Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
F-250 Truck & Patriot 3 Silverlite 3H
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-11 3:41 AM
16 replies, 5449 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

hullbrandon
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-07 2:17 PM (#933)
Subject: F-250 Truck & Patriot 3 Silverlite 3H

I have a 1999 F-250(Light Duty Series) and a 2004 Silverlite Patriot 3 3horse.  I have been towing with this for about a year.  Do you think that this is unsafe or how do you all feel?  The truck is a 4x2 and I have the airbags.  Thanks in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stymie
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-06-07 3:05 PM (#934 - in reply to #933)
Subject: RE: F-250 Truck & Patriot 3 Silverlite 3H

If you have the standard 4.6L engine then you might be giving it a good workout to get down the road. You would have to find out what your trailer weighs loaded. Max towing for your truck is 8,300 I have never had a LQ so I don't know how much weight that adds, but I'd guess you're close. If you are under & everything else is in good working order, then, Happy Towing!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-07 3:51 PM (#935 - in reply to #933)

If you have been hauling the trailer already, you are probably in a better position to tell if the truck can handle it. Does it have solid power passing or going up steep grades? Does it seem to be able to stop well? Feel pretty stable at highway speeds? Any reason to think your truck can't handle the weight? if it ain't broke, then don't fix it....
hullbrandon
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-07 5:21 PM (#936 - in reply to #933)

It doesn't have alot of power..  Going up hills we slow WAY down.  It does stop the trailer but in a quick stop it ain't going to happen.  I was just wondering how safe it is to be towing like this?  I have talked to a few people that say it is ok but then a few others say oh it is bad.  My trailer empty weighs a little over 7,000 lbs.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-07 6:39 PM (#937 - in reply to #933)

Your truck doesn't have the power to pull nor the power to stop. And you want to know if its safe?

hullbrandon
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-07 7:40 PM (#938 - in reply to #933)

Ok..  Just because it doesn't have power doesn't mean it is not safe...  You are going to tell me that any truck is going to stop a trailer with 2 or 3 horses in it fast.  I guess you aren't understanding my question.  I was wanting to know like is it legal to tow a trailer with this weight behind this truck.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-07 8:00 PM (#939 - in reply to #933)

Originally written by hullbrandon on 2006-06-07 8:40 PM

Ok..  Just because it doesn't have power doesn't mean it is not safe...  You are going to tell me that any truck is going to stop a trailer with 2 or 3 horses in it fast.  I guess you aren't understanding my question.  I was wanting to know like is it legal to tow a trailer with this weight behind this truck.

true, power has nothing to do with safety.  also true a loaded truck will not stop as fast.   if you are within the GVWR of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer you should be able to stop in the alloted amout of space dictated by whatever gov. agency has set for that weight class.

to answer your question of "legality", its not as clear.  depending on your local laws, license requirements, registration etc. can vary.  some states are only interested in axle weights and what the truck is registered for, some states are more strict.  what you need to do is to weigh the truck and trailer when loaded and get your axle weights.  then check the GVWR and axle limits to  make sure you are not over on either the truck or trailer. that will get you started and im sure more opinons will follow.

hullbrandon
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-07 8:39 PM (#940 - in reply to #933)

Originally written by chadsalt on 2006-06-07 6:00 PM

Originally written by hullbrandon on 2006-06-07 8:40 PM

true, power has nothing to do with safety.  also true a loaded truck will not stop as fast.   if you are within the GVWR of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer you should be able to stop in the alloted amout of space dictated by whatever gov. agency has set for that weight class.

to answer your question of "legality", its not as clear.  depending on your local laws, license requirements, registration etc. can vary.  some states are only interested in axle weights and what the truck is registered for, some states are more strict.  what you need to do is to weigh the truck and trailer when loaded and get your axle weights.  then check the GVWR and axle limits to  make sure you are not over on either the truck or trailer. that will get you started and im sure more opinons will follow.

Thanks.  That is kind of more what I was looking for..

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-06-08 6:30 AM (#941 - in reply to #933)

I had a 97 F250 "light duty" with the seven lug rims, and I can tell you, no you are not legal once you put a horse and tack in the trailer. Max trailer weight for that truck is 8200 pounds. So if your trailer really weighs 7000 empty your over your rated load once you get ready to take just one horse down the road.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-08 8:09 AM (#942 - in reply to #933)

Originally written by hullbrandon on 2006-06-07 1:17 PM

I have a 1999 F-250(Light Duty Series) and a 2004 Silverlite Patriot 3 3horse.  I have been towing with this for about a year.  Do you think that this is unsafe or how do you all feel?  The truck is a 4x2 and I have the airbags.  Thanks in advance.

You've already answered the question ... By installing the airbags; you acknowledged the inadequate load carrying capacity of your truck as originally built. While you've added to the rear springs, have you increased the capacity of the tires, axle, bearings, brakes, etc??

No .. So the truck is inadequate for the trailer...period 

Is it unsafe ? Depends on how you use the truck trailer combination. Failure at different speeds has different consequences. What is inconvenient at 10 mph is a total disaster at 50 mpg.

hullbrandon
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-08 9:44 AM (#943 - in reply to #933)

I guess I never really thought  about it all..  I did get new tires that are extra heavy duty, I am looking for a new truck, and I found one last night so hopefully I can make a deal on it.  Thanks everyone.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-08 10:19 AM (#944 - in reply to #933)

By installing the airbags; you acknowledged the inadequate load carrying capacity

Thats not always true.  On my old truck (03 dodge) when I hooked up my trailer it squated about 6 inches.   My truck was rated to carry more than what trailer I had weighed (pin and over all wt) and the leaf springs were flat, almost bowed upside down when I put the trailer on it.  When I asked dodge about this, they said that was how it should be since they made the springs longer so it would ride more like a car.  I wasn't comfortable with that and added helper springs so when My tralier was hooked up my truck didn't sink so far.  After I added the springs it only squated about 1 1/2 inches.

Both ways I was legal and I was more comfortable with it.  AND it "felt" like a truck again.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-08 11:49 AM (#945 - in reply to #933)

Originally written by Terri on 2006-06-08 11:19 AM

By installing the airbags; you acknowledged the inadequate load carrying capacity

Thats not always true.  On my old truck (03 dodge) when I hooked up my trailer it squated about 6 inches.   My truck was rated to carry more than what trailer I had weighed (pin and over all wt) and the leaf springs were flat, almost bowed upside down when I put the trailer on it.  When I asked dodge about this, they said that was how it should be since they made the springs longer so it would ride more like a car.  I wasn't comfortable with that and added helper springs so when My tralier was hooked up my truck didn't sink so far.  After I added the springs it only squated about 1 1/2 inches.

Both ways I was legal and I was more comfortable with it.  AND it "felt" like a truck again.

exactly. why does everyone assume that air bags/timbrens/extra springs are meant to increase the load capacity? some of us will gladly trade unloaded ride quality for less bounce when loaded to capacity....or under for that matter. ride quality is a matter of personal preference.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-08 12:12 PM (#946 - in reply to #933)

When I traded that truck in (1/2 ton), I went with a truck that was a year older(3/4 ton) and had the "old style" suspension.   My husband offered to get me a new one since he had just got a new RV, but I test drove it and looked underneath and it had the same elongated springs and went with the older one.   The only thing this truck doesn't have *yet* is power locks and a remote.  I miss my remote.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-09 5:02 PM (#947 - in reply to #933)

Air bags, timbrins, etc only serve to make the ride better. They do not increase the load capacity of the truck. I've used Timbrins on on a Ford F250 and a a Dodge Ram 250. They enable the truck to ride more level and with less bounce when loaded.

Any truck that won't stop when loaded is unsafe! Just because it'll pull the trailer doesn't make it safe.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-09 9:52 PM (#948 - in reply to #933)

They do not increase the load capacity of the truck

No one said they would.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-11 3:41 AM (#949 - in reply to #933)

hosspuller, once again you "have hit the nail square on the head"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)