Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
3 horse gn - 1/2 ton truck
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-10 9:09 PM
52 replies, 19391 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

4hmom
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-12 7:36 PM (#1024)
Subject: 3 horse gn - 1/2 ton truck

Hi,

I'm new to all of this, my daughter has gotten into 4-H and barrel racing, so I of course have been providing the transportation. My question is I have a 1997 GMC 1/2 ton 5.7k, 3.73 ratio with the towing package - trans cooler and a gooseneck set up.  The owners manual states 6500 lbs. max trailer weight, but this is for a bp.After doing a ton of shoping for a trailer I have found one the whole family can agree on. It is a three horse gn weight 3900. I don't really plan on hauling three horses probably two at the most. Please help.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-02-12 10:42 PM (#1025 - in reply to #1024)
Subject: RE: 3 horse gn - 1/2 ton truck

Welcome ... But what's the question?
4hmom
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-12 11:29 PM (#1026 - in reply to #1024)

Will my truck pull this trailer? I won't be driving more than 35 miles one way on paved highway.
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-02-13 5:09 AM (#1027 - in reply to #1024)

The question isnt will it pullit. Of couse it will you could add firestone air bags very cheap 350.00.

The question is should you. As long as you are willing to assume the liability if something goes wrong. Once and acciden occurs if you are over the weight the manufacture suggest you will be hammered.
Looks like you have about 2,500 lbs to play with 3 horses and you are at the max. And that dosent include tack feed water etc.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-02-13 9:14 AM (#1028 - in reply to #1024)

Originally written by 4hmom on 2005-02-12 6:36 AM

My question is I have a 1997 GMC 1/2 ton 5.7k, 3.73 ratio with the towing package - trans cooler and a gooseneck set up.  The owners manual states 6500 lbs. max trailer weight, but this is for a bp.After doing a ton of shoping for a trailer I have found one the whole family can agree on. It is a three horse gn weight 3900. I don't really plan on hauling three horses probably two at the most. Please help.

The major issue 1/2 ton trucks have with a GN trailer is the hitch weight.    They just squat their suspension with the weight. As a guesstimate, the hitch weight will be 20% of the loaded trailer weight.  Compare that with the payload rating of the truck minus passengers and stuff weight. 

With the limitation of only local flatland trips. The truck will pull it.  The transmission and suspension wil take a beating.  Keep your tires correctly inflated for max load. 

But, I wonder why this truck has a GN hitch in it.  Did the former owner's try a GN and decide it wasn't satisfactory?  You may be headed down that same road.

4hmom
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-13 10:54 AM (#1029 - in reply to #1024)

So if I understand what I've been reading in past threads and here, it is better to use a bp than a gn. I had thought a gn was more stable, better weight dist. The truck was used with the gn, it has hd gas shocks and heavier leafs in the rear.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-02-13 11:00 AM (#1030 - in reply to #1024)

No, it is always better to have a GN over a BP but it is not advisable to tow 3 horses with 1/2 T.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-02-13 11:06 AM (#1031 - in reply to #1024)

I asked this same question when I was looking for a new rig... I ended up buying a 3/4 ton and I'm glad I did.

My father had a 3H BP and a friends asked to borrow it, hauled it with a 1/2 ton - they blew the engine. It was an 1989 steel so it was on the heavy side... but they were only hauling one horse. I think 3H especially a BP is just a little too much for a 1/2 ton.

Like mentioned above, it will haul it... but you run the risk of truck problems with the strain and liability issues if something goes wrong. 99.9% chance you will have no problems that will cause an accident - but if it happens a 1/2 ton will be less likely to get you out of a hairy situation - not to say a 3/4 ton will - but you'll have a better chance or getting away with evasive manuvers. Now saying that we did haul a 4H head to head GN for years with a 1/2 ton and didn't have any problems... it's really up to you and the risks you are willing to take.

As for the "only" 35 miles... don't count on it  - things like "horse shows" (and anything horse related) have a way of getting bigger, better, more expensive and farther away LOL.

If I were you I'd go for an aluminum - or other version of light wieght 2 horse - or a bigger truck. JMO

Edited by MBRA518 2005-02-13 11:12 AM
4hmom
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-13 11:58 AM (#1032 - in reply to #1024)

Wish I had the money to get a bigger truck and the trailer, but can only afford one truck and one trailer payment at a time. Have to have the bigger trailer so my claserphobic(sp) horse will load.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-02-13 9:50 PM (#1033 - in reply to #1024)

I bought a nice used 3 horse gooseneck because my horse initially needed the extra room (and I wanted to live a long a healthy life, if you get my drift :) Now that he's a confident hauler, I can pick up a friend/s and we can all go together. I have a 3/4 ton truck 6.0 Liter with towing package and a 3,800 lb 3 horse goosneck. I haul 1 horse in most of the time. I think I could get away with a 1/2 ton just hauling the 1 horse, but the truck's tranny or engine life would be short. Of course, there are alot of BIG hills here, and mountain ranges to cross if you want to go east. I would think that if you have relatively flat terrain you'd be okay with 1 or 2 small to average size horses. The total load your truck can accomodate includes your trailer, horses, saddles, equipment, feed and don't forget the human passengers too. Coming close to your weight capacity is kind of like gambling in my opinion. How much risk are you willing to take and for how long.
gabz
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2005-02-14 11:40 AM (#1034 - in reply to #1024)

You've gotten quite a few answers - but I bet you don't feel like you have the answer to YOUR question do you? No one here can say "yes" do it. 

Is the truck one that you have owned all along and you know its history? Or is it being sold with the trailer?  Is the trailer at a dealer or nearby location where you can test drive it?  Hook it up and see how much it "squats"?? 

How much cargo / passengers do you expect to have in the truck when towing? How much extra stuff will be in the trailer besides the horses?  Are you in a hilly/mountainous area or completely flat? Can you drive at 55 mph on the "highway" or do you have to do 70 mph to avoid trouble? These are some of the other factors to consider if you expect to load up to the maximum with horses that are top-heavy and shift.

If you are hauling just the trailer, tack and MAX 2 horses (at 1100 pounds or less) and 1 passenger and you have an extended cab truck, flat terrain, 55 mph, excellent brakes on both the truck and trailer and correctly adjusted brake controller, you could be perfectly fine.  If you have a regular cab, put 3 adults in there, plus 2 or 3 bales of hay and large coolers filled with ice and food and beverages, 30 gallons of water, etc., etc, plus 2 horses and tack, it all adds up and can create a very unsafe situation - plus put you over your gross combined weight rating so that if you had an accident, you would be at fault for being over-loaded. 

Bottom line - it's not just if the truck can move it, it's how WELL the truck can HANDLE it.  Depending on some other factors, you could be just fine ...  but without knowing all the details, it's hard to say.

Good luck.  

4hmom
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-14 5:21 PM (#1035 - in reply to #1024)

I have had the truck for about two years. I've not had any trouble with it. Right now I am hauling a small ( really small ) 2 horse bp. I can haul the 2 horses in it without any problems. I need to ba able to haul my thrid horse (only at fair time) about two miles,but she will not load in the small trailer and I hate to borrow someone else's trailer or bum a ride for the horse. As I stated before I can't afford another truck payment and a trailer payment besides the one I already have.

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-02-14 7:12 PM (#1036 - in reply to #1024)

Originally written by 4hmom on 2005-02-14 6:21 PM

I have had the truck for about two years. I've not had any trouble with it. Right now I am hauling a small ( really small ) 2 horse bp. I can haul the 2 horses in it without any problems. I need to ba able to haul my thrid horse (only at fair time) about two miles,but she will not load in the small trailer and I hate to borrow someone else's trailer or bum a ride for the horse. As I stated before I can't afford another truck payment and a trailer payment besides the one I already have.

Well If I were you I'd buy the lightest 3H gooseneck I could find and know your limits... you wont be hauling through the rocky's with it :D  But stay below your ratings and you should be ok for the amount of hauling you're planning... Stay up to date on all your truck maintenence and maybe in a few years you can go for the bigger truck. - That's what I would do anyway

RES1
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-02-15 6:37 AM (#1037 - in reply to #1024)

I did this for a year until I could afford a 1-ton.

I had a 1998 Ford F-150, 8 ft. bed with extended cab, 4X4. My max. allowable G-neck weight was, according to the owners manual, 6,900 lbs. I was a little over that at times. I had to be very careful. Experiance helps. For example, and I don't want the ladies out there to get upset with me because I will be using my wife as an example only because she was in-experianced with towing a trailer. She could not operate the 1/2 ton with the G-neck. It was to much for her. Now we have the 1-ton she has no problem. Its alot more stable.

Bottom line is you know your own limitations on what you can handle. Just be careful.

Good luck.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-02-15 4:46 PM (#1038 - in reply to #1024)

res1

if you dont mind my asking what exactly do you mean your wife couldnt operate the 1/2 ton but has no problem with the 1 ton?  and i coulndnt agree more with "know your limitations"

RES1
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-02-16 6:18 AM (#1039 - in reply to #1024)

chadsalt

The lack of stability is what she had trouble with. She did not feel comfortable/safe operating the 1/2 ton with the G-neck. She never pulled a trailer with anything before, let alone something that was a little shaky.

Then again some individuals limitations are that of walking, if you know what I'm saying!

The is more confident with the 1-ton pulling the trailer, as she should be because its the proper set up.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-02-16 7:20 PM (#1040 - in reply to #1024)

thanks, and i know what youre saying
gbl
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-02-21 11:39 AM (#1041 - in reply to #1024)

I've had alot of experience pulling a 3h GN with a 2002 F150 (1/2 ton) Supercrew.  I'm a structural engineer and I ran all the numbers on it.  That said, it wasn't much fun....stressful.  Never broke anything and never had an accident.  We were only going to use it for short little pulls.  They got longer and longer.  Now we do about 12 weekends worth of competitions along with at least another 60 short trips each year.  We pull it now w/ a Dodge 3500 srw diesel.  Much better (except I wish it had 4wd). 

From what you've described my two bits worth is to fix the horse.  It can be done.  I know I don't know the whole story but there's been more than a few times where a few of us have nearly picked up the back end of a horse to get 'em in.  Get someone who can work with the horse and unless it's brain dead the horse WILL learn.  It's much cheaper, too.  Good luck!

ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-21 1:20 PM (#1042 - in reply to #1024)

From what I have seen on this site everyone here thinks the only thing you can pull a horse trailer with is a dually. I think that is completely nuts!!! A 3- horse gn is a piece of cake behind a 1/2 ton.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-02-21 1:34 PM (#1043 - in reply to #1024)

No, we figure out the weights of the truck and trailer and go from there.  We recommend duallys because of the safety and stability issues.  You don't need a dually to pull a 3H with dressing room but it does make it safer.  Can you legally and safely haul a 3H with a 1/2 T?  Well, that depends on the trailer and the amount of weight you haul.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-21 1:37 PM (#1044 - in reply to #1024)

Considering the truck already has the heavy duty shocks and springs, this will help keep the truck from setting too low.  All in all, if you are only going 35 miles and are traveling on flat ground you should not have any troubles.  If the truck is already has the hitch and brake controls I would hook to it and see how it handles.  I know the challenges that many parents face with getting their kids and animals to shows each year.  I am an extension agent in charge of 4-H for my county, and I am constantly seeing every configuration in transporting all types of livestock.  In most cases, the shows are mainly local and you do not have that many in a year.  I would not want to haul all three horses at once for a long period of time.  However, if you are only moving them down the road to the fairgrounds, you should make it just fine.  Hope ya'll have a good show season. 

ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-21 2:02 PM (#1045 - in reply to #1024)

I agree most newcomers would be scared-to-death after reading this site. You will get along just fine with your 1/2 ton.
ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-21 2:14 PM (#1046 - in reply to #1024)

A 3-horse gn is going to be easier to pull than your 2-horse bumper. If you are comfortable with your 2-horse you will love your GN 3-horse.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-02-21 4:27 PM (#1047 - in reply to #1024)

Yep, she will love a GN but will she be legal?
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-02-21 4:38 PM (#1048 - in reply to #1024)

I will agree with you that often it is the opinion of many on this site to over truck... which is fine, nothing wrong with that... I don't agree that you NEED to over truck, but I would never advise someone to go over tow ratings... they are there for a reason, yes there are safety factors built in - but why mess with those numbers. And yes I have driven a 1/2 ton that was over weighted and no nothing happened... but I certainly wouldn't advise it.

Edited by MBRA518 2005-02-21 4:58 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)