Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
truck buying dilemma
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-10 7:37 AM
6 replies, 6142 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

candace
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 11:23 AM (#1112)
Subject: truck buying dilemma

HI ALL,

I NEED SOME OPINIONS OUT THERE.  GETTING READY TO BUY A TRUCK FOR HAULING MY HORSE TRAILER AND CANT DECIDE.  RIGHT NOW LOOKING AT A 2004 CHEVY 1 TON DUALLY WITH DIESEL 8CYLINDER & 6.6LITER ENGINE.  ALSO A 2004 FORD DUALLY DIESEL WITH 8 CYLINDER 6.0 LITER ENGINE.  BOTH ARE 4WD.  ALSO A 2002 GAS MODEL CHEVY 2WD DUALLY WITH 8 CYLINDER 6.0 LITER ENGINE.  THE FORD SEEMS TO BE A BIGGER BODY AND SIT HIGHER UP THAN THE CHEVY.  aNY OPINIONS OUT THERE?  RIGHT NOW I HAUL A BUMPER PULL TRAILER BUT LOOKING TO BUY A 2-3 HORSE WITH SMALL LIVING QTRS IN NEAR FUTURE. 

ANY OPINIONS OUT THERE AS TO SIZE OR ENGINE SIZES?  THANKS

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 1:37 PM (#1113 - in reply to #1112)
Subject: RE: truck buying dilemma

With the 4wd's, you have to be careful about how high the bed is if you do go with a gooseneck later. Read the many posts about new truck/old trailer syndrome. The Fords are especially high and that can make for all sorts of problems when matching a gn trailer. Do you really need that height? Most of the new trailers have taken the truck manufacturer's bed height into account and adjusted their gn, but you lose sleeping room height on most of them.....Something to think about! Have fun and choose carefully!
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 1:46 PM (#1114 - in reply to #1112)

At one point, Ford was offering to lower the rear end of their trucks to help accomodate those with gooseneck trailers free of charge.  I would check to see if they are still offering this should it be an issue for you when choosing the Ford.
keliy23
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 1:51 PM (#1115 - in reply to #1112)

You also might want to do a comparison with Gas motors to Diesel motors.  I am sure you can search this here also.  Thinking of gas cost per mileage under pulling and diesel cost per mileage under pulling.  The diesel engine may cost more at the purchase but might save more during travelling, or vis-versa.  Comparing high mileage and resale value, Diesel motor and high mileage is not frowned apon as much as gas motors. Repairs, which motor is more likely in need to be repaired first.  Which motor is cheaper to repair when broke. Yet which motor is more likely to break more often.

Sorry for all that, just want to bring the ideas of gas versus diesel while you are comparing a Chevy & Ford diesel with a Chevy gas...

Hope these ideas and opinions help...

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-09 2:09 PM (#1116 - in reply to #1112)

Both Ford and Dodge did have free lowering kits available - don't know if they still do. I took advantage of the kit, but still had to raise my trailer. The kit only lowered the truck 3"....not enough to make the trailer ride level.
paintthatain't
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-10 12:03 AM (#1117 - in reply to #1112)

Right now I pull a 3hrs gn w/ my '03 chevy 2500HD Duramax 4X4 and wouldn't trade it for the world. My boss bought a '03 2500HD w/ 6.0L 4X4 and hated it. It had good power but got poor mileage when towing. The new ford diesel seems to have lots of power but I would go with the gearbox with all the Auto tranny probs.

As for ride height if you buy a trailer newer than a '99 alot of the manufactures have designed the gooseneck for higher bed rails. My Boss's new truck '05 Dodge 1ton diesel 4X4 sits really high but their new exiss 3Hrs w/LQ sits pretty level. Hope this helps a little.

CS

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-10 7:37 AM (#1118 - in reply to #1112)

WOW !
Assuming this isn't just for the fun of dis/cuss ing Ford vs GM...

If you're looking at NEW '04 leftovers I'd guess you should be able to drive a SUPER DEAL on either one. America is overstocked with pleasure pick-ups and large SUVs, partly because of fuel prices. Say, WAYYYYyyyy overstocked.
I've seen ads for Diesel and 5 speed option package for "free", also 50% off list price and the GM employee purchase price for everyone.
The '05s will also soon become leftovers.

My bias is in favor of the Duramax with 5 speed automatic Allison trans.
The GM/Chev duallies have a narrower rear track than the Dodge or Ford, so if width is an issue where you have to drive you might want to consider that.
You'll have to decide for yourself which anecdotal reports you will allow to affect your buying decision, there are plenty on the truck forums.
Personally I don't buy into JD Powers quality rating methods, but I've been six sigma and Edwards Demming trained - yeah, so what ? (-:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)