Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Question for Mr. Truck
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-28 3:15 AM
10 replies, 5720 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

andrea
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2005-06-17 4:00 PM (#1172)
Subject: Question for Mr. Truck

I'm switching from a truck with a wheelbase of 160", to one with 194"; my trailer is long, and my driveway entrance is a bit tight.

I can't seem to figure out in my head whether this (length in front of the hitch) will make a difference in my entry or not....

What do you think?

Thanks,  Andrea

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2005-06-20 12:42 AM (#1173 - in reply to #1172)
Subject: RE: Question for Mr. Truck

Hi, didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. I'm in Texas at the http://www.hemitruckclub.com/ rally in Arlington and will tour a couple of factories on the way home, including Cimarron in OK. So my answers will be coming slow.

I don't now if your new truck will turn enough. Some of the class 4 and 5 trucks, like 05 F450 and all the GMC4500's have more wheel cut and will turn shorter than small trucks. Even the Freightliner M2 in a Sportchasis will out turn most 3/4 ton trucks. So borrow a truck like it and experiment on your nieghbors driveway.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-20 7:47 AM (#1174 - in reply to #1172)

Originally written by Andrea on 2005-06-17 5:00 AM

I'm switching from a truck with a wheelbase of 160", to one with 194"; my trailer is long, and my driveway entrance is a bit tight.

I can't seem to figure out in my head whether this (length in front of the hitch) will make a difference in my entry or not....

Adding to Mr Truck's reply .. Not knowing the specific trucks... You could look up the published turning radius of the two trucks to compare. 

The same truck, but one longer than the other... the longer truck will have a larger turning radius.  You will have to start the turn sooner with the longer truck.  Depending on the width of the roads, you may still be able to make the turn on your driveway.

andrea
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2005-06-24 4:18 PM (#1175 - in reply to #1172)

I would love to borrow one and try it out....but it's not an option.  The closest one like it (that I know) is over an hour away, and not someone I really know.

My current truck is a 2000 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab dually, long bed.  I'm looking at the super-crewzer.

I'm currently trying to locate published turning radius data on each truck (as suggested), but haven't found it yet.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit....

Thanks! Andrea

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-24 4:38 PM (#1176 - in reply to #1172)

I had a similar question a while back. See post #20445. The end result of that was that my friend had the approach into her driveway widened because she couldn't widen her own drive to the extent necessary. Her new trailer is the same length as mine, but her truck wheelbase is longer by 18". Her turns with her new rig require more space for the outside of the turn (therefore the wider road into her driveway), but her new rig doesn't "cut" the turns the way mine does (because of her longer wheelbase). So, in a tight spot, I can turn tighter, but I might take out a post in the center of my circle. She needs more overall room to turn, but she won't take out the post. Does that make sense?
andrea
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2005-06-24 4:57 PM (#1177 - in reply to #1172)

Hi Gemm,

I'd love to read the post(s), but I must be a dork or soemthing.  I'm trying to do a search for anything containing 20445, and it only points me to your most recent post to me....Suggestions?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-24 5:39 PM (#1178 - in reply to #1172)

Yes, it will make a difference, but it is hard to predict where and by how much. Longer trucks can sometimes turn a sharper curve than shorter ones, but to get the front fenders though a gap (fences, hedges) the pivot point will be farther back (about 3ft in your case), so the trailer will follow "later" and cut more.

I tried to do the math on this for the old thread.
There have been a LOT of attempts at this, various models exist in LightWave and there are papers written for the design and layout of loading dock areas. Most of these assume a single truck/trailer size, either 48 or 53ft., the generalized solution is probably still waiting to be done.

Basically I gave up on it, the biggest reason being that there is an easy way to "cheat" the limitations.
Drive a bit too far to make the turn with the truck, make it as far as you can, then do a half baked 3 point turn to get the truck in, straighten out as soon as possible. If this doesn't work,,, well, first get out of the jam you just got into. Then back it in, you'll usually have a much better chance backwards and in some cases thats the only way to get the truck out again when you unhook.

================================
If the Chrome don't stick, sell it on e-bay.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-24 7:24 PM (#1179 - in reply to #1172)

On second (third and fourth) thoughts, the answer to your exact question is quite simple, "approximately 34 more inches".
Here's why: To get the trailer to take the same path you need the (new) truck's rear axle to take the same path. To make that happen with a truck that has 34 inches more front on it and 'about' the same turning circle, you need a driveway that is 34 inches wider, though only for enough distance until you straighten out again. If you can't clear fence, hedge, ditch on the outside of the turn you'll have to do it on the inside (or "clipping") edge. Anyway, that is a fair approximation, maybe 18 inches off each edge for 60 ft or so ?

I think the "limit" of what you can turn into (pun) is when you can get the truck 90 degrees across the road with the trailer along the road and it's wheels almost in the ditch opposite the driveway. Just remember that when you drive in from this position your trailer isn't following you initially, it is spinning and SWEEPING a large area, anything in it's path is likely to get hit. Watch out for trees, mail boxes, etc. that the truck made it
around quite easily.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-25 5:51 PM (#1180 - in reply to #1172)

Andrea - Go to the "Search" button (upper left of your screen), put "turn radius" into Keyword, gemm into Author, and check several months back. I found alot of other info with the keyword option. Good Luck!
andrea
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2005-06-27 12:01 PM (#1181 - in reply to #1172)

Thank you all for your thoughtful help!!!  I appreciate it.  I'm off to measure my driveway, and look up the old thread.

Thanks!!!

Andrea

MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2005-06-28 3:15 AM (#1182 - in reply to #1172)

Another thought, since you are going to a Ford F650, if you have extra capacity with this larger truck, you can move the ball back almost to the rear of the Supercruiser bed. I've done that on a C6500 Chevy and corners similar to a bumper pull trailer by pulling the trailer threw the corner farther. You can move the ball back on a heavy truck and not loose steering weight to where you'd notice and float.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)