Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
short-be truck - can it pull a gooseneck trailer?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-21 3:59 PM
13 replies, 7358 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

ggildone
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-06-20 4:04 PM (#1183)
Subject: short-be truck - can it pull a gooseneck trailer?

I am looking to buy a new chevy diesel truck. Can it pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer? Is there enough clearance? Thanks so much.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-20 5:31 PM (#1184 - in reply to #1183)
Subject: RE: short-be truck - can it pull a gooseneck trailer?

I use a Ford Crew Cab with a Short bed to pull my 3 Horse gooseneck and it has done very well. Check your particular trailer to make sure it will clear the cab when you make tight turns. That's more a problem of the radius of the trailer front end.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-20 7:21 PM (#1185 - in reply to #1183)

Originally written by ggildone on 2005-06-20 4:04 PM

I am looking to buy a new chevy diesel truck. Can it pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer? Is there enough clearance? Thanks so much.

Yes, but it may or may not need a gooseneck extention.
It will also depend on the trailer's width at the nose.
Basically you want the ball to be 4 or 5 inches in front of the rear axle's center line, this is a load balance issue. The relevant measurement is "cab to axle" and it is typically 58 to 60 inches for a full sized truck. To allow the trailer to get 90 degrees to the truck without cracking it on the cab (half the width of the nose of the trailer) needs to be less than the ball to cab measurement (likely about 40 inches for a "short bed"). So, for a 7ft wide trailer the distance from the coupler to the outside edge of the trailer is 42 inches (less if it has a tapered nose), the distance from the ball to the cab is a couple of inches less than that, so you would probably need an extender. See other threads on just this topic, it has been discussed and solved here MANY times.

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-20 8:37 PM (#1186 - in reply to #1183)

Hi there,

I have an '04 Duramax 3/4 ton and I pull a 3horse GN with 6' short wall LQ and no problems to speak of. I love it, and it pulls like a dream, oh and the truck does too. No problems with clearance, although when backing up it seems like the nose of the GN is RIGHT THERE in the back window and you almost cringe to think of it hitting the  cab of the truck but no problems. I can see why people buy long beds though......................Did I say I love my Duramax?

budgoetz
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-20 9:26 PM (#1187 - in reply to #1183)

OK, since you've heard from Ford and GM, here's a report from Dodge. 

I have a 04 2500 Quad Cab short bed, I pull a 3 horse slant load with no problems.  No extender, but the trailer does have a tapered nose. 

By the way, the Dodge / Cummins pulls like a dream

Dawnya
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-20 11:37 PM (#1188 - in reply to #1183)

Cosmopolitan (shaken..not stirred)

Originally written by budgoetz on 2005-06-20 9:26 PM

OK, since you've heard from Ford and GM, here's a report from Dodge. 

I have a 04 2500 Quad Cab short bed, I pull a 3 horse slant load with no problems.  No extender, but the trailer does have a tapered nose. 

By the way, the Dodge / Cummins pulls like a dream

Yep.  That goes for me too.

equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-06-21 7:49 AM (#1189 - in reply to #1183)
Subject: Trailer questions

I have pulled 2 different trailers with a short bed Silverado...with no problems....but both trailers have been 7' wide or less...The problems seem to arise with the wider trailers (8')...that have a very "square" nose.If tapered, will increase your turning radius but would probabley be better..(less scarey) with an "extender".
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-06-21 7:57 AM (#1190 - in reply to #1183)
Subject: Trailer questions

I forgot to add, I am now pulling a 3 horse slant with an 8'SW LQ...7' wide...no problems with the Silverado (short-bed) and no extender needed.
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-21 8:01 AM (#1191 - in reply to #1183)

Does it matter how long the gooseneck is ??  Is a 7' easier to turn than an 8' or the other way around ?  I have a short bed ( Ford ) and am picking up my trailer this week with a 8' gooseneck bed.  It is tappered.
Dawnya
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 8:18 AM (#1192 - in reply to #1183)

Cosmopolitan (shaken..not stirred)

Originally written by highgatefarm on 2005-06-21 8:01 AM

Does it matter how long the gooseneck is ??  Is a 7' easier to turn than an 8' or the other way around ?  I have a short bed ( Ford ) and am picking up my trailer this week with a 8' gooseneck bed.  It is tappered.

7 and 8 are referrring to how wide the trailer is.  From tire to tire, axle width.  All trailers (nearly all) have a 8' nose.  We're just saying that if you have a short bed truck, you really need to have a tapered nose on the trailer.

Edited by Dawnya 2005-06-21 8:20 AM
brdrline
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 12:55 PM (#1193 - in reply to #1183)

Sparky

Originally written by Dawnya on 2005-06-21 8:18 AM

Originally written by highgatefarm on 2005-06-21 8:01 AM

7 and 8 are referrring to how wide the trailer is.  From tire to tire, axle width.  All trailers (nearly all) have a 8' nose.  We're just saying that if you have a short bed truck, you really need to have a tapered nose on the trailer.

Best to measure it!! Someone asked me that specifically on a Hart I had for sell. Was it an 8' long or a 7'? They wanted me to actually measure it. I figured it was 8'. It was 7' long, from the tip of the nose to the wall (beginning of the interior). I haven't actually measured my Elite yet but I would say my first impression is that it is somewhat longer than the Hart was! Actually...the piece of foam that we sleep on DOES have more room on the ends of it....

I would agree on picking a tapered nose instead of a square nose.

haul_n_horses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 3:23 PM (#1194 - in reply to #1183)

You most defiantly can! 

(8' Wide 3 horse w/ 8' Short Wall) American Spirit of course

As long as it has some type of tapered nose on it, you will be more than fine with out an extender.  But, if it is a flat front then there is a 99% chance that you will need an extender of some sort.  Just enjoy your trailer.

haul_n_horses

Edited by haul_n_horses 2005-06-21 3:27 PM
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 3:55 PM (#1195 - in reply to #1183)

I pull a 7' wide Bison with the pop-up hitch mounted in the normal frame/bed position and have no problems with my shortbed Ford, like the one in the picture from hauln'horses. By the way, nice rig Taylor. Nice to see you pull what you design! And of course the Ford in front helps make it even better.

Bill W
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-06-21 3:59 PM (#1196 - in reply to #1183)

Edited by Bill W 2005-12-22 6:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)