Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck Shopping - ?'s
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-19 4:03 PM
3 replies, 4804 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

TLDief
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-19 3:19 PM (#1261)
Subject: Truck Shopping - ?'s

We are getting ready to start truck shopping for a replacement truck  and my head is spinning from all the research I have been trying to do plus I have read posts all the way back to the beginning of the year.  I thought I would ask the experts here for some straight up advise.

Will be pulling an 06 Featherlite 8541 3 hrs gn with a 6ft sw.  DR is not finished.  Generally I only haul one horse a couple of times a month BUT this rig is used 2 or more times a month to haul my son's show goats. Some of these trips are 500 miles one way.   Looking at an average of about 3500 lbs of honking meat goats plus another 1000 lbs of equipment and feed (yes, I take everything but the kitchen sink and would if I could).  I will also have to use the truck as my everyday drive for about a year which is 120 miles round trip to the office and about 3/4 of that trip is highway.

Would love a 4x4 for the peace of mind and fear of getting stuck in downtown KC in a snow storm.  But may have to live with a 4x2 because of dollars.  Have not owned a diesel since the late 80's.  Hubby prefers gas and I don't have a preference.  Hubby does not like Dodge products but it doesn't matter to me.

Looking for best truck for the job and (if possible) decent gas mileage for the commute.

Fire away (in plain english please - my brain is already overloaded).

Thanks in advance.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-06-19 3:59 PM (#1262 - in reply to #1261)
Subject: RE: Truck Shopping - ?'s

Hubby may not like it, but...

I don't really like dodge per se but my experience and affinity for Cummins engines is what sold me on my Dodge Ram.

I'd try to find a used dodge 3/4 ton diesel. Find an '03 or '04 Hight Output with the pre-CA emission requirement - they still had the 100k powertrain warranty. I get 20 highway and 12 pulling 4 horses in our aluminum LQ trailer. Plenty of smooth power and it's fine around town.

If Ford is more your style, and for something a little older, try to find a Ford with the 7.3 diesel

LAXPatrick
RoperChick
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 4:03 PM (#1263 - in reply to #1261)

If it were me, the first thing I would look at is the weight of your trailer, loaded to the max, this includes horses/goats, tack, feed, kitchen sink (you travel like I do etc.  

When you are truck shopping you should look at the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) for the truck.  The GCVWR includes the weight of your loaded trailer and the truck, including all fluids, cargo and passengers.  In addition, you should also pay attention to the max trailer tongue weight for your truck.  Once you know what kind of weight you are looking at you'll have a better idea if you need a 3/4 ton, 1-ton or larger truck.

For fuel mileage, dependability and re-sale I think a diesel is the way to go.  They cost more to maintain, but they get much better mileage than a gas engine both when towing and not towing.  As for the brand, any of the big 3 will do the job, but if it were me, and I was shopping for a diesel, I would stay away from the 6.0 Ford Diesel.  I'd buy a used Ford with the 7.3 Diesel or go to Chevy or Dodge. 

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 4:03 PM (#1264 - in reply to #1261)

I have an '03 Dodge 2500 4 door w/ Cummins diesel and auto trans. Pretty much an off-the-shelf 3/4 T truck. It gets 20-22 mpg just driving around - no jack rabbit starts, etc. We pull a 3 horse 32 ft. Bison goose neck w/full lq. Usually load 2 horses and use the 3rd stall for storage of "everything but the kitchen sink", load up our two dogs, a generator, 65 gal. water tank and misc. stuff in the truck bed and hit the road. Fully loaded we cross the scale at 23,700 lbs; truck, trailer, hay, horses, dogs and 2 people. The truck plays with the trailer and gets 10-13 mpg loaded depending on highway speed - Interstates vs winding mountain roads. Last year we drove east to Pennsylvania and west to the black Hills in So. Dakota and south to Tennessee and Arkansas with no problems.

This truck will handle your daily commute and haul your goats, etc with ease. I'd imagine a similar Ford or Chevvy would also fill the bill. Don't try to get by with a 1/2 T, they're tooight duty for what you want to pull. I also don't think you need a big honkin dually or more. Not ecomical for driving to work. Just my opinion.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)