Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
looking for honest answer freightliner speed
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-17 11:21 AM
6 replies, 6766 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

dano
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-03-04 9:09 PM (#2239)
Subject: looking for honest answer freightliner speed

ive got the bug to get a sport chassis a used one probably 2000-2003 based on costs. currently using a 2006 550 crew cab with a hauler bed its nice but its not a freightliner. my question is will the freightliner do 85 mph? im in flat land midwest and when i use the truck i find myself traveling usually at 80 85. some have told me the truck will do 85 others say its governed at 73. whos right? ps i tow about 14000 lbs
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-06 12:55 PM (#2240 - in reply to #2239)
Subject: RE: looking for honest answer freightliner speed

These trucks can be built with different engines, transmissions, rear end ratios, and tire sizes, all of which affect cruising speed. You will have to look at each individual truck and see how it is set up.

Bill

dano
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-03-09 9:59 AM (#2241 - in reply to #2239)

i would like to here from freightliner owners as to how trucks are set up to be able to sfely do what i want to do!
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-10 1:18 PM (#2243 - in reply to #2239)

Are you thinking Freightliner only, or have you thought about International or Ford? In any case, you'll probably want 300 HP to run down the road like that. If it were me and I were buying used I would go with a "wet sleeve" engine. You'll probably want 800 lbs/ft or better of torque. If you're buying one that was originally set up as a hauler,  it will probably have an Allison 3060 automatic transmission. That trans has a double overdrive- high gear is a .65 to 1 ratio. That with a 3.90 or 4.10 ratio and 22.5 lo-pro tires should do what you want it to do. What you want to be careful of is medium duty trucks with manual transmissions. Typically those will have a high gear that is not an overdrive- it will be a 1:1 direct drive. Those trucks will usually be "gear bound"- 65 or 70 MPH trucks.

dano
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-03-10 7:13 PM (#2245 - in reply to #2239)

thanks for the input! thats more info than anyone has given me so far! i am looking for a auto freightliner sport chassis my budget is only going to allow a 99 to maybe 2002 or 3 can all have cats turned up to 300 hp? again automatic only thanks
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-10 10:36 PM (#2248 - in reply to #2239)

The 3126 Cat is not a wet sleeve engine. It is a parent bore V8. Some people call a parent bore engine a "throwaway block". That's not quite true- they can be overhauled, but they have to be pulled completely out of the truck, disassembled, and machined. A wet sleeve engine can have an "in frame overhaul" done on it. It can have piston, rings, liners, and bearings put in all without removing the engine from the truck. This keeps your labor costs down- and at $55 to $110 per hour for shop time, you'll want all the help you can get.
If you buy a truck with the 3126 Cat, you'll want to be sure it's already at 300 HP. If not, it can uaully be done, but it involves changing a lot of parts, and it is very expensive. Also, if I was looking at a truck with a CAT in it, I would want to make arangements to have a CAT shop look it over and run it on a dyno. They can check it's overall condition, power, and blowby. That will help give you an idea of what you're buying.

Bill  
bdub08
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-03-17 11:21 AM (#2252 - in reply to #2239)

Dano....I am going to keep my post Sport Chassis specific.....Yes the Sport Chassis will run 92 MPH in the 330 MBE powerplant. In the CAT 3126 powerplant you will not get that much...mostly around 80-85 as you are looking for...
You will be around 860 ft lbs torque on the CAT and 1000 ft lbs on the MBE......with the MBE 330, you get the TRV3200 series Allison, thus the more torque.....you get the TRV 3000 on the CAT 3126 300.....Now this info is Sport Chassis specific like I said...there are other set ups with other manufactures of trucks ...I sell these trucks, so if you have any other questions, feel free to contact me thru IM.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)