Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Towing Capacity
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-13 10:44 AM
2 replies, 6922 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

HorsePoor2
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-12 2:49 PM (#2249)
Subject: Towing Capacity

I am shopping around looking at used trucks. Unfortunately that means dealing with Used Car dealers and such. No one can really give me a straight answer when I ask what the max towing weight is for that truck.

The good thing is I am only looking at F350 Super Duties. Each year has a weight range for the different suspension options but when you look at a used truck it is hard to tell what it has unless you really know what to look for. Unfortunately, I don't.... What should I ask or look for. There is a sticker on most doors that has a GAWR for each axle. Now do you combine the front and back to get the total towing weight????

Any help is appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-13 10:21 AM (#2250 - in reply to #2249)
Subject: RE: Towing Capacity

HorsePoor2 - 2008-03-12 1:49 PM I am shopping around looking at used trucks. Unfortunately that means dealing with Used Car dealers and such. No one can really give me a straight answer when I ask what the max towing weight is for that truck. The good thing is I am only looking at F350 Super Duties. Each year has a weight range for the different suspension options but when you look at a used truck it is hard to tell what it has unless you really know what to look for. Unfortunately, I don't.... What should I ask or look for. There is a sticker on most doors that has a GAWR for each axle. Now do you combine the front and back to get the total towing weight???? Any help is appreciated.

I feel your pain! Actually, to get Ford's recomended tow capacity, I think you will have to look at their new truck literature for the year you are looking at. I've looked at my stuff, and it doesn't show the GCWR(gross combined weight rating).
As far as the axle weight ratings, that is what the mfr states each axle's loaded capacity is. For example, if your rear axle weight rating is 5500 lbs, with your trailer hooked up, loaded and ready to go, if you weighed your rear axle only, you would not want it to be over 5500 lbs.
The GVWR of the vehicle is affected by the axle ratings, but adding the axle ratings together does not always give you the GVWR. The GVWR is for the vehicle itself, and doesn't include the trailer. Now if you pull a gooseneck, a significant part of your trailer weight is on the truck. You will want to load your trailer, then go weigh the truck only, (don't put the trailer axles on the scale), and that weight should not exceed the GVWR of the truck.
So have I made this as clear as mud?

Bill
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-03-13 10:44 AM (#2251 - in reply to #2249)
Subject: RE: Towing Capacity

I was just over on Ford's website looking for help for you. Here is a link to their 2008 Tow guide. The figures will be different depending on the model year of what your are looking at, but it helps explain the different terminology. I hope this helps!

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/08FSD_towing.pdf

Bill
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)