Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Diesel Horsepower Ratings
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-25 12:24 PM
2 replies, 6299 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

mhorsewhiz
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-05-21 8:49 AM (#4973)
Subject: Diesel Horsepower Ratings

Why do the truck makers drop their horsepower from duallies to chassis cabs? Examples Dodge (2011) 350 to 305 hp, (2011) GM 397 to 335 hp and (2011) Ford 390 to 300 hp.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-05-21 1:48 PM (#4974 - in reply to #4973)
Subject: RE: Diesel Horsepower Ratings

This is my theory, but it is just that- a theory. I've made my living with and around commercial trucks for the last 30+ years, and sold them for 12 or 13 now. A cab-chassis is primarily a commercial vehicle, and goes into a lot of fleet and employee driven situations where the use and the load carried is usually more than a consumer-owned and operated pick-up. The pick-up buyer is probably buying for himself to drive- he wants bells and whistles, and when he is pulling whatever kind of toy hauler trailer he's got, he wants to be able to outpull anybody elses pickup trailer combination. That means Horsepower!

If you are buying something to make a service truck out of, or a dump truck, you want to give your employee(driver) enough power to get the job done, but any more than that is a waste in many ways.Fuel consumption and extra maintenance costs are the first things to come to mind.

I don't know that these are the reasons for the differential in horsepower, but I think they are at least part of them. I was also going to say equipment and engine longevity probably play into it, too. 
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-05-25 12:24 PM (#4977 - in reply to #4973)
Subject: RE: Diesel Horsepower Ratings

That is the reason 100%!

But on a good side, my Dodge c/c has a much better transmission than the regular trucks have. That is why Dodge offers a 3 year 180-k mile warranty on the c/c trannys and only a 3 year 36-k warranty on the regular trucks. The makers will always include better warranties and stand behind the better product!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)