Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2006 Ford F350, 6.0 diesel running bad
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-24 4:50 PM
7 replies, 19962 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

laramiedually
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 7:06 PM (#5016)
Subject: 2006 Ford F350, 6.0 diesel running bad

My truck is choking up, bogging out and blowing black smoke, mostly when going up hill. Then it acts just fine for a while.

Suggestions or ideas?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
wannagofast
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-06-23 9:45 PM (#5017 - in reply to #5016)
Subject: RE: 2006 Ford F350, 6.0 diesel running bad

Mine was doing the same thing and it was the ERG valve.  Now it is getting hot with a heavy load but runs fine without a load.  Any ideas on what it could be now?
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-06-24 10:34 AM (#5018 - in reply to #5016)

Laramie, here's a link to a thread discussing the 6.0- it's got good info. Hopefully HTB will see this and let you know what he thinks your problem is.

http://workingtruckworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=314&posts=10&start=1

Wannagofast, yours could be a partially plugged radiator, a thermostat problem, or even(I hope not) a head gasket leaking. It sounds like your cooling system is handling your no-load driving, but under load your engine produces much more heat- this is normal- but your cooling system isn't handling the higher heat for some reason. I'm not sure if the EGR cooler itself could be the problem? 
sixpackpayne
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-06-24 1:29 PM (#5019 - in reply to #5017)

wannagofast - 2010-06-23 9:45 PM

Mine was doing the same thing and it was the ERG valve.  Now it is getting hot with a heavy load but runs fine without a load.  Any ideas on what it could be now?

We just had the EGR Cooler in our 2005 F-250 4x4 replaced about 2 months ago. The gauges jump up there like its overheating & then falls back down within seconds. It only happens when we have a load. We pull a load at least 3 times a week & it has happened 3 or 4 times in the past month. I just keep crossing my fingers but if there is a problem I would love to get it fixed before I end up with expensive repairs or stranded....should we block or delete the EGR Cooler now?
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-06-24 4:24 PM (#5020 - in reply to #5016)

laramiedually - 2010-06-23 7:06 PM

My truck is choking up, bogging out and blowing black smoke, mostly when going up hill. Then it acts just fine for a while.

Suggestions or ideas?

Like the other post, try the egr first..... These are a major problem on these engines. While you are changing/cleaning or just going to delete it all together you need to raise the rear of the truck in the air about a foot higher than the front with the egr removed and look in the hole that the egr valve came out of to see if there is any water or coolant. If there is you are going to need an egr cooler or egr cooler delete kit as well.

Only other thing you could have is a stopped up air cleaner. This should actually be the first thing to check since it is a cheap fix.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-06-24 4:29 PM (#5021 - in reply to #5017)

Have you checked you fan clutch? If these are not working right they will get hot loaded. With the engine off and cold try and turn the fan by hand, it should turn maybe 1 full turn without free spinning. If it just free spins replace it! If the fan is ok, remove the egr valve and check for water in the hole with the rear of the truck raised. If you see any water or in your case a little dampness your egr cooler is going by-by and needs to be replaced or deleted.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-06-24 4:37 PM (#5022 - in reply to #5019)

sixpackpayne - 2010-06-24 1:29 PM

We just had the EGR Cooler in our 2005 F-250 4x4 replaced about 2 months ago. The gauges jump up there like its overheating & then falls back down within seconds. It only happens when we have a load. We pull a load at least 3 times a week & it has happened 3 or 4 times in the past month. I just keep crossing my fingers but if there is a problem I would love to get it fixed before I end up with expensive repairs or stranded....should we block or delete the EGR Cooler now?

You sound like you have an air pocket in your system somewhere or your t-stat is sticking. If you have not replaced the t-stat I would replace it first the refill the system. Leave the radiator cap off with the truck running while you are refilling the system, this should remove any air pockets in the cooling system. Should only take about 10 mins to do this.

If you have a new t-stat and the system is free of air pockets the next step is to remove the radiator cap with the truck cool then let it run for a little while and see if any bubbles show up in the tank, if so you could have the starting stages of head gasket problems.
sixpackpayne
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-06-24 4:50 PM (#5023 - in reply to #5016)

Thanks! Will be trying this soon!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)