Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dodge 1500 crew cab questions?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-23 11:35 PM
4 replies, 7607 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Speedy Dr Pepper
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2010-07-19 11:19 AM (#5043)
Subject: Dodge 1500 crew cab questions?

Does it have the power to pull a small gooseneck trailer, its a 2008 5.7 L
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-07-20 3:51 PM (#5049 - in reply to #5043)
Subject: RE: Dodge 1500 crew cab questions?

I would think it would be OK for a smaller trailer. It depends on a few things- are you pulling the trailer a lot of miles, or is it occasional use- say a couple of times a month? Trailer size- a one axle two or three horse stock type trailer, or something a lot bigger? Manual or automatic trans? If its an automatic transmission, I would make sure it has a transmission oil cooler on it, or put one on it before you pull with it. It can be OK, but it can also be pretty marginal. I don't know if that helps or not.

Bill 
Speedy Dr Pepper
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2010-07-22 7:12 PM (#5052 - in reply to #5043)

We have a 6.0 chevy lite duty 3/4 ton right now but want to get a newer pickup. How would the engine compare? We love our 6.0, it has plenty of power for our smaller gooseneck, we usually just go with 2 or 3 horses on it. The trailer  weighs 3600 lbs.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-07-23 10:47 AM (#5053 - in reply to #5043)

I'm not terribly familiar with the gas engines, so take what I say with a grain of salt! It looks like the 5.7 and the 6.0 both have the same HP, and are within 5lbs/ft of torque, so I'm thinking you wouldn't see a lot of difference in the performance. There may be more difference in the way the transmission is set up and in the suspension, as one is a 1500(we used to call those a 1/2 ton), and what you're using now sounds like a 3/4 ton. It probably has a little stiffer suspension, and is more likely to have a bigger transmission oil cooler. I would look at that, or at least take it into consideration. Not that it wouldn't work- just be aware.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-07-23 11:35 PM (#5054 - in reply to #5043)

Might double check the tow rating of the Dodge, the engine will be find but the rear susp. you might find to be a little light for a gooseneck trailer. I don't mean to get your thinking down but something else to check out is the tires and wheels. Most of the Dodge trucks with the Hemi engine has 20" wheels and I'm not too sure the 20" tires they use on them truck will handle the weight.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)