Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-10-28 10:49 PM
3 replies, 11007 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

rnchr0pr
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2010-10-27 3:09 PM (#5106)
Subject: 2010 Ford F-350 SRW

My 2000 F-250 diesel was totalled in a freak accident (dropped off the the lift at a garage), and I bought a 2010 F-350 to tow our living quarters gooseneck trailer (3 horse, 7,200# empty, and roughtly 9500 - 10,000# loaded); diesel engine with the 5 speed auto tranny (no sticks anymore!); the thing is a dog - the trailer (even empty) causes the rear end to ride down onto the overload springs, which changed the drive train geometry so the tranny slips and chatters when pulling away from a stop or entering a highway down the onramp. Plus, when towing, or even if not but going up a steep incline from stop, the windup from 2nd to 3rd gear takes the engine to at least 3000 rpm and to 40 mph before it will shift. Anyone else experienced this? How has the 2011 performed?
Also, anyone have any thoughts on the built-in trailer brake control. On my trailer I'm to the top of the scale on gain (10) and even empty can't lock up the wheels.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-10-27 11:07 PM (#5107 - in reply to #5106)
Subject: RE: 2010 Ford F-350 SRW

Are you using your tow/haul mode or regular drive? If you are using regular drive STOP.... You MUST use the tow/haul on the Fords loaded or empty with any trailer.

You will need some type of air bags or lift help in the rear to get the truck to set level then your brake control should start working right. Some reason the newer Fords are WEAK in the rear and need help and when the truck is setting down in the back it throws the computer off....

My opinion on the 2011 FORD is RUN as fast as you can away from them. Well any truck with the urea injection system. At least wait a coupe of year until they get the bugs worked out. They are having tons of problems down here with people running out of the fluid and not being able to buy it anywhere other than Ford. Ford and Dodge both clam these trucks can go a full oil change before having to fill the fluid again. Well the best I have seen is around 3000 miles. per tank of urea fluid.
rnchr0pr
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2010-10-28 11:28 AM (#5108 - in reply to #5107)

Yep, using tow/haul. I guess I'm just irritated that a 1 ton truck which is designed, and advertised, to tow a load well in excess of the weight of the trailer needs airbags in the first place to permit the transmission to function appropriately with a load within spec.
I don't think airbags are going to change the braking control; the aftermarket controller I had on the old truck would lock up the brakes on this trailer with no problem. I think the problem is that the OEM controller just isn't potent enough (even the manual says that with a "very" heavy trailer it may not lock up the brakes. Of course, I didn't think that a trailer only 2/3 or less of the weight spec for the truck was "very" heavy.
As to the 2011, I wasn't planning to trade up this year, but wanted to know if the problems I was having with the 2010 were also issues in 2011. I think I'll wait till the 2012 models come out and dump the 2010, in the hope that all the isses with a new engine/tranny in 2011 are worked out.
Man, what a hassle.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-10-28 10:49 PM (#5109 - in reply to #5108)

rnchr0pr - 2010-10-28 11:28 AM
I don't think airbags are going to change the braking control; the aftermarket controller I had on the old truck would lock up the brakes on this trailer with no problem. I think the problem is that the OEM controller just isn't potent enough (even the manual says that with a "very" heavy trailer it may not lock up the brakes. hope that all the isses with a new engine/tranny in 2011 are worked out.
Man, what a hassle.

The brake control will be out of wack if the truck is not setting level..... Ford set these up based on a level vehicle not one set down in the rear (even if it is just a little) Ford uses that term in the book to cover their a**.

As long as the big 3 truck companies keep the urea injection system there will always be a problem!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)