Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2005 F350 6.0 problems!
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-11-24 8:56 AM
9 replies, 16554 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ellesshuefan
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-07 6:26 PM (#5110)
Subject: 2005 F350 6.0 problems!

We are having problems with our truck, to say the least. Had we known this motor was prone to problems we wouldn't have bought this truck. We bought it used Nov 2009, had 110K miles. In March 2010 the EGR cooler, pistons and other parts to the tune of $8500. In August the foot valve and another part had to be replaced. In Nov 2010, last week, we were riding along and felt a slight jerk every now and then, we thought possibly the transmission. We stopped and checked everything. All fluids were ok. Then, the truck wouldn't start. We had the truck towed to the dealer. Now our lower end of the motor is gone. The oil filter was melted. We still owe $7800 for payoff on the truck. We can't see sinking another $8,000 to have the truck fixed. And of course our extended warranty has run out. This truck only has 174K miles on it. If we fix it again for $8000 we will have spent over $16K in repairs in 1 year. This is crazy. I will be writing to Ford about this problem, but I'm sure they have already heard it before. Any ideas/suggestions or anyone else had similar problems? Thanks, Theresa
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ellesshuefan
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-07 6:58 PM (#5112 - in reply to #5110)
Subject: RE: 2005 F350 6.0 problems!

Oh! The check engine light never came on.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-11-07 9:44 PM (#5114 - in reply to #5110)

Ellesshuefan - 2010-11-07 6:26 PM

We are having problems with our truck, to say the least. Had we known this motor was prone to problems we wouldn't have bought this truck. We bought it used Nov 2009, had 110K miles. In March 2010 the EGR cooler, pistons and other parts to the tune of $8500. In August the foot valve and another part had to be replaced. In Nov 2010, last week, we were riding along and felt a slight jerk every now and then, we thought possibly the transmission. We stopped and checked everything. All fluids were ok. Then, the truck wouldn't start. We had the truck towed to the dealer. Now our lower end of the motor is gone. The oil filter was melted. We still owe $7800 for payoff on the truck. We can't see sinking another $8,000 to have the truck fixed. And of course our extended warranty has run out. This truck only has 174K miles on it. If we fix it again for $8000 we will have spent over $16K in repairs in 1 year. This is crazy. I will be writing to Ford about this problem, but I'm sure they have already heard it before. Any ideas/suggestions or anyone else had similar problems? Thanks, Theresa

Sorry to hear about your engine problems but writing Ford will do nothing unless you have records showing where a Ford dealer has done the service work on this truck. The oil filter melted would tell me you had oil cooler problems which should have been replaced when the egr cooler and piston was fixed. Why are they telling you the lower end of the motor is gone??? I am not sure I would not get a second opinion...........
Ellesshuefan
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-07 11:49 PM (#5115 - in reply to #5110)

All of our work was done at Rountree Ford Dealer in Shreveport and we have all of our service records. The warranty wouldn't let them replace some parts and the owner even got involved. They didn't want to replace the EGR cooler as they said it wasn't an internal part. Huh? The owner got involved and threatened them that if they didn't warranty the work then he would never accept another vehicle under their warranty. He also ran the warranty inspector out of his shop and told him he was never allowed back in his shop. They finally agreed to warranty the EGR cooler and some other work, but one of the main parts they wouldn't warranty. I can't think of the part and my husband is asleep, but that is the part that went out this time causing the bottom end of the motor to burn up. Thanks for your reply.
Ellesshuefan
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-08 8:02 AM (#5116 - in reply to #5110)

I'm sorry, it wasn't the pistons that were replaced. They replaced all 8 injectors, high pressure oil pump, EGR cooler, and EGR valve. Verified by m husband this morning. lol

Thanks,
Theresa
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-11-08 9:54 AM (#5117 - in reply to #5116)

Well first off if they charged 8-k for that work you need to find another dealer and FAST......

Second, if they replaced the HPOP and did not replace the oil cooler that is your problem. Anytime the HPOP is replaced the cooler need to be either cleaned and inspected or replaced. My opinion it should have been replaced since you had to replace all of the injectors.

The warranty will try not to cover the coolers by calling them "wearable items". But the dealer should have been smart enough to at least give you the option to buy any extra parts that maybe needed when that job was done. Which would include, egr cooler, egr, injectors and seals, oil cooler, HPOP and seals and inspect all cooler lines along with a fresh oil change then reflash the injector module.

Did they tell you why you needed injectors to being with? These truck are not bad on injectors and a 110-k miles is nothing for these trucks. The oil thing that kills injectors on these is lack of oil changes and or using the wrong type of oil. If this is the case from the original owner that is why you had warranty problems to start with.

Back to the original post, 99% of extended warranties are worthless and will only cover MINIMAL ITEMS! I was going to get oone for my Dodge in 07 and talked with the service manager about it and he told me that I would be wasting money. Now after hearing stories about them I have to agree with him.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-11-08 9:57 AM (#5118 - in reply to #5110)

Go search www.powerstroke.org this is a site just for FORD trucks and maily POWERSTROKES. There is a section just for 6.0's and motor problems maybe they can give you some insite on something else to check before having to spend another 8-k....
leaseman
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2010-12-10 9:41 AM (#5139 - in reply to #5110)

We had a similar problem with one of our inventory trucks. We took it to the dealer and had them fix it. What was curious was they could never tell us the exact cause of it.
maque
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 12:31 AM (#5261 - in reply to #5110)

Ellesshuefan - 2010-11-07 6:26 PM

We are having problems with our truck parts , to say the least. Had we known this motor was prone to problems we wouldn't have bought this truck. We bought it used Nov 2009, had 110K miles. In March 2010 the EGR cooler, pistons and other parts to the tune of $8500. In August the foot valve and another part had to be replaced. In Nov 2010, last week, we were riding along and felt a slight jerk every now and then, we thought possibly the transmission. We stopped and checked everything. All fluids were ok. Then, the truck wouldn't start. We had the truck towed to the dealer. Now our lower end of the motor is gone. The oil filter was melted. We still owe $7800 for payoff on the truck. We can't see sinking another $8,000 to have the truck fixed. And of course our extended warranty has run out. This truck only has 174K miles on it. If we fix it again for $8000 we will have spent over $16K in repairs in 1 year. This is crazy. I will be writing to Ford about this problem, but I'm sure they have already heard it before. Any ideas/suggestions or anyone else had similar problems? Thanks, Theresa

i dont know if this is the right thing to do but i encounter the problem with my ford. i am now writing ford for this. i'll send it to them later on. im glad im not the one encountering the same.
Jet Jock
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-11-24 8:56 AM (#5435 - in reply to #5110)

I have found www.powerstrokehelp.com to be very informative. Video explanations about Ford diesels.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)