Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
F-450 vs Freightliner
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-12-30 11:07 AM
4 replies, 10156 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2011-12-24 10:22 AM (#5316)
Subject: F-450 vs Freightliner

We are upgrading to a 6 horse 11' SW lq horse trailer, 36' total length. Will a 2011 F-450 be able to haul it, or should I be looking at a Freightliner?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-12-28 1:06 PM (#5318 - in reply to #5316)
Subject: RE: F-450 vs Freightliner

That truck will pull it- there are some other things that go into the equation though. How much hauling,(how many miles a year approximately), where(mountains, flatlands), do you need the truck as a daily driver too...... these are some of the things that come to mind. That's a lot of trailer- the bigger truck(International, Freightliner, Peterbilt) will do a better job, be safer, and last longer, but I could see where a 450 might be OK in some applications.
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2011-12-29 7:59 AM (#5319 - in reply to #5318)

Thank you for the reply.

We will be hauling most week-ends during spring, summer and fall. On occasion we will have to go over some passes. I don't need the truck for day to day driving, we have a different work truck and a car for normal driving.

We have been using a Chevy 3500 with a slide in camper and a BP 4 horse trailer, but have the need to haul 6 horses to jr. and high school rodeos. My husband thinks that the new 2011 F450 with 6.6L V8 can handle a 36' Elite trailer. I think it has plenty horse power to tow it, but I worry about being able to stop it coming down a steep grade.
On the other hand, a Freightliner M2 106 might be overkill, more expensive to maintain, more difficult to find someone who can work on it as we live in a very small town fairly remote?
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-12-30 11:04 AM (#5320 - in reply to #5316)

Personally, I don't think an M2, International 4400, or a 300 Series Pete would be overkill for a 6 horse trailer with 11' living quarters. Especially if you're going about every weekend, and dealing with mountains too. You can buy something like that used, but not worn out by any means, for probably close to the same dollars as a new 450. And there will be a big difference in how they handle the weight. Maintainence won't be a whole lot more for the bigger truck. Do you have any big truck(semi) diesel shops close to where you live? If so, and if you buy something that has a Cat, Cummins, Detroit, or International engine in it, you should be able to get it worked on. The one thing that might be an exception is if it's 2010 or newer- for those, you'll probably want an actual dealer that's kind of handy or close by. One thing to be aware of- the medium duty trucks will live longer than the lght dutys, and 450s, but they generally won't liast as long as the heavy duty(semi truck tractors).
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-12-30 11:07 AM (#5321 - in reply to #5316)

There are a lot of folks moving into trucks like the one in this picture- big horsepower, big whoa power, not that expensive to get into- and it won't be worn out in 100,000 miles. Oh, and by the way, automatic transmission!

(IMG_4071.JPG)

(IMG_4075a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_4071.JPG (96KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4075a.jpg (56KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)