Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1999 Freightliner FL50 info needed before I buy
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-30 2:11 PM
1 replies, 16525 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Appy Girl
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-29 11:56 AM (#5129)
Subject: 1999 Freightliner FL50 info needed before I buy

Any information you can give... here is what I know...From the seller:

The front seats are air ride soft black leather with full lay back-backs with swivel and lumbar support, the back seat is a full bench type seat, black leather, that folds electrically into a bed. The trim work
is red rose wood. There are mood lights in the ceiling. It has a TV and Antenna for the back seat. Doors have electric windows and door locks. The steering wheel tilts and telescopes and it is wrapped in black leather. The exterior rear view mirrors are remote electric adjustable and they are heated.

A CDL Licenses is not required. The engine, 3126 Cat, has an air compressor but it is for the air ride cab, seats, horns, rear suspension, also the park brake is deactivated by air, the transmission does not have a park position which is normal for the older Allison 6 speed transmissions. The truck has two 45 gallon tanks for fuel, additional fuel capacity can be added onto the front of the hauler bed.
The brakes are large four wheel heavy duty hydraulic with an engine exhaust brake by PAC Brake, it works very well.

The hauler bed is a full 8' with diamond plate. Per the pics, is the trailer we pulled the most, a semi-wedge nose, the trailer is
a Sundowner with full LQ and a slide out, which is also for sale. The trailer is right at 40' from nose to the loading ram. I have pulled square nosed trailers with the truck and had no problems.

All 6 tires are new Continentals with about 1500 mi, on them, cost of about $2,400, they were put on about 13 months ago.
The exterior paint has some mild pin stripping, nothing wild. I added LED side running lights to the running boards and the back of the hauler bed, ICC type lights, just dresses it up a little. The truck is a blast to drive, my wife drove it with the trailer loaded with horses and she was only 5' tall. You set up high and get very good visibility much better than any dually. It turns around shorter than anything
you may have ever driven. In a tight slow turn the truck turns sharp enough the trailer will back-up. I wanted the truck for better longevity and the heavy duty part, it is better than any dually you can buy.

So that is all I know. I think the asking price is decent and the pictures show it to be in great shape... I don't know how long it has been sitting, his wife passed away last year so I can only assume at least that long. Will we need to take it to have service before bring it home (20 Hours)?

I cannot find any bluebook value, or reviews on this truck.... So any feedback would be helpfull.

Oh and it has 70K miles on it.
Appy Girl

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-11-30 2:11 PM (#5130 - in reply to #5129)
Subject: RE: 1999 Freightliner FL50 info needed before I buy

My opinion you would just need to check all of the fluids before driving home and just have a complete service done then. Them little CATS are good engines, but sometime slow altitle slow becuase of the low geared trucks.

Only thing I can tell you to check is check for any oil or fluid leaks around the engine and tranny. Mainly around the drivers side front of the engine around the filters and front cover and also around the turbo on the pass side. With the truck running remove the oil cap. should be no smoke coming out of it, if there is there could be some problems depending on how bad the smoke is. My wrecker is a 98 3116 (pretty much the same engine) with a 150-k miles and it has no blow by at all. But have seen some with less miles that have be driven HARD and them engines will have smoke (blow by) causes by wear and lack of maintance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)