Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Big Enough Truck?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-14 10:12 PM
6 replies, 9496 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-05-25 7:39 PM (#4979)
Subject: Big Enough Truck?

I have downsized my rig.  I went from a 2002 7.3 Ford Powerstroke and a 35 ft LQ trailer to a 2 horse with a half ton truck.

It is a big shock!  I have never pulled a two horse!

So is my truck big enough to handle my trailer?  It is a 2000 Chevy Silerado 1500 4x4 automatic.  It has a 292 motor or I think he said a 4.0L engine?

They tell me that it should be big enough for what I need it for.  I usually only haul around 2000 miles a year and all in state.  Other then this weekend I am going to a vet in a different state, 335 miles one way.  This will be the madn voyage!

My trailer weighs 2250 empty and my horse is around 1200lbs.  Normally will only be hauling one horse.  So it is big enough?  I know it won't feel like the powerstroke, but I will have to get used to it!

Here is a photo of it hooked up!

(newtruck.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments newtruck.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-05-25 10:07 PM (#4980 - in reply to #4979)
Subject: RE: Big Enough Truck?

Nice little set up for having to down grade.

First off the engine, 4.0, 292? Where did these numbers come from? Double check, I'm thinking if someone told you 292 they should be talking about a 4.8L small V/8 engine. With this and the size trailer you have, in my opinion you should be fine. But like you said it will be no Powerstroke. If for some reason it is the 4.3L V/6 engine, you may have some trouble, towing in town you will be ok, but on the hwy you will really be OVERWORKING that little engine.

It would be wise to turn the overdrive off (or tow/haul mode on) while towing with either engine.

Make sure you trailer brakes are hooked up and working!
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-05-26 7:51 AM (#4981 - in reply to #4980)

Yes it is the 4.8L, I get them messed up! LOL!  It is a 292 engine though.

The trailer brakes are not working rightnow, we couldn't get them to work.  So will have to keep working in it.

This weekend I am going to drive real careful!  I hauled my big trailer for a year with no brakes, so I know how to do it, leave lots of room and no speeding!!

I never took the 7.3 out of overdrive....but that was a way bigger truck.  Should this one always be in drive while towing or just in town or on the highway?

I paid $700 for the trailer, and put new tires on it and now just rewired it all but the brakes and wired the truck.  So so far I have around $1500 into it.  Hoping the brakes are not that expensive, but looking like they will be!

Thanks.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-05-26 10:14 AM (#4982 - in reply to #4979)

As HTB said, it looks like a good setup for having to downgrade. I would urge you to get your trailer brakes working, though. A bumper pull trailer will behave differently  than a gooseneck, and not always in a good way, so it's pretty important to have your trailer brakes working right.
Looks good, though!

hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-05-26 11:02 PM (#4983 - in reply to #4981)

My opinion I would drive it with the overdrive OFF in town and you will just have to check it on the hwy to see how the engine handles it. If the truck seems like it is lugging with the od on while driving on the hwy turn the od back off cause you do not want it to be shifting in and out of overdrive while loaded. Very hard on the tranny.

This will help in slowing you down a little, but trailer brakes are a must!
blacktruck
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-09 4:56 AM (#4987 - in reply to #4979)
Subject: RE: Big Enough Truck?....My $0.02....

Every one of the posts above are right on the money.
Truck should be fine but it will be different and you ain't gonna be able to pull much more than that.
1. Hook the brakes up and then test them.
2. Pull it around empty a little to get used to it. It ain't gonna be like a gooseneck and a Powerstroke. Might as well get the feel of it before you load anything in the wagon.
3. Test the brakes and lights again. I can't tell you how many times I have seen trailers on the road with no lights and I'm sure no brakes but I can't prove that part. Safety first, then proceed.
Ken
maque
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 10:12 PM (#5262 - in reply to #4987)
Subject: RE: Big Enough Truck?....My $0.02....

blacktruck - 2010-06-09 4:56 AM Every one of the posts above are right on the money. truck should be fine but it will be different and you ain't gonna be able to pull much more than that. 1. Hook the brakes up and then test them. 2. Pull it around empty a little to get used to it. It ain't gonna be like a gooseneck and a Powerstroke. Might as well get the feel of it before you load anything in the wagon. 3. Test the brakes and lights again. I can't tell you how many times I have seen trailers on the road with no lights and I'm sure no brakes but I can't prove that part. Safety first, then proceed. Ken

thanks for this advice. i was able to do this on my truck later. searching the net for my huge truck. this would probably help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)