Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck Camper and Bumper Pull
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-15 9:18 AM
6 replies, 5223 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

bobtaildog
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-07-14 2:02 PM (#1330)
Subject: Truck Camper and Bumper Pull

Interested in hearing feedback from those who have a slide-in truck camper and pull a trailer. The campers tend to weight in the 2K-4K range depending on short or long beds and typically have an overhang at the rear bumper which means you need a hitch extension to pull a trailer. I have a singler rear wheel F250 powerstroke but the weight of the camper plus the dynamic load with horses makes me nervous....but I sure do like the combination of housing vs a living quarters trailer. I go fishing and hunting where the truck camper would be a nice fit.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-14 2:38 PM (#1331 - in reply to #1330)
Subject: RE: Truck Camper and Bumper Pull

Many rodeo"ers" pull bumper pulls with slide in campers (you see many M&M campers).  I have a friend who pulls a 3H BP Alum with a 2500 Dodge Diesel.  He pulls over 5 states weekly with no problems.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-14 3:26 PM (#1332 - in reply to #1330)

You could look into one of those pop-up pick up campers. Those are lighter than the hard tops and might work better for you as far as weight in the back of your truck. Some are pretty nice! I know my husband and I looked into those because I needed more than just a dressing room bumper pull to take to weekend shows but ended up with  a LQ GN trailer instead.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-14 3:33 PM (#1333 - in reply to #1330)

been there, done that. Works fine. My only real problem with my set up was I had a stcok trailer, no place to put tack except in the camper. So unloading with the hitch right outside the door was rotten. if you have a Dr in the trailer, it would work better. I'd suggest a 3/4 pick-up. I see alot of that type of rig heading down the road so not only can it be done, it is....
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-14 4:57 PM (#1334 - in reply to #1330)

As long as you have a longbed you should be fine. Also, look for one of the slide in campers with the rear door on the side for easy entry/exit. My dads was set up that way and had the bathroom at the back, giving more room than normal in the bath area.
Rackn
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-14 6:38 PM (#1335 - in reply to #1330)

I have a short bed 3/4 ton Silverado w/ Duramax. I have a 8 ft slide in camper, and pull a 3 h bp Sundowner. I have no problems w/ my set up.  We do alot of camping w/out horses, so this is perfect for us.
sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-15 9:18 AM (#1336 - in reply to #1330)

We have a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel/long box, and chose a truck camper that would not extend past the bumper of the truck - in our case 8 1/2 feet.  We have a two horse BP with dressing room, don't know how I'd do it without - it gets packed with hay, tack, firewood, kids bikes, etc...  We always unhook at campsites so the trailer jack is never an issue.  One of the biggest issues in handling is making sure the rear suspension is beefed up & big enough tires for the load.  Our previous truck was lighter in the rear end & boy could you feel the sway going down the road.  Someday we'll have to upgrade to a GN w/LQ as the girls will start to bring their horses along & I don't feel comfortable pulling a 4 horse BP behind the camper, (personal preference).  We camp without the horse as well, it's sure nice to hook up to the boat, and get into campsites where traditional campers won't fit.

Sarah

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)