Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dodge truck too tall for my trailer. What can I do?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-28 2:49 PM
13 replies, 5593 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

David
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-07-23 9:04 AM (#1400)
Subject: Dodge truck too tall for my trailer. What can I do?

My 03 dually is too tall for my gooseneck trailer and the trailer has scraped my tail gate and the side rails of the bed. I really want to keep this trailer. Also want to keep this bed so that I can use a slide in camper. How can I lower my truck and or raise my trailer. The truck has 17 in wheels. the trailer 16 in and torsion axles. Thanks for your ideas.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
GMMRWM
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-23 11:20 AM (#1401 - in reply to #1400)
Subject: RE: Dodge truck too tall for my trailer. What can I do?

A friend of mine had a Trail-et trailer that was too short for her new F250. She took the trailer back to a dealer and they put a lift kit on it. It sits really high off the ground now but it works.
Trailer Stud
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-23 2:58 PM (#1402 - in reply to #1400)

I am almost positive that there are a different set of shocks that you can get for the back end of the truck, dodges are too tall for a lot of trailers. I'm not sure of the brand, the price or anything like that, but I.N.H.O I think lowering the back of the truck a little is better than lifting the trailer ( larger step up for the horse, a bit more top heavy, just like lifting a truck it takes more maintnance and is easier to break)
Rugby3
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-23 4:08 PM (#1403 - in reply to #1400)

You should be able to swap out the blocks in the rear end of the truck for smaller ones. That will be easier that messing with the trailer.

I am not sure of the size between the 2500,3500 but the Fords have 4" blocks for the 350 and 2" blocks in the 250.

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-23 9:51 PM (#1404 - in reply to #1400)

You should be able to lower the rear by 2" (approximate) by removing blocks.  Folks have done it on the TDR (http://www.tdr1.com).

LAXPatrick

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-23 10:33 PM (#1405 - in reply to #1400)

I had this same problem with my 4X4 2001 Dodge. I ended up having the Dodge dealer lower the truck as well as having the trailer raised by adding blocks to the axles. The Dodge dealer did the lowering with a "kit" and it was free. The raising of the trailer was expensive! I had to do both raising and lowering because of the large difference between the vehicles. If I'd done all the work on the truck, it'd be a serious low rider! If I'd done all the work on the trailer, I don't think my horses could jump high enough to get in. Good luck! Measure carefully, and I hope you don't have to go to all the trouble I did.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 4:28 AM (#1406 - in reply to #1400)

could you not just adjust the neck of the gooseneck? When I got my new trailer it was sitting to close to the tailgate and bedrails. The dealer adjusted it for me before I left the lot. A wrench and 10 minutes and I was ready to go.
Lucky
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2005-07-27 9:23 AM (#1407 - in reply to #1400)

In inIndiana - NO NO NO!  When you just adjust the neck of the trailer you're putting all of the weight on the back axle and your front axle is just along for the ride.  Totally unsafe for breaking ability and just overall soundness for going down the road.  So many people do that and I really hate driving next to them.  I'm just waiting for a tire to blow on the back because they have all the weight.  Do the blocking thing - a little larger step into the trailer isn't that bad for the horses.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-27 3:46 PM (#1408 - in reply to #1400)

<<So many people do that and I really hate driving next to them.  I'm just waiting for a tire to blow on the back because they have all the weight.  Do the blocking thing - a little larger step into the trailer isn't that bad for the horses.

Why?  If the trailer is level would it be OK?  

Thanks.. Jbsny

Lucky
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2005-07-27 5:11 PM (#1409 - in reply to #1400)

If the trailer is level it isn't a problem.  But what they are saying is that they don't have enough height between the trailer and truck so they are raising the neck of the trailer to have the clearance - therefore by only raising the neck of the trailer to have the clearance you are no longer riding level.  You see it all time because people buy new trucks and they are still pulling the older trailers.  To each their own - I just choose not to pull a trailer where I have it jacked up in the front going down the road with my weight on one axle.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-27 7:53 PM (#1410 - in reply to #1400)

<<You see it all time because people buy new trucks and they are still pulling the older trailers.  To each their own - I just choose not to pull a trailer where I have it jacked up in the front going down the road with my weight on one axle.

Yes, I understand now.  I see this too. I thought this would also affect the ride for the horses as they would be on a slant more than just stall slant. I notice a lot of trailers set up like this.  I cringe when I see the bumper pulls set up wrong, too.  Can't be good for the horses or the equipment.

Thanks for clarifying that!!!

Jbsny

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-27 9:41 PM (#1411 - in reply to #1400)

Originally written by david on 2005-07-23 9:04 AM

My 03 dually is too tall for my gooseneck trailer and the trailer has scraped my tail gate and the side rails of the bed. I really want to keep this trailer. Also want to keep this bed so that I can use a slide in camper. How can I lower my truck and or raise my trailer. The truck has 17 in wheels. the trailer 16 in and torsion axles. Thanks for your ideas.

How much more clearance do you need? Raising or droping the coupler 3 inches won't affect the axle issue much.The longer the trailer the less the affect.(what size trailer is it?) You would have to lift the front of the trailer 12 inches to get a large % of weight on the rear axle! This is only true with torsion axles...older spring type walking beam tandem axles distribute the weight over both axles no matter what the angle or slope is. I would adjust the coupler where you have enough clearance then look over the situation. If it looks awkard for the animals or to much angle then you will have to go the axle lift/drop.  just another opinion........

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 2:36 AM (#1412 - in reply to #1400)

When I have my trailer hooked up it is level on my truck. Dropping the coupler down did not effect it when I have it on the truck. It's not a short trailer (27 ft on the floor) so as the one post said it isn't going to change it that much. I have a level on the trailer and it will show level when I get hooked to the truck.
brusheddenimlevi
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 2:49 PM (#1413 - in reply to #1400)

I have a 2003 Dodge Dually and had the same problem hooking up to a 1995 Sooner.  The trailer is 38 foot long and we just adjusted the coupler about 2 inches and that was enough extra clearance (after a trip to the body shop to repair the side rails and tailgate of the truck).    Trailer still rides level so previous post about the trailer length absorbing some of the difference when changing coupler height makes sense. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)