Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Lifted Trucks:
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-14 6:26 PM
7 replies, 4601 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Darre
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-13 7:32 PM (#1500)
Subject: Lifted Trucks:

My boyfriend is interested in buying a lifted truck. The only thing is that he is into rodeo (team and calf roper) and would be trading in his F250 for a 2500 lifted truck that he plans to buy a very steep drop for. Is this safe and if so how high is too high for a truck to be lifted before it's completely dangerous. Also he was interested in how high would be too high if he ever wanted to upgrade to a gooseneck trailer? I told him just to keep his truck now but he's a 18 year old Boy that wants a 'Big' truck. What can I the girlfriend say too stop him. I'm tired of bashing heads with him. Any comments greatly appreciated..
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyr1965
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-13 7:46 PM (#1501 - in reply to #1500)
Subject: RE: Lifted Trucks:

Years ago in my younger days i had a 4 in lift on my truck and had custom drop hitch built to pull a bumper trailer.Did not work very well.Had alot of sway in it.Now i just bought a F-350 4x4 with no lift and i had adjust the neck of my new gooseneck all the way up.If it was any higher my trailer would not have worked.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-13 8:04 PM (#1502 - in reply to #1500)

Darre, you can't stop him from doing what he wants even if you had all the information in the world.  Unless he goes and finds out the information on his own, he won't care.

Girl, you got two choices:

1. Let him do it and keep your mouth shut.

2. Let him go.  (I mean if he's gonna pull stupid stunts its better you know now, right?)

That's why I stopped dating cowboys and went for academic men...they listen!

krys
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2005-07-14 2:16 AM (#1503 - in reply to #1500)

Plain ole Member

Lifted truck + bigger tires = higher fuel consumption...He may not be able to afford to rodeo anymore. Plus more things tend to break or go out on a lifted truck, especially if you go off road with it. My hubby is also into lifted trucks nd wheeling. He wanted to put a lift in my 2000 Dodge. His Toyota has a 9" lift in it. He bought me bigger tires for my dodge. But when it came time to haul the gooseneck, it was way too close for comfort, almost hit the rails and the tailgate. By the next time I hauled my trailer, he put the stock tires back on. It may be an expensive lesson for him. He goes and buys the truck, but it doesn't quite go with the trailer. He will either have to sell it, take the lift out or stop rodeoin'. When you get enough responses on this post, show it too him. I say stay with the stock height: safer, cheaper, and easier to maneuver.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-14 7:03 AM (#1504 - in reply to #1500)

You have to go with huntseat. He is 18, he has to learn his own lessons, you are not married, and it is his money too lose. You seem more mature and have made a good decision. Don't nag.

Many of my friends think the $$ I spend on horses is just as insane and what you are thinking about his lift kit.

After being married 20 years, I've learned to let the one you care about learn from their mistakes (same goes for em) AND most importantly if you are really mature for your age you won't say I told you so when he fails. He will know it.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-14 1:16 PM (#1505 - in reply to #1500)

Just Un-hook.
Find a better combination.
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-07-14 4:05 PM (#1506 - in reply to #1500)

A 2in lift with necessary suspension adjustments to accomodate the next larger tire size would probably be max for safe towing. Anything more and I would not want to be involved.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-07-14 6:26 PM (#1507 - in reply to #1500)

I bought a Blazer many years back that had a 4" lift kit and large tires.  It was cool !!!!  But towing a 4 horse trailer was almost impossible.  The side walls on the large tires allowed the truck to start swaying everytime the horse moved.  Sold it and went back to my old 3/4 ton truck.

Turfa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)