Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck and trailer Question
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-29 3:12 PM
23 replies, 7441 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

RickiH
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-22 1:13 PM (#1599)
Subject: Truck and trailer Question

I have a couple questions.

First, we have a 2005 F-350 Diesel Streight 8' Box and are looking at getting a 4 horse trailer with LQ most likely 8' to 10'. Will our truck pull this kind of trailer? The 2nd question is im not sure what kind of trailer to look for, we are just starting to branch out on our own so we dont have the advantage of a trade we go to alot of longer shows and decent distances, I know there are ALOT of threads on which is the best and I now the ones that are the "best" in the minds of the people that have money... but what are the best in the underdogs that arent as much money... I have been looking at 4-star and Silverlite, and I jist cant touch the prices they are throwing at me... any suggestions?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
webdreamin
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-22 2:37 PM (#1600 - in reply to #1599)
Subject: RE: Truck and trailer Question

I spoke with one of our salesman and he said your truck can pull what you are looking for. If you'd like more info on Horse trailers, contact Bill @ 800-455-1001 ext#120.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-22 3:04 PM (#1601 - in reply to #1599)

Look at "nicer brands" but used.  Nothing wrong with a well maintained used trailer.  I'd bet by going used you'll get a higher quality trailer that will hold it's vaule better.
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-22 3:18 PM (#1602 - in reply to #1599)

Truck sounds just great for what you want. Check this site for what you are looking for. TAKE YOUR TIME. Shop and compare in person at the shows you frequent. Ask the owners what they like and dislike. Ask what they would do differently. Don't be afraid to learn from others mistakes at their expense!

There are lots of great LQ's out there that seldom if EVER get used, thus are here for sale.

foxpointfarm
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-22 5:53 PM (#1603 - in reply to #1599)

RickH,

I would highly recommend looking for a used trailer. We just purchased a 1999 Hawk "stupid six" goose neck. This was a full custom floor plan where if new it would have cost us twice what we paid for it. We lucked into the trailer - the dealer had just traded for it a couple days before we visited the lot. The floor plan was something we didn't know about until we saw it. Think of a 6 horse head to head with the last 7 feet is chopped off. Turns out, the trailer was absolutly perfect for our needs and works for us better than the 2+1 straight loads we were looking at.

My point is, with a lot of legwork, you can find a nice used living quarters that may work for you better than what you see on the lots. It sounds like you are looking for aluminum - a good "value"brand would be Adam. They are extemly popular with the standardbred crowd down in Delaware. We looked at them and almost pulled the trigger on a new one until we found the trailer we bought.

Brad

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-22 7:24 PM (#1604 - in reply to #1599)

Check the pin weight of your trailer and the payload capacity of your truck.  Just because it is a 1-ton truck doesn't mean it will handle the weight.  Single rear wheel or dually?  It matters.  Be sure the pin weight of your trailer is well within the payload capacity of your truck.  Aside from that, enjoy the truck and trailer!!  Awesome!

Mike

Edited by racesarabhorses 2007-01-22 7:27 PM
horse luva
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-22 8:07 PM (#1605 - in reply to #1599)

I personally think Logan Coach is one of the top of the line trailers.I own a logan coach witha 13' short wall 4 horse and my 2005 dodge 3500 hauls it with no problems!I honestly think its not anything like a HART or a Sundowner just a little less quality than the two, but id still prefer a logan coach to them because the price for one compared to a sundowner with the same options and short wall would be about $15,000 less!

Edited by horse luva 2007-01-22 8:14 PM
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-22 8:19 PM (#1606 - in reply to #1599)

My last 2 trailers have been used 4-Star and I have not had any issues with either. I purchased them both through individual sales.

I am now helping a friend of mine find a trailer. There are decisions to make and I had her make a list of what she wanted in a trailer. All Aluminum, aluminum over steel etc. How wide, how tall, mangers or not, escape door, walk through door, LQ requirements.

This site has been a wonderful resource for learning about the different trailers. Use the search and you will learn so many things.

RickiH
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-23 6:58 AM (#1607 - in reply to #1599)

Thank You all for your replies...

I was considereing a used trailer or even a left over from the previous  year or hail damage from congress any of the above, i jist need to make sure they can finace for a long enough time and our truck can pull it. Guess im just going to have to keep my options open and keep looking. I have a very picky boyfriend/up and comming trainer who knows what brand trailers he wants.. so that doesnt help.. ha ha...im gonna need to bring out the female common sense if we are going to get anywhere... ha ha.. cant always have new new new! Again thanks for everyones help!

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-23 11:25 AM (#1608 - in reply to #1599)

How many horses will you haul and what mileage and rear end does your truck have?
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-01-23 11:53 AM (#1609 - in reply to #1599)

I agree that Logan (XTR) is an excellent trailer but would add that in my opinion, exceeded Sundowner, of which I looked at several, esp. the floor. Significantly less expensive and excellent warranty as well.  Problem is finding them in Mid-West. 
RickiH
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-24 10:13 AM (#1610 - in reply to #1599)

I'll be hauling the full 4 sometimes only 3 horses. Im sorry im not really sure what kind of rear our truck has... all I know is that its a 4x4 and is not a dulley! I recently have been in touch with Adam and Kiefer built reps. my only concern with either of these trailers is the floors, as im not sure if they are metal or if they have wooden floors in the back.. I believe its Bison (correct me if im wrong) that have wodden floors in the horse part and we dont really want that. I have a feeling my expectations for a trailer and the price im willing to pay are never gonig to fully match!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-24 5:20 PM (#1611 - in reply to #1599)

Originally written by racesarabhorses on 2007-01-22 6:24 PM

Check the pin weight of your trailer and the payload capacity of your truck.  Just because it is a 1-ton truck doesn't mean it will handle the weight.  Single rear wheel or dually?  It matters.  Be sure the pin weight of your trailer is well within the payload capacity of your truck.  Aside from that, enjoy the truck and trailer!!  Awesome!

Mike

Since you've posted your truck is a SRW, I would say that RAH's post is quite valid. 

I've always thought that SRW 350's are nothing more than tarted up 3/4 ton trucks

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-24 8:40 PM (#1612 - in reply to #1599)

Originally written by RickiH on 2007-01-23 6:58 AM

Thank You all for your replies...

I was considereing a used trailer or even a left over from the previous  year or hail damage from congress any of the above, i jist need to make sure they can finace for a long enough time and our truck can pull it. Guess im just going to have to keep my options open and keep looking. I have a very picky boyfriend/up and comming trainer who knows what brand trailers he wants.. so that doesnt help.. ha ha...im gonna need to bring out the female common sense if we are going to get anywhere... ha ha.. cant always have new new new! Again thanks for everyones help!

Now you have scared me, your BOYFRIEND?  Are you buying a trailer for him?  If he is an up-and-coming trainer he'd better realize that what he wants and what he can afford will always be different unless he's being sponsored...

If it's your money it's your decision...he who pays gets to play!

(I'm not suggesting you would be dumb enough to buy something to please him.)

RickiH
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-25 6:39 AM (#1613 - in reply to #1599)

HaHa... no.. this is both of us investing in this trailer im not going to hand him anything in life... everyone has to work for what they get. I just handle the financial stuff and know whats within budget more then he does! Im completely lost with what everyone is talking about with pin and weight and all.. but i will take everythign and give it to my dad so he can see if what i can pull.. thank you for all your information.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-25 9:11 AM (#1614 - in reply to #1599)

Good grief- Judge Judy has a calandar filled with non- married couples playing house and making major purchases together only to end up in court suing each other. This may or may not be your case BUT why are people willing make major fianacial obligations with each other but the obligation of marriage? Women- if he is willing to buy a car or house with you but is not willing to marry you- find a real man...

Anyway- yes, look for a good used trailer. You can get more for your money in terms of features. Most trailers aren't used enough in a year to even show signs of wear. There are plenty out there if yor willing to look.

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-25 9:12 AM (#1615 - in reply to #1599)

I pull a 4 horse sooner with 6' shortwall finished lq fully loaded with a 99 f350 diesel srw.  We have traveled to wyoming and nebraska from ohio and many places on the east coast around here.  This trailer is about 10,500 loaded and is no problem at all with this truck.  Obviously, you need good tires (load range e) and a trailer with good brakes.  A dually would be optimum, but not necessary.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-25 11:43 AM (#1616 - in reply to #1599)

Divorce lawyers have calendars full of married couples suing each other. Judge Judy is certainly cheaper.

If her boyfriend is trying to start his own training business, she may be wiser not to have her name on all of the business debts.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-25 11:47 AM (#1617 - in reply to #1599)

The difference is the marriage contract gives both parties some benefit....co- habitation doesn't. It ends up as his word against hers ( or vice versa). I have NO IDEA what this situation is and if the shoes don't fit here, then one can go about your business.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-25 2:26 PM (#1618 - in reply to #1599)

You refer to the trailer as an investment, trailers are not investments.  Investments grow money...trailers depreciate.

Rich Dad Poor Dad anyone?  Young fabulous and broke?

foxpointfarm
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-25 7:24 PM (#1619 - in reply to #1599)

The all aluminum Adam's have have tounge and groove alumimum plank floors. Functionally, I've found there is not much difference between a wood floor and an aluminum floor. A well built trailer with a PRESSURE TREATED wood floor will last as long as an aluminum floor. ( I just sold a 20 year old trailet with a wood floor in mint condition). Both require periodic cleaning etc. Wood is heavier, but is cooler in the summer because it doesn't absorb the heat from the road like alumimum.

A good condition used trailer is definatly the way to go if you are starting out in a business. We bought the above mentioned Trail Et 6 years ago for 4,000 dollars. We sold it last month for 3,000. When you take away what I was able to depreciate on my taxes, I ended up making a little money overall on the trailer. The big advantage of used is the previous owners took the book value depreciation hit.

The other posters are right about a large purchase by unmarried couples. Divorces have rules on how assets are divided. Domestic relationships don't. It sounds like you two are business partners as well. At a minimum, I would recommend you draw up some sort of agreement to put you BUSINESS partnership in writting.

Dawnya
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-26 8:48 AM (#1620 - in reply to #1599)

Cosmopolitan (shaken..not stirred)

I agree that a dually would be best but your truck will work just fine.

IMO, Silver Star is the best kept secret!  All-aluminum, excellent quality.  I love mine.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=99366

RickiH
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-29 7:45 AM (#1621 - in reply to #1599)

Well... I must thank the people for the information on my question and not my relationship... you have put me in many shoes that i do not wear really quick... its amazing the context of a simple phrase can be twisted so easily... When simply asking about trucks and trailers!..

We have really been impressed by the silverlite and would like to go that route but time will tell to see what we can come up with in the future when we make our purchase!

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-29 3:12 PM (#1622 - in reply to #1599)

Originally written by RickiH on 2007-01-29 8:45 AM

Well... I must thank the people for the information on my question and not my relationship... you have put me in many shoes that i do not wear really quick... its amazing the context of a simple phrase can be twisted so easily... When simply asking about trucks and trailers!..

We have really been impressed by the silverlite and would like to go that route but time will tell to see what we can come up with in the future when we make our purchase!

Well I read this entire thread...and based on your responses...I don't understand why you take offense when people are attempting to give you free NON-malicious advice to protect your future financial position...

One as stated before:

A trailer in NOT an investment!!!

Any LARGE ITEM financed by two INDIVIDUALS can turn into a economic quagmire, if there is a falling out between the individuals, which is why financial institutions are very reluctant to provide financing, especially when the item is MOBILE!!!

If you didn't want the answers...why did you volunteer the information???

All I'll say is GOOD LUCK...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)