Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dodge Warranty Issues
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-05 11:32 PM
6 replies, 7848 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

gotothewhip
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-06 12:37 PM (#2087)
Subject: Dodge Warranty Issues

"Spaz-tacular"!!

Hi all.. This is GoToTheWhip from BHW.. making my premiere post on WTW....

Im looking for some insight here.  I have a good friend in the big truck business, and he has pointed me in the right direction,... but I was hoping with all the Dodge folks out there, I could get some direct insight.

Hubby an I love our Dodge Trucks.. they have run well.... with only minor repairs until now.

LAst month, my truck rolled over 100,000 miles (04 2500 Ram Cummins) while on a trip out of state.

I noticed a rough idle when in Drive, and the brake on... not noticable when the truck was running down the road.  The rough idle was more pronounced when in Drive, Brake on, and a little torque put to it.... it showed the most shimmy at 1300 RPM's

Concerned.. i drove all over creation wanting to get this truck looked at.  I went to 2 dealers.. neither could even look at my truck for 2-3 weeks.

I got in at Bob Moore in Edmond, OK.  They checked over the Drive Train, and found nothing... And told me in a condesending tone that "Maam, Diesels Idle rougher than cars"... LOL....

That was on Sat, Aug 18.

On Monday the 20th, I was still worried.  I took my truck to Bob Howard in OKC.

Their Service Director (NICE GUY) humored me, and took the truck for a drive, about 10 miles.... He did feel what I was talking about.

He suggested that it could be a Torque Converter issue.  Gave me the OK to drive it.

Now keep in mind.. My truck DID NOT have any check engine light.. No "Codes were thrown"

And now...My truck is in at Christopher Dodge in Denver.  They determined that the #2 injector is bad, and now all 6 injectors need replaces as Fuel Rail pressure is not in preameters.

My truck currently has 103,000 mi on it.

Id like to approach Dodge as I see several issues as being problematic.

#1, an engine is not supposed to die within a handful of miles after the warranty goes out.

#2, As a concerned and pro-active owner, these problems were not identified eary.

#3, The truck did not give warning to the driver of a potential MAJOR engine problem (Check engine light)

#4, as a loud and known voice of rodeo and barrel racers, I would think they may want to keep me happy.

Edited by gotothewhip 2007-09-06 12:41 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gotothewhip
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-07 3:19 PM (#2088 - in reply to #2087)
Subject: RE: Dodge Warranty Issues

"Spaz-tacular"!!

Well.. Im sad to tell you all.. that Dodge will NOT stand behind this issue!
MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-09-08 3:17 AM (#2089 - in reply to #2087)

As a diesel problem especially with 100K on it, skip the Dodge store and take to Cummins store like Rocky Mountain Cummins in Commerce City. Since your engine warranty has expired, dealerships can make some money on you. Under warranty, Dodge paid them less. If they haven't torn it down, I'd take it to Rocky Mountain Cummins. (800) 927-7201 they are open 24/7. You might want to join www.TurboDieselRegistry.com best Dodge diesel website and magazine. They have a Rocky Mountain Chapter that will be helpful to you too.

gotothewhip
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-10 2:06 PM (#2090 - in reply to #2087)

"Spaz-tacular"!!

Thank You Mr Truck!!!!!

At this point it is simply SITTING at Christopher Dodge....Hubby has a TDR membership, so I will havehim look into that.We have several Dodge Trucks, as we own an Enviro Company in Commerce City NevcoServices.

We have a few extra vehicles, so we can kinda afford to just let this one sit until details are worked out.

From all of my searching.. It is common for dodge (and all other mfr's) to give policy $ towards this type of situation, up to105,000 Not a full payment.. but SOMETHING...

Im to the point of it being a principal......

And the issue of the truck not showing ANY check engine lights.. with all 6 injectors being out is a HUGE problem in my mind.. I happened to be someone who KNOWS this particular truck.. But lets say I had been an 18 yr old driving cross country with my horse trailer, and didnt notice....This is a horrible problem.. Heck the check engine light goes off for darn near everything.. But NOTHING if your engine is self destructing.....

Jeff in TD
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-01 7:05 AM (#2190 - in reply to #2087)

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I guess if I were in your situation I'd try these things:

First, talk to the service guy and politely ask him to explain how he determined all 6 injectors are bad. I'd also ask if they feel this is damage from a tank of contaminated fuel, or if they got the fuel analized. IE your comprehensive insurance might cover the whole repair if it were bad fuel damage. I'd presume they changed the fuel filter before reading the rail pressure? If so, you would want to save that.

Secondly, I'd ask him if he'd go to bat with the regional rep for you, to see if they would at least cover part of the repair since it is just barely out of warranty.

If neither of those pan out, I'd take it to a Cummins shop. They will have the equipment to test injectors for flow and spray pattern, and may offer rebuilt injectors that should be good as new.

I've read posts from people who've been told they got bad fuel or whatever and needed 6 injectors, lift pump, CP-3 and new fuel rail... but then they had the tank cleaned, lines blown out, and filter replaced and the truck ran perfect.

Once you get things straightened out, I'd suggest adding a supplemental fuel filter, especially since it is out of warranty. From what I've read, Bosh (built the fuel pump and injectors) recommends filtration at least to 2 micron. The Dodge filter was 10 micron, but upgraded a while back to 7. Baldwin makes a 5 micron filter that fits the factory canister, but there are several kits out to mount a 2 micron Fleetguard filter in line.

Some mount the filter down by the frame rail, but if you don't have the engine mounted APPS there is a kit to put a 2 micron filter there. Putting it in the engine compartment makes the most sense to me, since it's warmer there in the winter, and it would be downstream of the factory filter/water seperator that has a fuel heater.
Hookemup
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-06-30 11:11 PM (#2464 - in reply to #2087)

Oh my, this sounds familiar.  I bought an 07 truck in Jan 07 and the following Oct 07, my truck starting running rough when you cranked it.  Yep, I took it to the dealership to have them say, "ma'am a diesel runs rougher than a gas truck"....yadda, yadda, yadda,.  Well, duh, I know they run rougher but not that much.  So they "flush" my injectors to the cost of $189 and then 3 months later I am back for another "rough" run, but this time my dad takes it in and they changed out the injector (under warranty), no cost.  I think I should have gotten my $189 back.  Anyway, now June 09, it starts running rough again, and now the engine malfunction light is on....argh......just when I am going off to the barrel races..... Is this becoming a regular thing with Dodge and the injectors????  Makes me sick.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-07-05 11:32 PM (#2473 - in reply to #2087)

The reason for your fuel rail problem is bad fuel! No matter how much treatment you run thru it there will still be stuff growing in the fuel lines! It is hard to explain, but when you get water in the fuel system stuff like what grows in water tanks starts growning in the fuel system and if not flushed or replaced it will completly stop up the system! Injectors are the first to go or stop up since that is the smallest exit for the fuel, next will be either the lift pump or the injector pump (weakest link first).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)