Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2008 F450
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-30 10:50 PM
7 replies, 8765 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-03-29 5:57 PM (#4948)
Subject: 2008 F450

I am still having issues with my F450. When pulling a empty 4Star 4H to MO from AR, it went into regen about every 30 miles for anywhere between 22 to 30 miles each time! It has been in the shop 7 times for poor performance when towing but they kept coding it deferrently until I caught onto that. Now, I make them sign my complaint letter. Right now, it has a trigger touch computer on it. I am suppose to push the red button everytime it has performance issues. But, it has a 4 push max and only records for 2 minutes each time! I am so done with this truck! I told them the next time it comes in, I will have all my personal belongings out of it. They told me to put miles on it without the trailer. I left my car at home and drove this fuel hog around shopping trying to help it break in so it could do it's job. It has the 4.88 heavy tow package. 24,600. It can't handle 4600! It drops from 13mpg to 7mpg with a empty 4H! What the heck would it do with my big ass Bloomer LQ trailer? It was sold to me to pull my heavy LQ. Isn't that a form of fraud?

I have a Ford case open requesting a buy back. But what the heck am I going to replace it with? I hear all the new duallys are having "issues"!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-03-29 10:30 PM (#4949 - in reply to #4948)
Subject: RE: 2008 F450

In my opinion, I would send it back to Ford and if you are wanting to stay with a smaller truck go try a Dodge 4500 or 5500 with the 6.7, 6 speed auto and get the 4.44 gears. But you gotta get it before the 2011's come out, the 2011 cab n chassis will have the new urea injection system on the exhaust..

Then call me and I will give you the information to rid of the EPA crap and make that thing run how it should....

Wish we was closer to you, I would let you hook up your trailer to my 07.5 Dodge 3500 cab n chassis with the 6.7, 6 speed auto and 4.10 gear with the full delete kit, programmer and see what you think. With our Sundowner I don't even have to use the tow/haul mode any longer. I did use the tow/haul over the weekend hauling 15- 1200lbs round bales, just because we was in town and the exhaust brake works much better in the tow/haul mode.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-03-30 9:26 AM (#4950 - in reply to #4948)

Thanks Hogtown! It is really a shame to pay this kind of money for a truck that has such poor performance pulling a trailer! I am not sure the best way to handle it. I was going to hook to the big gurl trailer yesterday to take it for service until I realized that no one around here was available to come get it if the Ford left me sitting so once again I took it with the M2 instead. If I get a buy back from Ford, I decided to just go back down to a usable 350 instead of messing with another 450 that can't handle the weight. Don't really want another Ford after this ordeal unless it is before the regen models! I think I will look into the Dodge. I know they are going to try to hit me hard on the mileage but I plan to stand me ground since they told me I HAD to put some miles on it. Two years of this not being able to use the truck for the job it was purchased for is enough! I am not going to just trade it off at my expense. Ford is going to have to make it right with me with the buy back offer or I will fight back! 24,264 miles and less than 2500 of those pulling any weight because the darn thing losses so much power when in regen. This last trip with the trailer, they claim there were no codes thrown at all! Hubby thinks maybe if I had to take another Ford  just to get out of this lemon, that I should get a gas engine instead. But, can't get a King Ranch in a non diesel, so I am told.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-03-30 9:29 AM (#4951 - in reply to #4948)

Everyone that admires this truck or tells me they want one, I tell them ......DONT DO IT! I REGRET BUYING THE DARN THING!
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-03-30 10:15 AM (#4952 - in reply to #4948)

First off, I forgot ya'll had an M2, what in the world would you even get in the Ford for? hee hee

How hard do you drive this truck? In my case on my Dodge before I adjusted it I was not driving it hard enough for the regin to complete.

Yes you can get a King Ranch in a gas truck, just have to look for them.

Something else to think about before you take a hit on the Ford. First thing I would do is call Ford direct and tell them everything and see if they have another dealer close to you that can check eveything out, front to rear, top to bottom and see if they find something. If nothing is found I would make them take all of the crap off that was installed to help record any problems, then I would call either Spartin or H&S perfromance and have them send you a DPF delete kit and tuner and be done with the regin mess for good.

You or hubby go to www.powerstroke.org, this is a forum just for FORD trucks and there is a section just for the 6.4L Powerstrokes, you might beable to get some answers from them or atleast you can check out the delelete kits for your truck.

Offer still stands to use my truck and see what you think if ya'll every get down around FT.Worth or Decatur, Texas.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-04-07 7:37 PM (#4959 - in reply to #4948)

Thanks hogtown, for all the help with this. I am going to call the local truck accessory place to find out which programmer they sell and install. I may bring it over Ft Worth way to get it done by folks with more experience ( would love your input as to where). My ford mechanic told me to keep all the stock stuff to throw back on it in case I should need any major work done that would require a factory person to come inspect it. He said,  the delete kit wouldn't affect the routine stuff at all. The dealership is pretty sympathetic since they can't find any REAL solution to the excessive regen issues.

hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-04-09 10:40 PM (#4960 - in reply to #4959)

brushycreekranch - 2010-04-07 7:37 PM

Thanks hogtown, for all the help with this. I am going to call the local truck accessory place to find out which programmer they sell and install. I may bring it over Ft Worth way to get it done by folks with more experience ( would love your input as to where). My ford mechanic told me to keep all the stock stuff to throw back on it in case I should need any major work done that would require a factory person to come inspect it. He said,  the delete kit wouldn't affect the routine stuff at all. The dealership is pretty sympathetic since they can't find any REAL solution to the excessive regen issues.

I posted you a couple of dealers around you (I think). On the trailer site!

Yes, keep all of you stuff, just in case. I have mine and had to reinstall it a few months ago when I had turob problems caused by a vent tube on the tank.
Any way, if your dealer said you can leave it on for routine stuff without warranty problems GET IT IN WRITING! Sorry but I don't trust any factory service departmants at all.

In my opinion your major work will be done with when you remove the EPA crap.

Let me know how it goes.
HTB

Edited by hogtownboss 2010-04-09 10:41 PM
JamesAtkins
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-30 10:50 PM (#4984 - in reply to #4948)

I feel your pain. I have 2008 F-350 with all the bells and whistles on it, Once I got around 18,000 miles on it was over. It was going in the shop for the same thing they just keep calling a different name. With in the past yearand a half I only had my truck in my presence for 4 months. My Cleaning exhaust light keep coming on, power steering went out, water cooler, and last but not least the engine blow up in it. All this happen between 18,000 and 35,000. Currently I have 50,000 on the truck and im scared as hell to put something behind it.

Once they put the new motor in everything been ok, but I dont hardly pull with the truck. I'm not going to lie the new engine is much better engine than the one that comes with the truck ( its hard to believe but it is).

The diesel milage such I took back to the dealer and they reset the computer and I started getting 16mpg just truck and 13 with the trailer. Know 10mpg just truck and 8 with the trailer that bad. It doesnt matter what kind of traile Bumper pull or gooseneck.

I did like you did asking Ford to buy back but they want. The only thing they done was offered me a settlement for my pain and suffering due to the truck always breaking down and in the shop. If you would like I can send you the name of the lawyer I used just email me at j.atkins@sbcglobal.net.

The bad part is everyone have they preference on what truck is better.In my opinion there no perfect truck, I been on the highway with them all Dodge, Chevy, and Ford they all breakdown some more than the other. My Back up truck Is a 2000 F-350 7.3l it has 300,000 miles and the only major thing I replaced is a transmission 6 months ago, compare that to the 08 I have ( Cant keep it out the shop).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)