Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need help - 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-28 7:20 PM
11 replies, 18511 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-07-16 11:25 AM (#5036)
Subject: Need help - 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Due to possible work shortage, husband has been talking with someone about 'trading' trucks to get out from under our payments, reduce our insurance costs and personal property tax.

The vehicle 'we' would be getting is a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4, automatic, 8.1L V8 SLE version, gas engine, allison transmission.  It is an extended cab which is a downgrade from our crew cab. 

This truck has 218,000 miles on it, mostly highway miles and supposedly looks to be in great shape per my husband.  He said the engine looks better than ours (2006 Chev. Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4) ~ but I know more about cars than he does...and thats not much!

I need to know pros and cons of the GMC truck, as I can't find a lot on it.  What kind of engine life should we expect?  (The guy told me we should be able to get 300,000 out of it since it is a HD truck, and he has only pulled a few loads with it)
We have only put 18-20,000 miles on our truck in the 3 yrs and 8 months we have owned it, so husband is 'fine' with the mileage on the GMC, as it wouldn't be used that much.

He said he has the oil changed every 6-7000 miles (is this the normal mileage that it should be done at? Our diesel tells us when oil & filter life gone, and we change it roughly 1x a year ) with synthetic oil, and work done at a dealership  Fuel pump was replaced 2 yrs ago.  (He gave me the name and # of the place he takes it for service so I can call and get info. on truck)
The truck would be used to pull a small 2 horse straight load (approx. 2550 lbs) with probably only 1 horse in it 10 times a year absolute max!  Other than that, it may get a few miles running around town when needed, which wouldn't be much as he has a work truck (assuming he doesn't get laid off).
Husband said this would be a good truck for our son when he turns 16 in a little over 2 yrs.
Do you think it will last that long???
HELP!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-07-16 11:52 AM (#5037 - in reply to #5036)
Subject: RE: Need help - 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Oops, forgot to add,
What kind of gas mileage does this typically get?
It does have a tow package on it. 
Will it really be large enough in the back seat for a car seat (will need a carseat/booster for 6 more years per state law) and 11 and almost 14 yr old boys of average build?

Thanks!
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-07-16 11:03 PM (#5039 - in reply to #5037)

Well here is my thoughts on this truck:
Fuel mileage empty will be around 10 to 12, loaded arond 7 to 8.
Room for car seats in the back will be tight.
Going 300-k miles, YES with the right care. I have had many 8.1's and 6.0 gas trucks from the rail road with well over 300-k and still run great.
These engines will pull a house down.
The reason the engine may "look" better is a GOOD detail job. The downfall of buying a truck that has been detailed is you will not know for sure if it has any oil leaks or anything out of the normal.

Hope this helps.
LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-07-17 12:45 PM (#5040 - in reply to #5036)

Thank you Boss!!  That's the kind of thing I am looking for.
Anyone else?

Also, my husband told me last nite that it does use more oil....and that is expected for a truck with that much mileage.

Is that really true?  Why would it use more oil as it gets older?
Thank you for your help!!
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-07-18 11:47 PM (#5041 - in reply to #5040)

Really depends, it should not really be "using oil". with that many miles you might use a quart between changes but NO MORE! Any more than that you will be looking for ring problems or valve guide problems. The valve guide problem will show up when you start the truck when the engine is cold, you will see some smoke out of the tail pipe. But if I remember right I think you said the guy is using syn.oil and not regular oil... If so you will not see any smoke because this oil will not show smoke like regular oil does.

I use it in high mileage cars that smoke that I just want to patch up and run through the auction, something in the way it is made will make a car stop smoking.
LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-07-19 12:42 AM (#5042 - in reply to #5036)

More info keeps coming up:

Truck was rear-ended and hit car in front of him some time ago, which required a new tail gate, rear and front bumpers, new hitch, front grill, and maybe lights. (I noticed the front right light to be a little cockeyed)

Tires are almost bald in the middle.  Stupid things:  the after market radio only plays a cd or an ipod.  The center console 'top' has the hinges broken and will completely fall off.   Husband thinks it needs the alignment checked as well.
Did try the car seat, and yeah...not much room at all..

He has replaced 2 fuel pumps (1st replacement was supposedly defective), a water pump, had the transmission flushed 2 x's.  Just replaced the spark plugs 2 wks ago.  *Sounds like it was the first time it was ever done* The dealership only had 3 visits going back to 2006, and prior to '06 records are filed away somewhere.  So he has been having a 'buddy' do the work. 

Did they use Dex-Cool in these engines as well?
I know with my car it eventually was turning to sludge and recommended that it be drained, flushed and put regular coolant in.

Had the 'belts' replaced around 145,000 miles.
Has been towing a Bobcat for work, not sure how often, and he said its about 12,000lbs and no problem.  Can anyone tell me how to figure out/where to look to find the axle ratio? 
I know that affects the towing wt. 3.73 supposedly is 9900lbs, and 4.10 is 12,400lbs.  *I am also confused - some sources give the above wts, others give up to 16,100lbs.  Can someone set me straight on this?*  It is a 4x4, with vortec 8.1L V8 with 5 speed allison transmission

He doesn't want a AAA diagnostic testing done on it - thinks that the high revving is bad for the engine.  Husband agrees.  Any thoughts??

Will be having someone look at the truck regardless, but is there anything that should be particularly paid attention to?  Any repairs that may be needed I should know about in the near future?
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-07-19 11:45 AM (#5044 - in reply to #5036)

My personal opinion I would run like hell and find another truck! You are find more and more bad stuff. Dealers keep records forever they dont just get filed away somewhere.

There is plenty of Nice trucks out there right now so there is no need to buy someone elses problems.

And the Dexcool question, all GM's built from 1995 to current must use dexcool collant
LassieLu
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-07-19 5:10 PM (#5048 - in reply to #5036)

Boss,
Yep, not going with this truck.
Had it looked at today, everything 'looked clean'  No codes on the computer.  Dex-cool looked clean, suspension seemed tight.

Said it needed tires, alignment, and front tires seemed to tow in - asked if accident could cause that, they said yes.

Both guys seemed more concerned with the mileage than anything else, think we could do better.

Also, the owner is starting to get pushy all of a sudden.  Said this truck was going to be for his son who's going off to college, but they don't know where....(how come its good enough for me to put 80xxx more miles on it but not his son???)   He is in a hurry since going out of town soon, wants to take 'new' truck instead.  Doesn;t want to put the miles on his tahoe, since once they get over 200,000, they don't get much $$ at the auction, etc. (hmmm) Something is fishy...the more I hear, the less I like.

GMC also put a letter out in 05 saying these engines consume more oil than normal.  May need 1 qt for every 100 gallons of gas.
Owner says he is putting 4-5 qts in (synthetic) inbetween oil changes (every 6-7000 miles).....which is about right then.

Engine has 6000 hours on it. 

Edited by LassieLu 2010-07-19 5:14 PM
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-07-20 3:58 PM (#5050 - in reply to #5036)

I agree with HTB- run- don't walk- run! There are a lot of higher mileage trucks out there, and some of them are pretty nice. Take your time and find a nice one- it will be worth your wait.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-07-21 10:29 AM (#5051 - in reply to #5036)

(synthetic oil)!

Do not know much about this stuff, I do know a vehicle that uses oil or leaks oil will start using more and leaking more with this stuff. The only plus I can see when using it on a vehicle that is smoking the smoking will stop in most cases.

My better half has a NEW Beetle that we use synthetic in, but it is recomended because these engine will sluge up with standard oil, but we have used this since day 1!
armandjones82
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-27 12:33 AM (#5167 - in reply to #5042)

LassieLu - 2010-07-19 12:42 AM

Truck was rear-ended and hit car in front of him some time ago, which required a new tail gate, rear and front bumpers, new hitch, front grill, and maybe lights. (I noticed the front right light to be a little cockeyed)

Tires are almost bald in the middle.  Stupid things:  the after market radio only plays a cd or an ipod.  The center console 'top' has the hinges broken and will completely fall off.   Husband thinks it needs the alignment checked as well.

He has replaced 2 fuel pumps (1st replacement was supposedly defective), a water pump, had the transmission flushed 2 x's.  Just replaced the spark plugs 2 wks ago.  *Sounds like it was the first time it was ever done* The dealership only had 3 visits going back to 2006, and prior to '06 records are filed away somewhere.  So he has been having a 'buddy' do the work. 

I know with my car it eventually was turning to sludge and recommended that it be drained, flushed and put regular coolant in.

Has been towing a Bobcat for work, not sure how often, and he said its about 12,000lbs and no problem.  Can anyone tell me how to figure out/where to look to find the axle ratio? 
I know that affects the towing wt. 3.73 supposedly is 9900lbs, and 4.10 is 12,400lbs.  *I am also confused - some sources give the above wts, others give up to 16,100lbs.  Can someone set me straight on this?*  It is a 4x4, with vortec 8.1L V8 with 5 speed allison transmission

He doesn't want a AAA diagnostic testing done on it - thinks that the high revving is bad for the engine.  Husband agrees.  Any thoughts??

Will be having someone look at the truck regardless, but is there anything that should be particularly paid attention to?  Any repairs that may be needed I should know about in the near future?

I think that if you add up some good parts on that one, like what scoo and other brands would give you, i'm sure that things would be okay by now. But it is up to you in the end in order to really make ends meet on your upgrades.
armandjones82
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-28 7:20 PM (#5168 - in reply to #5167)

armandjones82 - 2011-01-27 12:33 AM

LassieLu - 2010-07-19 12:42 AM

I think that if you add up some good parts on that one, like what scoo and other brands would give you, i'm sure that things would be okay by now. But it is up to you in the end in order to really make ends meet on your upgrades.

Again, you have to really make things sure in order to really get the good upgrade on your vehicle. I'm sure that things would turn out fine after all of this.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)