Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Adding Diamond Plate
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-09-24 4:40 PM
5 replies, 7584 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

KCinKC
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-09-24 10:05 AM (#5091)
Subject: Adding Diamond Plate

Looking for a little advice. I'm adding some aluminum diamond plate to the back bed of my Freightliner. Before I lay the diamond plate down should I put some kind of sealer around the edges to keep the water from getting underneath it ? I'm afraid over time water would get inbetween the diamond plate and the steel bed causing it to rust. I'm not a fan of silicone but there may not be any other options. Thoughts or suggestions ?

I've attached a picture of the back where I want to put the aluminum diamond plate so you can see what I'm talking about. I also included a picture of the truck of how it looked when I first got it a few months ago and one of how it looks currently.

Thanks.

KC

Edited by KCinKC 2010-09-24 10:14 AM

(Back New smaller.jpg)

(Left Orig_small.jpg)

(IMG_3631smaller.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Back New smaller.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Left Orig_small.jpg (51KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3631smaller.jpg (54KB - 0 downloads)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-24 12:05 PM (#5093 - in reply to #5091)
Subject: RE: Adding Diamond Plate

WOW, that look prett neat.... Was that a wrecker to start with?

Are you talking about laying the plate actaully on top of the bed or using it around the sides and back?

My opinon I would run a piece down each side of the top rail on the bed (maybe bend the edge over about an 1" so you can see it fromthe side), then run a piece along the bottom edge of the bed on both sides under the tool box doors, then put some on the back bumper to almost cover the entire face of it or atleast the sides that are slanted in. Then I would put some on the back of the headache rack and maybe a small piece accross the little drop section on the bed facing the rear of the truck. I would think time you install it in upright any water will run out.

By the way, it looks great so far, let me see you you get it decked out...
KCinKC
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-09-24 1:18 PM (#5094 - in reply to #5091)

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I'm talking about putting the diamond plate on the flat part of the bed right behind the headache rack and between the side rails I built. That is where I cut down the front tunnel box and welded it to existing bed. There is roughly a 4'x8' flat spot there. And then I'll put a piece on the headache rack accross the bottom underneath the expanded metal. That's about a 2'x8' piece. So it is the 4'x8' piece that will lay on top of top of the boxes that I'm concern about water getting under and rusting, the vertical piece should not trap water.

No, it is a Vulcan bed but it wasn't set up as a wrecker. I've put dual rectangular air horns on top and a stainless steel visor since the last pictures I took. If I can get the diamond plate done this weekend the only thing left will be making new cab steps for it. I'll probably bend them out of diamond plate too. It's been fun fixing it up, and way cheaper than buying one in this condition.

Thanks for the input.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-24 3:29 PM (#5095 - in reply to #5091)

You was plenty clear, I was just giving you some other ideas that would look cool.

As far as the flat bottom piece, I would use a can or 2 of spray on undercoating or bedliner spray (Autozone) and cover the entire area, let it dry a day or so then install the daimond tread and not worry about it.
KCinKC
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-09-24 4:05 PM (#5096 - in reply to #5095)

The entire bed of the truck (and inside the bed boxes) have all been covered in bedliner after I painted it. It's a brush on liner not a sprayed liner. I just wasn't too sure how it would hold up over the years and over all the rough roads. A buddy suggested using 3M's Stick-Calk under all the outer edges and at every rivet but I don't have first hand experience with it. I'm probably worrying about nothing. Thanks for the feedback.

KC
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-09-24 4:39 PM (#5097 - in reply to #5096)

If you already have the liner stuff on the bed, I would put the diamond tread right on top of it and worry about putting calk or anything else on it.

Don't forget to post some pictures when you are done.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)