Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Changing Gears.....
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-02-01 12:50 PM
1 replies, 6024 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2012-01-28 11:17 AM (#5322)
Subject: Changing Gears.....

I have asked a few in person and get different answers!

I have a 97 Ford F250 7.3 powerstroke 4x4.  It has 3/55's in it right now for gears in the rear end.  I would like 3/73's in it, as they are better for pulling and will still get decent gas mileage.

Is it possible to change these out and any clue as to how much it will cost?  I have been told... that you have to change both the front and rear so the 4x4 will work... then I have been told you can just change out the axle... and some other things. 

So what is the scoop??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2012-02-01 12:50 PM (#5324 - in reply to #5322)
Subject: RE: Changing Gears.....

I'm not sure you will see much difference in pulling power between 3.55 and 3.73 ratio. Yes, it will make some difference, but in the real world, unless you have something like a 4 mile steady pull that you do so frequently you know "I'll be at 50 mph at this curve", it will be hard to tell the difference. Going to 3.90 or 4.10 ratio should make a noticeable difference, but it will make a difference in your fuel mileage and/or cruising speed too. If you do change ratios, and your truck is a 4X4, you will need to make the change in both front and rear differentials. How big a trailer are you pulling? Does your truck have a lot of miles on it?  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)