Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Best Chip for '05 Chevy Duramax?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-22 6:42 AM
2 replies, 5917 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

jkrabel
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2009-02-09 12:22 PM (#2424)
Subject: Best Chip for '05 Chevy Duramax?

I've got an 05 duramax dually with 123,000 miles. I really only get about 15 mpg on a good day. Most of the time it's around 14.5 mpg. When I'm hauling my trailer, it drops to 10-11mpg. What is the best chip for the money to put in this truck?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-10 11:19 PM (#2425 - in reply to #2424)
Subject: RE: Best Chip for '05 Chevy Duramax?

jkrabel, Have you done any exhaust or air intake upgrades yet? If not this is the first thing I would do to get some improvements. Check out S&B intake kit, find a local exhaust shop and tell them you want a 4" exhaust from the downpipe back. Most muffler shops will have the 4" tailpipe instock that has no crimps in the pipe. You are looking for a larger free flowing exhaust with no crimps in the pipe.
There is kits that you can buy, but 99% of the time the way I listed above is about 1/2 price. I get my done around here for $250.00

Then if you want a bit more, check into a EDGE EZ module, this only has about 65hp upgrade so it will not harm your truck, but does increase fuel mileage if you still drive normal.

Check out ebay for the intake and module, this is the cheapest place to buy them. Just buy form someone with lost of feedback and a high rating.
djkrash
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2009-03-22 6:42 AM (#2437 - in reply to #2425)
Subject: RE: Best Chip for '05 Chevy Duramax?

He's right. Air in and air out first. As for a programmer, I use an edge juice w/ attitude. I like seeing what my engine is doing. If you go only with a module, consider installing an A pillar gauge set consisting of exhaust gas temp, boost pressure and trans temp if you have an automatic or fuel pressure if  not. When we start kicking up the power on our truck it is wise to wacth what it is doing. Also look around and join some of the forums dedicated to your truck and engine. Good luck. Dan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)