Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1 ton or larger???
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-21 7:10 AM
7 replies, 7132 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

go4broke
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-07-02 11:09 AM (#2465)
Subject: 1 ton or larger???

I have been considering a truck and trailer upgrade, and can't decide which way to go.   Would it be better in the long run to buy a used small truck (Freightliner, International, 4500...) or just by a one ton dually?  I would like to get a 4 horse living quarter trailer with a mid tack, and don't know which would be the best truck to consider.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeepplr
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-07-03 2:19 AM (#2466 - in reply to #2465)
Subject: RE: 1 ton or larger???

One thing to think about is, the larger the truck the more likely it will draw the attention of the Highway Patrol. Large truck require a CDL, log books, driving time limits, medical cards………
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-07-03 3:44 PM (#2467 - in reply to #2465)

go4broke - 2009-07-02 11:09 AM

I have been considering a truck and trailer upgrade, and can't decide which way to go.   Would it be better in the long run to buy a used small truck (Freightliner, International, 4500...) or just by a one ton dually?  I would like to get a 4 horse living quarter trailer with a mid tack, and don't know which would be the best truck to consider.

Would stay away from any truck with the new DPF and other grap! These trucks are turning out to be pure junk. I have an 07.5 DODGE RAM 3500 C/C with a CM hauler bed. Has been in the shop 3 times and going for a 4th time for a turbo clean and egr clean out. Low power and 9mpg while towing in stock condition, with some simple upgrades to my pcm and exhaust system I boosted my power and fuel mileage to just over 14mpg, but Dodge said its not legal and could void my warranty.
But I asked myself, I said self if Dodge has filed BR and trying to get out of warranty anyway, what good is it?!

Bottom line, if the funds will let you, buy larger than a 1-ton and if you get stopped tell the hwy patrol that you are going to a trail ride or to the vet. works everytime!
go4broke
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-07-03 5:55 PM (#2468 - in reply to #2465)

Thank you for the replies!
PRAIRIEOUTLAW
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-05 10:21 AM (#2470 - in reply to #2465)

The CDL part of that may not be so true. According to what state you live in and the features of the vehicle, you may not have to have a CDL. If you title the vehicle as "RV" and label it "Not for Hire" you do not have to have a CDL for that vehicle. Again this could change from state to state, but I know that in Mississippi that is the case. I'd contact my local DOT office to discuss what you could get by with.
I have been in the same controversy myself for several months as to which truck to go with. I like the larger trucks myself, but I don't think they are practical for me because I could only use the mini semi's to pull my RV with and not to just jump in and run to the local market to pick up a loaf of bread. I'd also look kinda silly backing my boat down the ramp with a huge freightliner. My in-laws have a Freightliner and I like the truck for pulling. It has unreal power when compared to any 1 ton truck and the stopping power is alot better as well.
hogtownboss
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-07-05 11:16 PM (#2471 - in reply to #2470)

I have drove them both, 1-tons to Freighliners and both worked out great for me.... However I am stuck with a 07.5 Dodge 3500 c/c for now. As soon as this economy levels out (if it every does) I will be going back to a med duty truck. It was no different parking the Freightline or International than it is parking this quad cab 1-ton with a 9'4" hauler bed. None of mine every had rv tags, all had farm tags on them.
Cummins boy
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-20 4:29 PM (#2504 - in reply to #2465)

As for the CDL thing, you do not need one on a small Freightliner or International and such. The only time you need a CDL is when it has dual rear axels, unlike the small trucks you are speaking of, or if the truck is equipped with air brakes, which most aren't in the Sport Haulers and such. You need to mark not for hire as stated earlier also. Dependiing on the size of living quarters you get and the shell size a one ton will probably do BUT a sporthauler or something similiar would be very nice.
janerides
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-21 7:10 AM (#2505 - in reply to #2465)

If the trailer has fair -size LQ, and you are pulling in any hills, go with the medium duty...speaking from experience.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)