Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
pre wired new trucks
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-23 6:46 AM
10 replies, 7187 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

valerie
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-19 1:25 PM (#1933)
Subject: pre wired new trucks

I bought a new truck, Ford and am having the same problem that 2 of my friends have (one has a dodge and one a chevy) so I know it isn't the brand of truck.  All these newer trucks come wired with the plugs that fit all the new trailers.  The biggest problem is that none of us can use our interior lights or load lights anymore.  Can anyone explain which wire is missing?  All of them work on the old truck which we had wired for the trailer but we were told when we bought this new one that all the trucks had universal wireing? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-05-19 2:18 PM (#1934 - in reply to #1933)
Subject: RE: pre wired new trucks

Your 7 way plug should have a constant hot wire on the center post..........are you using an adapter between a 7 way on the truck and a 6 way on the trailer?  If so, your truck "hot" wire may not be in the correct position through the adapter....(this usually winds up activating the brakes when the adapter is cross wired)

I would first take my test light and find on the truck receptacle if there is a constant hot wire when the key is off.  good luck....and keep us posted

st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-05-19 6:30 PM (#1935 - in reply to #1933)
Subject: Often the factory removes the fuse for the hot lead.

Your pickups owners manual should tell you where to find the appropriate fuse.
valerie
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-20 8:10 AM (#1936 - in reply to #1933)

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2007-05-19 3:18 PM

Your 7 way plug should have a constant hot wire on the center post..........are you using an adapter between a 7 way on the truck and a 6 way on the trailer?  If so, your truck "hot" wire may not be in the correct position through the adapter....(this usually winds up activating the brakes when the adapter is cross wired)

I would first take my test light and find on the truck receptacle if there is a constant hot wire when the key is off.  good luck....and keep us posted

I will use the test light, they told me that I could use an adapter and not have a problem.  But, then I didn't try to pull the trailer so I don't know if my brakes are locking up.  I will try that first and get back with you.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-05-20 8:45 AM (#1937 - in reply to #1933)

I know on my Ford the hot wire is ONLY hot when the key is on. This is to prevent your trailer from discharging the battery when the truck is not running.
nfr101
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-05-20 9:09 AM (#1938 - in reply to #1933)

We just purchased the new Chevy and had the gooseneck hitch put into the truck. All wiring worked, brake lights, tail lights, turn signals, BUT, no interior or exterior lights. They told us Chevy puts a dummy 30 amp fuse in the panel to run the hot that comes back thru the plug. We put in the fuse and presto it worked fine. Now why they didn't fix it at the shop we will never know, but try the fuse.

Good Luck and happy trails.

st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-05-20 5:57 PM (#1939 - in reply to #1933)
Subject: Often the factory removes the fuse for the hot lead.

Yeah, what nfr101 said, I thought I put that at the beginning of my earlir post, but it disappeared. 16
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-05-20 10:46 PM (#1940 - in reply to #1933)

Our constant hot wires are all ran through a relay (for short protection) and are hot all the time.  This is our preference and probably not stock on the new prewired trucks........a dummy fuse ..... well what will they think of next!  Glad you are fixed up now!
valerie
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-22 9:10 AM (#1941 - in reply to #1933)

Okay, my husband had to rewire the adapter and now everything works just fine.  All lights and all, the brakes were locking up so you guys helped me out a big bunch.  Thank you so much.

I will tell my friends with the Chevy and Dodge to check for dummy fuses.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-22 10:31 AM (#1942 - in reply to #1933)

Originally written by valerie on 2007-05-22 8:10 AM

I will tell my friends with the Chevy and Dodge to check for dummy fuses.

It's not a dummy fuse in the my Chevy.  It is a genuine fuse.  I believe the factory leaves it out until the consumer decides to make the system live... Otherwise there is just another point for the electrical system to fail or get damaged if a mis-wired trailer is connected...  (There is no standard that says the center pin is the aux power.  Some trailers have the center pin as the brakes)

nfr101
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-05-23 6:46 AM (#1943 - in reply to #1933)

In our 2007 Chevy is was a dummy fuse. Fuse in slot, just a fake. Put in a new fuse and everything fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)