Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck rear air suspension systems
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-12-31 11:04 AM
12 replies, 6601 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-06-27 9:25 PM (#2007)
Subject: Truck rear air suspension systems

Looking for some comments (pro/con) about the air suspension system for the rear of a truck.....I have a 1999 Ford F-350 SD 4 x 4 dually and just bought a new trailer with 10' LQ. Any and all advice welcome. (The one I looked at was by Firestone)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 4:53 AM (#2008 - in reply to #2007)
Subject: RE: Truck rear air suspension systems

If you are talking about air bags, I have had them onthe last three trucks I've owned. Put about 200,000 mile on each one with no problems. I just bought a new 3500 and drove it two week then off to the shop for air bags! You can get them with "nipples" on the bumper to air them up but I go ahead and pay the extra for the compresser, just mash a button to go up or down. I keep about 20lbs in mine all the time and it sure helps the ride!
rodeo rudy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-06-28 7:58 AM (#2009 - in reply to #2007)

i too have the air bag system in my truck. it came with the truck when i purchased it last august. [the truck is a 3/4 ton chevy duramax.] i pull a sundowner 30 ft with lq and it's a three horse. i can tell you honestly that i love the air bag system, it makes a huge difference in pulling. i also have the compressor with the two gauges and keep mine at about 20 on each one. good luck with your purchase.
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 11:39 AM (#2010 - in reply to #2007)

I just bought the Firestone air bag system with compressor...going to install it myself. The only thing that looks like a pain is the airlines, otherwise it appears to be a bolt on application. I have heard so many positive reports on this system, that I can't wait to get mine installed!
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 1:25 PM (#2011 - in reply to #2007)

What kind of cost are we talking about?Is there a ball-park range I should be expecting? Thanks for everyone's input!
mseyle
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 3:40 PM (#2012 - in reply to #2007)

I purchased the Air-Lift kit and paid $385.00 and that included the in cab air gague and compressor system. I did the install myself in about four hours.
mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 7:13 PM (#2013 - in reply to #2007)

I don't have the know how to DIY so mine cost $800 installed, I think about half that if you daon't have the compressor and gages.
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-06-29 7:05 AM (#2014 - in reply to #2007)

I put a set of the Firestones on one of our rigs.  Just the plain-jane version, no pump or guages.  Set mine up so that the valve stem assemblies for filling are on either side of my rear license plate, up toward the top.  Works just fine for us.  I believe we ended up getting ours to the ranch for about $250.oo.  Just make sure to order the right set, cause there are some differences in trucks and years, and such.  Good luck, it will be money well spent!
rockinthetrails
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-29 2:19 PM (#2015 - in reply to #2007)

I recomend air bags to all my customers who buy a larger trailer. I have a set on my 1/2 ton to pull my little 3 horse with a 4ft shortwall, it makes a huge difference... I would definatly get the compressor set-up, I didnt on mine and wish I had.. I drive alot of different trucks and every other truck has had the compressor and its just convienent...
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-07-01 8:31 AM (#2016 - in reply to #2007)

Thanks everyone for your comments!! Absolutely EVERYONE sings the praises of the air bags..sooooooooooo..getting them installed on Thursday!!!!!! I'm very particular about my "stuff" and do everyting I can to take care of things properly......I didn't want to put something like "helper springs" (added leaf) on because it was cheaper and then down the road want to kick myself! I feel good about spending the extra money...... Thanks again...gotta go ride now!!!
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-07-02 11:10 AM (#2017 - in reply to #2007)

We have airbags on two of our trucks. On the new Ford dsl/dually we also chipped it w 80 HP so our huge trailer feels like pulling popcorn instead of dead weight. I highly recomend both... however, if it is not all paid for you may want to check on warranty issues.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-07-03 7:56 AM (#2018 - in reply to #2007)

We would not pull a LQ trailer without them. I have them and love it. I borrowed my buddies tyruck a couple of weeks ago because mine was in the shop. He dont have air bags and what a difference, his truck (same exact truck as mine) squatted in the rear and made for a bouncy ride the whole way.
nclabtech
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-12-31 11:04 AM (#2206 - in reply to #2007)

Hi I also have the Firestone Ride Rite air bags on my F250. They ride great, but I have a question for the experts on this site. They appear to lose air if my truck sits parked for a week or so. I do not have the gauges in the cab or compressor. I have the manual fill valve at the license plate. I had the air lines checked and replaced. (I purchased them in Ohio at Congress) and once I got home to NC had the airlines replaced.
The air bags will hold 50 or 60 lbs while pulling my trailer, they just deflate once the trailer is parked. So it appears the problem is not corrected.
Thanks for your help.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)