Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Run generator in truck bed while hauling?.
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-25 9:01 PM
14 replies, 12588 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-05-21 10:54 AM (#1962)
Subject: Run generator in truck bed while hauling?.

I think this was covered awhile back  but danged if I can find it. How many run a portable gen. in their truck bed while hauling ( I want to run AC in LQ, tired of dogs in my lap, regular cab truck and not trading it in.). Safety issues?.Thanks in advance, Rich.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-05-21 2:56 PM (#1963 - in reply to #1962)
Subject: RE: Run generator in truck bed while hauling?.

I've never run it while I was running down the road, but did run it in the back of the truck while I was moving all summer last year. 

It was great to be able to just pull into any truckstop/resturant with truck parking and go to sleep when I got tired.  Stop at I Hop, park get AC going, run inside to eat dinner, go out and go to sleep, wake up run inside to eat breakfast and be gone.  No dishes, no forgetting stuff at a hotel.  It almost made moving fun.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-05-21 6:12 PM (#1964 - in reply to #1962)

The areas I'd worry about are:

Hot exhaust can melt your bedliner or bedrails or anything plastic in the bed of the truck that got too close.  You'd have to be careful, nothing could get close to exhaust because of a sudden stop or quick acceleration.

Be careful with your cord.  Tie it up so it doesn't drag on road, get pinched in tailgate or coupler etc.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-21 6:19 PM (#1965 - in reply to #1962)

How big are your dogs? I seat belt mine into a dog safety harness. Good Luck!
bobtaildog
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-05-21 9:00 PM (#1966 - in reply to #1962)

Buy some dog boxes and put them in the truck bed.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-21 9:39 PM (#1967 - in reply to #1962)

I would not put dogs in bed of truck while going down the road . the dog could not get out of wind or any other problems that happen put metal planting around the generator and up Harvey wire to keep it in place put one under the generator also to keep it safety , ow I would not fill the tank up to much keep the spilling down
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-05-22 12:00 AM (#1968 - in reply to #1962)

We have the same problem (5 medium size dogs). Wouldn't feel comfortable running a generator going down the road. We always try to have an extra stall in our trailers (also, great as a changing room at shows). Our solution is we use the first stall, with the stud divider, for the dogs. We do a combination of two stacked crates with tie downs and three loose dogs. When we get to the show, the crates come out.
snickers
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-05-22 12:36 AM (#1969 - in reply to #1962)

Some good points about hot exhaust and properly protecting the cord to the trailer. Have "worked" several High School National Finals Rodeo's and there were many gens in PU beds inoperation when they arrived. Some of these people were on the road 4-5 days so they must have any safety issues worked out.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-22 11:09 PM (#1970 - in reply to #1962)

Originally written by Snickers on 2007-05-22 1:36 AM

Some of these people were on the road 4-5 days so they must have any safety issues worked out.

Not really....they just haven't encountered a disaster yet...

A running generator is a great extra ignition source in a major crash...

When we, Williston Fire Department, respond to the Interstate for a 10-50...the last thing we want to hear is that we are responding to anything that has living quarters involved...like the Camper that had a FULL SIZED NITROUS cylinder in it, that flew up into the drivers' compartment,(they were on their way to the final Phish Concert, but that's another story)...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-05-22 11:11 PM
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-05-23 6:43 AM (#1971 - in reply to #1962)

Thanks for the input. I have a Yamaha 2400 and figure I could rig it safely. I had not considered it an ignition source, food for thought. I don't have an extra stall and the dogs can't be " buckled in". I'm hesitant to crate them in the back. Quite a quandry, could get a 3 horse trailer but really don't want to push the stability of my srw truck even though its a F350. Can't afford new DRW truck ( mines paid for), hate to give up my 7.3 powerstroke for a sick liter but might find a good deal on a late 2007. Forget the 08 6.4, regardless if it's going to prove itself to be reliable I did some early checking and I'm not going to shell out an additional 20K to upgrade from my truck. Maybe the hounds just need to stay home.Rich
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-05-24 6:15 AM (#1972 - in reply to #1962)

another thought if your going when its really hot which i would assume you are because you want air... what if a fuse blows on the trailer and the air cuts off..would not be good just trying to help with trouble spots before they happen  good luck
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-05-24 2:08 PM (#1973 - in reply to #1962)

We've got two english mastiffs and chain/lock their crates right behind the cab of the pickup.  They may bounce around in a wreck (like they would in the cab), but they wont fly out.  They are the hard sided type and protect from sun and if its cold or rainy we bungi a tarp over them but it only gets wet if we are sitting still.  The cab takes most of the wind/rain. 

There is no way I'm going to have 2 130lb dogs in the cab with me and since they are only 11 months and still in the "chewing" fase there is no way I would allow them anywhere unsupervised even with lots of rawhide, there is always something that looks better.  We've never taken them out with the horses, but we take them camping with us all the time. 

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-05-24 2:54 PM (#1974 - in reply to #1962)

I have done the same with airline crate XXL for a GSD about 130lb.  I also have a 8 month old heeler pup who delights in gnawing on assorted things, and he is small enough to ride in the cab, but goes in the crate if I have to stop to go in the store.  The horse trailer has on onboard generator that I could use going down the highway, but would still need to crate him as chewing the LQ up would really be a terminal situation!  He is maturing and getting better, but best not to tempt him too much unsupervised!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-24 4:04 PM (#1975 - in reply to #1962)

I found the pictures of why I have recommended having the trailer warm rather than running the generator while traveling so you can have a cool trailer interior...

It takes a while for ALL the pictures to download on the site...so bear with it...

http://www.rvappraisals.com/fire-investigations.htm

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-25 9:01 PM (#1976 - in reply to #1962)

The picture show a Mobile home ,the generator is not inside it is outside and if that happens  the drive will see it ( I hope in time)  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)