Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Freightliner vs. International
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-12-12 9:13 PM
15 replies, 28316 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-10-03 1:33 PM (#2107)
Subject: Freightliner vs. International

It used to be my one ton was king of the road, an honest upgrade from the 3/4 ton, and necessary for pulling the bigger trailers.  Then the living quarters came.  And then the sliders.  And then the dual sliders. 

Now there's a whole new class of trucks and conversions for the discerning horseman.  Two of the more popolar continue to be the Freightliner and the International.  I looked around for someone who sold both, in case you have questions. 

His name is Brad Weber from Sundowner of Ohio and hopefully he'll find some time to jump in here and help us out.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bdub08
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-04 1:08 PM (#2108 - in reply to #2107)
Subject: RE: Freightliner vs. International

Thanks Dave....awsome site by the way!!!!..Thanks......OK...SHOOT AWAY!!!!.......I will do my very best to give anyone who chimes in a fair straight answer....My boss thinks I can't be even on this subject because of my relationship with Sport Chassis, but the fact of the matter is this is a Freightliner-International thread....NOT a Sport Chassis-Western Hauler thread.......AND because of that I can say this...they are 2 different critters...both good trucks..they just have differences...and this is why we are here...SO.. ask away !!!...NOW, if you happen to have some questions about Sport Chassis and Western Hauler, I will be glad to help you there also if needed...

I will also be at Congress if anyone is there, and would like to stop by and chew the fat on trucks...

I don't consider myself an expert, just a guy who loves medium duty trucks...and loves to talk about them....Have a great day everyone !!!!

This thead is officially open !!!!!!!
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-10-05 7:58 AM (#2114 - in reply to #2108)

I'm going to ask the very simple questions since that's the way my mind works.  ( You're right Brad, we'll talk about conversions some other day)  When comparing brands of trucks I normally look at three things.  The engine, the transmission and the ride (suspension).  How do these two stack up in these categories.  I realize you could post a response on each.

bdub08
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-05 10:36 AM (#2116 - in reply to #2114)

We will start w/ the powerplant....In the IH, the 570 series IH diesel has been around for quite some time..it is a proven powerplant and it pushes approx. 950 ft lbs of torque on a 310 HP motor....the Allison 3000 series tranny helps get that torque up there....it has plenty of power rollin out at 75 MPH, even with let's say 18,000 # behind it..............On the Freightliner, as of now they are putting a Mercedes 330 in most of them on the market, some might still have a CAT, but the majority is MBE..In 2008, the Freightliners will start coming in with Cummings power....this should make some people very happy !!!..both will be pushing 1000 ft lbs of torque and the Mercedes/Cummings allows for the bigger Allison,3200 series 6 speed auto...Lots of power, max payload is around 26,000 lbs where the max payload on the IH is around 24-25,000 lbs...really not alot of difference there...WE ALL KNOW IT IS ALL ABOUT THE TORQUE !!!!

GVW's...IH @ 19,300------Freightliner @ 19,500...Both under F.E.T.

I already touched on the transmissions, where they are pretty much the same except the MBE allows for the 3200 series which pushed the torque up...same as in the GM vehicles out there...it is the Allison that makes the motor...The Allison is a very high torque powerfull transmission...

Here is where they start stepping away from each other...THE RIDE
It is no secret the Freightliner has a better ride and better turning radius. In fact, one of the biggest selling points to the M2 is the turning radius.....On the Freightliner, they have a taperleaf front suspension with factory sway bar in front and the patented Airliner rear suspension..8000# in front and 11,500# in rear..along with dual air ride cab,air ride front seats and air drop on bed...very smooth,very comfortable,very quite........On the IH, I will tell you that is just drives more like a truck... nothing bad about it, but it is what it is....the ride is just not as smooth or comfortable....it has air ride cab and air front seats and air drop on bed just like the Freightliner......axles ratings are just about the same as you can tell by the GVW's..but when it comes to ride, they are two different trucks...Everyone who comes to our store and drives both trucks, feels it for themselves.....I said it before, both great trucks .....it boils down to what you can deal with or what you cannot deal with....You be the judge, go drive each truck,then post your feelings.......Have a great day & Thanks Dave !!!!
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-05 10:41 AM (#2117 - in reply to #2107)

Hello Brad. Would you discuss engine options first? My business is used medium and heavy duty trucks, and I am very familiar with(and like) the International product, but less familiar with newer Freightliner engine options. Especially the Mercedes diesel. What kind of torque and horsepower ratings  are available? 
Thank you,

Bill 
bdub08
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-05 2:31 PM (#2118 - in reply to #2117)

Bill.....Thanks for the post.....

In the Freightliner crew cabs that I deal in you have 2 options....a 106 chassis that carries a 330 MBE 1000 ft lbs torque power plant....then you have a 112 chassis that carries a 410 MBE big block 1550 torque set up.....The 106 chassis is a 19,500 GVW and the 112 chassis is 25,000 GVW...........The 112 chassis will more than likely put you into F.E.T. because of the GVW...

Let me know if this helps.....

Thanks again...

Big Mac
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-05 3:39 PM (#2119 - in reply to #2107)

What about price? My husband wants a Freightliner, but we are baby boomers and not willing to spend 6 figures for a new truck.

What can we expect if we buy one with 100,000 miles already on it and does the difference in engines make that much difference from 98
to now?

Where would be the best place to look for a used truck?
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-05 4:56 PM (#2120 - in reply to #2107)

Is either of the MBE engines a wet sleeve engine?  Any significant service issues with the MBE? In the 08's, which Cummins, or do you have a choice of two or three? Hopefully the ISC is one of the choices!
Thanks!

Bill

bdub08
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-08 10:18 AM (#2126 - in reply to #2119)

MAC....

Thanks for the post...sorry it has taken me so long to reply....Congress

Money is always a concern...

In the older units, you will find the CAT 3126 powerplant...it was 275 HS from the factory but could be juiced to either 300 or 330 HS....I would have to say you will need to be somewhere around a 1999 or older model to be in the 50K range...Good luck in your searches.....Older units are not easy to find because if some one who has one that is getting rid of it to upgrade,usually sells it to a buddy....

To find one????...Go to HTW.com....this site of course....and really any "equine" or "RV" based website.....Good Luck
bdub08
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-08 10:32 AM (#2127 - in reply to #2120)

Bill....

Thanks for the question....sorry for the delay.....

Yes the MBE is a wet sleeve'd block....

Yes the new "08" Cummings will be the ISC powerplant....Good news huh???

As far as service issues on MBE, I cannot say because I do not live with any at this time...I have heard of some issues, but really do not want to say because it would be hear-say...I have not been able to confirm any of the stories....

MBE is a very good powerplant...but you cannot buy any aftermarket parts for maintenance..aka fuel filter,oil filters etc,etc......must buy MBE parts just like Volvo's...

Hope this helps.....Have a great day....
bdub08
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-11 9:44 AM (#2134 - in reply to #2114)

OK...let's pick this thread back up and talk about torque and rear gear....

Shoot me some questions....

Torque is your pulling power.....this is very important when it comes to making a decision on a truck....rear gear will affect fuel mileage......

What the truck runs at 75MPH RPM wise is very important.....

These all things we have not covered....

Thanks
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-11 12:02 PM (#2135 - in reply to #2107)

Brad, you're absolutely right about torque and axle ratio. It is really nice that the manufacturers over the last few years are offering the right options to be able to spec one the way it needs to be. I don't know how many people have come in looking to convert an FL70 or a 4900 from a local freight truck to a hauler. They don't realize that the 210 horse 520 pound/ft torque engine coupled with a 4.10 axle ratio just isn't going to work for their use. Here in Colorado we are in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, are that makes selecting the right power train even more critical.

Bill
bdub08
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-13 1:24 PM (#2136 - in reply to #2135)

Thank you Bill.....

I appreciate your response......

I am sure that when you pull the Rocky's....you find out real quick just how good your vehicle is....

Thanks again
BlackPearl03
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-29 9:24 PM (#2186 - in reply to #2108)

You keep talking about all the different combos you can get in these trucks so. My question is i have a 40ft. dovetail to haul 6x6 round bales. It will hold 20 bales estimated 1500-2000 lbs a piece. Also i haul in Texas, so all types of terrain. Right now my F350 pulls it, 55 to 60mph sometimes 70 mph depending on the hills and terrain, and it is a hell of chore for it. Workin on upgrades for the truck to improve its ability and they are working but bigger truck would definately help. So which would be the best MDT for my needs?
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-11-30 11:04 AM (#2187 - in reply to #2107)

If I'm figuring this right, when you add truck, trailer, and cargo weight, it looks like with a medium duty truck your gross weight will be around 55,000 lbs. I figured 20 bales @1750 lbs=35,000 lbs, 12,000 for the truck and 8,000 for the trailer. Your F350 probably weighs around 7,300 or so, but a bigger truck will weigh more. 8,000 for the trailer is just a guess, as I really don't know what your trailer is like, but it gives us a number that's probably fairly close to work with.

If I were looking for something to pull that kind of weight, I'd be looking at a single axle tractor with a 10 to 11 liter engine around 300 to 350 HP and at least 1,000 to 1,100 lbs/ft of torque. It sounds like you do a fair amount of highway driving, so I would want around a 3.90 rear ratio and an overdrive transmission. If you go to a heavier duty truck, you may want to look at air ride, as that will keep your truck from beating itself to death when you're empty. 

This is a lot more than you have now, but what you are doing won't tear this set up apart.

Bill

easternshoreduramax
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-12 9:13 PM (#2196 - in reply to #2107)

In my humble opinion, i believe that the Freightliner is the way to go. First I really think that the Cat motor is the way to go. In all my experiences Cat Diesel's can out perform comperable motors. The International only offers the Navistar 466 and 530 motors. Also my biggest gripe about the International is the quality of the interior parts. I drive an International 4000 series truck at my job and we have had numerous problems with it.
The climate control has malfunctioned and won't operate at the setting it's on, the door seals are not up to quality standards as i can fit my fingers between the door and the seal, and finally numerous vents, handles, and mirrors, come loose and fall off. Hope this is helpful
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)