Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New HD Truck Shootout Part Three, great towing comparison, gas verses diesel
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-12-04 2:40 PM
15 replies, 8733 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-06-28 5:41 PM (#2047)
Subject: New HD Truck Shootout Part Three, great towing comparison, gas verses diesel

I spent all of last week in Detroit doing a HD gas and diesel trailer towing comparison for the new trucks with http://www.pickuptruck.com/ It's a three or four part series with mountains of data check, it out at http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1.html when it's all out, we'll post it on the home page here.

On a sad note GM in their infinite wisdom sold Allison Automatic to privite investers today. Last year they sold their shares in Isuzu, the developers of Duramax. I'm going to their next yard sale and see what's left. Here's the story http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070628/gm_allison.html?.v=1 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-06-28 8:45 PM (#2048 - in reply to #2047)
Subject: RE: New HD Truck Shootout and goodbye Sweet Allison

"Say it ain't so, Joe"  Maybe there's some truth to the story I heard a couple of months back that China was seriously investigating to purchase GM. Who knows what will be next?

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-06-28 9:39 PM (#2049 - in reply to #2047)

GM is no longer going to install Allison trannys in their HD series trucks? How stupid.
MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-06-28 9:55 PM (#2050 - in reply to #2047)

GM will still use Allison, but now maybe Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota and anybody else may join the fun.
dressagedad
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 10:07 PM (#2051 - in reply to #2047)

The article that you linked in your post says it is the commercial and military Allison plants that GM is selling and that the plant that makes the transmissions for pickups and SUVs will remain with GM. I don't have any independent info on this, but that would seem to imply that the Sierra/Silverado line could keep their excellent transmissions and a crucial differentiation in the marketplace for the time being.
MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-06-28 11:22 PM (#2052 - in reply to #2047)

Well it says "The sale to Onex Corp. and The Carlyle Group includes seven manufacturing plants in Indianapolis and its global distribution network and sales offices." and "a" production facility for trucks and hybrids stays with GM. So GM keeps a factory building, and hopefully we'll continue seeing more T1000's for the Duramax.  The point is that Allison will be no longer controlled by GM, like Huges, Delphi, etc. A couple of Allison engineers in Colorado trouble shooting repairs today, confirmed they "we're glad" to see it happen. Allison as an independent will have more options. Maybe someday a one ton with a Cummins and Allison would be in showrooms and maybe a Toyota dually with an Isuzu/Allison. Think of the possibilties. More details will come from GM this summer.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-06-29 12:36 AM (#2053 - in reply to #2047)

When Toyota,  Nissan, or Honda start making one ton duallys, I'll be the first one in line to buy one.  Don't get me wrong I love my F350, but I've had much fewer issues over the years with my import cars than I have with my domestic cars and trucks. 
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-29 9:59 AM (#2054 - in reply to #2047)

Is not the Carlyle Group the outfit that just bought Chrysler from Daimler Benz? If so, there may be a Cummins/Allison Dodge 4500 in our future sooner than later!

That would qualify as GOOD news in my book.
MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-06-29 11:17 AM (#2055 - in reply to #2047)

Cerberus Capital Management is buying Chrysler. And they bought 51% of GMAC last year. They are in talks for buying Jaguar and Land Rover. They are a private company which is good, they can concentrate on the "big picture" instead of the main focus being a annual dividend to share holders. That's a problem for auto makers is they have to keep improving the bottom line while sacrificing their future.
gabz
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-06-29 12:25 PM (#2056 - in reply to #2047)

HEY!!  How come you didn't yell at me when you were here? 

So much upheaval right now in the automotive industry...

In 2 years, I'll be ready for a new truck... 

MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-06-29 2:02 PM (#2057 - in reply to #2047)

Hey back, haven't heard from you in a long time. That would have been a good plan. You could have drag raced the F450. Email me, I have plans

MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-07-01 11:40 PM (#2058 - in reply to #2047)
Subject: New HD Truck Shootout Part Two

The second section is up now, see the stats, http://www.pickuptruck.com:81/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1milan.html 
MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-07-08 5:51 PM (#2059 - in reply to #2047)
Subject: RE: New HD Truck Shootout Part Two

Third part of the HD Shootout is up, towing trailers up 7 and 15% grade

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1mpg.html 

this is the most detailed comparison I ever seen or been part of. I have a couple more sections I'll add later. But take the time to study the graphs, as they tell quite a story about trucks towing trailers.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-07-09 12:23 PM (#2060 - in reply to #2047)
Subject: RE: New HD Truck Shootout Part Three, great towing comparison, gas verses diesel

Just a small question about the test parameters.  Why did the test only include a 10,500 lb trailer.  People with diesels are notorious for pulling at the gross combined vehicle weight rating. Loaded trailers around 15,000 lbs. I was just curious.
MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-07-09 12:38 PM (#2061 - in reply to #2047)
Subject: RE: New HD Truck Shootout Part Three, great towing comparison, gas verses diesel

Good question, we could have loaded most of them to 12k, but we couldn't expect the truck manufactures to put gooseneck hitches in new trucks for one week. The two smaller gas engines weren't rated for 15k. So we had to use bumper pulls and use the same weight. The F450 already had a 5th wheel. I would like to use heavier trailers and maybe next time we'll have separate trailer classes. It was very expensive collecting the electronic data, the whole project was very expensive. We need to get a trailer sponsor for next year. Next year will be the 1/2 ton class. The OEM trailer capacity between 1/2ton and 3/4ton is getting close. We might even luck out and get some 2009 diesel 1/2 tons late next summer.
Jeff in TD
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-04 2:40 PM (#2191 - in reply to #2047)

Regarding Allison and GM, I would imagine they have an exclusive contract? Something like Dodge and Cummins have for pickup engines?

Anyhow, I think Dodge just dumped some change into developing their own 6 speed (68RFE), plus they have the 6 speed aisin for the cab and chassis, so I doubt they were planning on getting allison...

P.S. That comparison of pickups was really good reading. The closed course thing for towing up grades was great, but I really wish they did some open road/long distance runs towing and empty to get some fuel mileage figures. I think the version done back in like 2003 or 2004 was done on open highway?

With diesel bumping up close to $4 a gallon, efficiency is starting to mean more to me than towing to the top of a grade faster.

Anyway, that was a great article. I wonder if the previous version of the article pointing out that the 4 speed 48RFE really held the Dodge's performance back helped nudge Dodge into finally getting a decent performing auto...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)