Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck question
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-01 7:57 PM
17 replies, 6838 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

daereon29
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 3:42 PM (#1871)
Subject: Truck question

Hi there-

I am looking to buy a truck to eventually pull a trailer with but am having a hard time finding answers to a couple questions that I have and was hoping someone might be able to help. 

I am looking at  the Ford F-150 with a V8 engine- is that a big enough truck/engine to pull a smaller 2-3 horse trailer?  Or do I need a different engine size or truck?  Any feedback or comments would be great.  Thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-04-19 7:42 PM (#1872 - in reply to #1871)
Subject: RE: Truck question

Are you considering having a living quarter in this?  The truck you described will pull a 2-3 horse trailer with no living quarters just fine.  I would look at a GN though.  I have hauled both the BP and the GN and there seems to be more stability with the GN.   I haven't owned a F-150 for several years now, but I do believe that they have a tow package on them as well.  I would consider having that on it. 
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 9:16 PM (#1873 - in reply to #1871)

I recently sold my 2005 F 150 with the big v-8 because gas mileage was terrible and power was not that great with our 3 horse elite bumper pull aluminum stock trailer. We were pulling from Indiana to Carthage Missourri for an auction with 3 horses and had to stop EVERY TWO HOURS for gas. Upon arriving home after the trip, I immediately called my salesman wanting to trade for a diesel. You just can't match the power,gas mileage, and stability with the F 350 diesel. THe F- 150 did the job, but with strain in pulling and especially stopping the trailer. We replaced the rotors and brakes every 7500 miles. The dealer acted like we were doing something wrong and requested we put the electric brake on maximum setting!!!! Now with our new truck, pulling and stopping the trailer are not an issue. You can't even feel the trailer back there. You can definately feel the difference from the F150. The horse trailer seemed to over power the F 150.....Yes it can be done, and we did it............BUT if you can afford a diesel in a 250 or 350----It is nice knowing you can pull a larger living quarter in the future if needed. Best Of Luck!!!!
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-20 6:31 AM (#1874 - in reply to #1871)

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how you arrived at the F150?  I shopped all the 1/2 tons recently, and the Ford is trailing the competition when it comes to power in their top end V8.  With that said, they also advertise a "properly equipped" towing capacity that is 11,000 lbs, that seems very optimistic to me given the fact their engine simply is the lowest output V8 in the class.  I know there are other factors to consider, but for towing ability I didn't put the Ford at the top of my list.

Good Luck with your search, I think the general opinion would be to get something with more power and stopping ability. 

Steve

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-04-20 8:57 AM (#1875 - in reply to #1871)

Can a half ton with a V8 safely do the job? You bet, assuming you're within the rated capacities...

IMHO, you might be better served in the long run to consider a 3/4 ton for a number of reasons. Trailer-itis (the inclination to buy a bigger trailer every few years) is all too common. I started with a 2H bumper pull and before I knew it we were pulling a 4H LQ trailer. Go figure.

LAXPatrick
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-20 9:49 AM (#1876 - in reply to #1871)

Originally written by laxpatrick on 2007-04-20 8:57 AM

Trailer-itis (the inclination to buy a bigger trailer every few years) is all too common. I started with a 2H bumper pull and before I knew it we were pulling a 4H LQ trailer. Go figure. LAXPatrick

From what I've heard it often leads to other diseases as well...

1. Truck-itis - The need for the bigger truck to fit the bigger trailer purchased as a result of trailer-itis
  2. Need More horses-itis - the compulsive need to fill the stalls brought on by the trailer-itis, and compounded by truck-itis
  3. Accessor-itis - The confounding need to purchase things you really don't need since "what the heck, we've got all this room now"
RoperChick
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-04-20 1:28 PM (#1877 - in reply to #1871)

Originally written by SHMANN on 2007-04-20 7:49 AM

Originally written by laxpatrick on 2007-04-20 8:57 AM

Trailer-itis (the inclination to buy a bigger trailer every few years) is all too common. I started with a 2H bumper pull and before I knew it we were pulling a 4H LQ trailer. Go figure. LAXPatrick

From what I've heard it often leads to other diseases as well...

1. Truck-itis - The need for the bigger truck to fit the bigger trailer purchased as a result of trailer-itis
  2. Need More horses-itis - the compulsive need to fill the stalls brought on by the trailer-itis, and compounded by truck-itis
  3. Accessor-itis - The confounding need to purchase things you really don't need since "what the heck, we've got all this room now"

I have Need More horses-itis, it's a very expensive affliction and hard to cure.   My husband has the other two afflictions so we are in bad shape. 

Edited by RoperChick 2007-04-20 1:30 PM
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-04-20 2:59 PM (#1878 - in reply to #1871)

I use a 1999 F-150 4x4 supercab with 5.4 L Triton V-8.  I pull a warmblood sized Logan two horse straight load (no dressing room).  The truck has a factory tow pkg and I added a Primus brake controller.  I don't haul alot but so far everything is working great!  The only thing is that I am slow up a steep grade.  The heaviest load I have pulled so far with in my  trailer is about 1900 lbs yesterday. A mix of highway and country roads driving about five miles under the speed limit.  I drove 160 miles on half a tank of gas.  Does that help?
daereon29
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-24 10:19 PM (#1879 - in reply to #1871)

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how you arrived at the F150?

I've always liked Ford trucks and there seem to be the biggest selection of used Fords out there.  I'm looking for a '04-'05 under 17k and everything else seemed too expensive or not what I was looking for.  The gas milage isn't great, but all the trucks seem to be around 15-17 mpg.  Should I consider a different truck? Judging by the comments the F-150 won't be the best choice.  Thanks again.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-25 6:34 AM (#1880 - in reply to #1871)

Should you consider another truck?  To be honest, I haven't looked closely at the 2004 & 2005 models - My questions and comments were directly relating to what is new and available right now.  As of this model year Fords largest 1/2 ton V8 simply doesn't compare well to the some of the competition.  They have real high tow and load ratings (properly equipped), but I don't see how they translate all that well to real world driving, in other words, how could the least powerful V8 with a 4spd Automatic have a real world chance of succesfully towing 11,000 lbs? 

To me, the truth is that any of these contemporary designs can handle a 2H bumper pull without a problem, but I tend to get hung up on specs.  If you found a nice used 5.4 out there it would probably do just fine, and it sounds like other folks are using them without complaint.  In case I didn't post it before, http://www.trailerlife.com/ has a listing of tow ratings back to the 99 model year, that will really help you determine if a specific truck you're considering has the right set-up for you.

Good Luck!

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-04-26 8:16 AM (#1881 - in reply to #1871)

I am not necessarily a Ford fan, but I do not see what "least powerful V8" has to do with towing capacity. Look at the pickups from the early '90s. Not one of them, from any brand, had as much power as Ford's new "least powerful" engine. We all were towing just fine.

The beefiness of the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes would be the things I would look at when contemplating towing capacity.
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-29 7:20 AM (#1882 - in reply to #1871)

I had an 01 F150 and it towed "ok." I now have an 07 Silverado and it seems to strain less with the load. All other things were equal, both were 1/2 ton, engine size same (5.3 vs 5.4) factory installed towing packages (though I don't believe my Ford had a transmission cooler).

I just feel that the Chevy seems to haul smoother and with less strain.

I don't do a lot of long-distance hauling, mostly less than 10 miles one way, occasionally 100 miles one way.  The 1/2 ton Chevy works for me. (And I was ALWAYS A Ford person!)

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-04-29 7:36 AM (#1883 - in reply to #1871)

11 Years ago I bought a F150 super cab witht he 5.4 engine. I pulled a 3 horse steel BP trailer back then. Some of the 6-7% grades slowed me down a bit. The engine would run at higher RPMS as it climbed up them. That engine seemed to hunt gears more than my diesel. And when towing it did not get as good of mileage that my diesel do.

But it got better mileage unloaded. Was easier to park and use as a daily driver in town. It got the horses to the lcoal trails that I like to ride.

I never had any problems with the truck in the 3 years I owned it.

But like the others above, I was infected with the Itis and bought a 2000 F350 Diesel and 3 horse GN. Then a 2003 F350 and then a 2005 3 horse LQ  and then a 2006 F350 and now a 2007 4 horse LQ. Is there a cure?

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-29 1:45 PM (#1884 - in reply to #1871)

Originally written by jdzaharia on 2007-04-26 8:16 AM

I am not necessarily a Ford fan, but I do not see what "least powerful V8" has to do with towing capacity. Look at the pickups from the early '90s. Not one of them, from any brand, had as much power as Ford's new "least powerful" engine. We all were towing just fine. The beefiness of the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes would be the things I would look at when contemplating towing capacity.

I got a chuckle when I read your post - Well first off, what would the least powerful V8 have to do with tow capacity...? Seriously, quite a bit, especially when it's combined with a 4spd Automatic.  So in your opinion the power of the engine doesn't matter?? Naturally the more powerful V8 in the same truck is going to have a better tow rating and a better real world towing ability.  The 1/2 tons from the early 90's did quite well, and I commented that the current Fords would quite likely also do just fine with a 2H bumper pull - but I know the early 90's models don't have nearly the tow capacity that the current models offer. 

You also said that you'd be more concerned with "Drivetrain, suspension, and brakes" - me too, last time I checked the engine and tranny were a pretty significant part of the drivetrain.  Your other points are very valid - Chassis, suspension, Brakes all combine to make a decent tow vehicle. 

My main point is this - at the moment, Ford has lagged behind the competition in the 1/2 ton segement in some key areas - the 5.4 is one of them.  Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota all offer higher horsepower, more torque, and with the exception of the Chevy - 5 or 6 spd trannys.  Chevy has a 6spd coming to market in their 1/2 ton very soon.

Edited by SHMANN 2007-04-29 1:47 PM
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-04-30 8:48 AM (#1885 - in reply to #1871)

SHMANN, to clarify, what I am saying is that engine power does not directly correlate to tow capacity. My '91 C2500 HD has only 190 hp, but waaay more towing capacity than the 300 hp 1/2 tons of today. It has a heavier transmission (not necessarily more gears), heavier axles, heavier brakes, heavier suspension, heavier everything.
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-30 11:49 AM (#1886 - in reply to #1871)

Well I have to disagree to some extent - I do understand what you're saying, and we actually agree about all the apsects together add up to a adequate towing vehicle, but engine power (HP & Torque) go a long way to establishing a vehicle as a solid towing rig. 

Regarding your 91 C2500 having "waaay" more towing capacity than the "300 hp 1/2 tons of today" ... I can't check your facts due to the age of the truck, but I seriously doubt that statement as well.  I was able to go back to 1999, and the C2500 and C3500 maxed out at 10,500 lbs tow rating (from the manufacturer) - there are more than a couple 1/2 tons that could "kick some sand" in the face of that tow rating, and the current 2500's go "waaay" beyond it.  I really doubt that the 1991 model has a lot higher rating than a model 8 years newer. 

Anyway, this is fun, but we're veering off the course of the thread.  The fellow was asking about F150's  - hopefully he's found a nice one by now.

Edit - Actually I did find the 1991 Specs -

1991ChevroletC2500/C6P Pickup (2WD)5.7 V-810000
Maximum gross trailer weight includes passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle plus any cargo in the trailer. The additional weight must be subtracted from the maximum tow rating.
Requires 4.56:1 (4.10:1 with 7.4 V-8 and V2500 with 5.7 V-8) axle ratio, Z82 Trailering Special Package, weight-distributing hitch. Maximum tongue weight 1000 lbs. (950 lbs. for R2500 and 6.2 V-8 diesel; 750 lbs. for V2500 and 6.2 V-8 diesel).

Edited by SHMANN 2007-04-30 12:16 PM
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-04-30 12:19 PM (#1887 - in reply to #1871)

I do understand that hp and torque are a considerable part of a "complete" towing vehicle.  But, at the same time, I think by today's standards, even the least powerful V8 will be sufficient for the remainder of any 1/2 ton pickup out there.

As for the '91, I seem to remember something around 10,000 lbs.  Maybe I am "waaay" off, though.  GVW is the same as a '99 model; I am sure of that.

Anyway, yes, we are "waaay" off topic.  Ha ha.

hwhughes
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-05-01 7:57 PM (#1888 - in reply to #1871)

There is now way I would pull a 3 horse GN with a 1/2 ton truck. I have a S/H 3 horse slant w/tack room in front and have had to replace the jack twice. Once pulling with a 05 ford and once with 06 dodge. A friend sued it once pulling it with a chevy and it still squited quit a bit. You should cosider get at least a 3/4 ton truck. My 97 f250 get 8 mil to the gallon better than my company's 1/2 ton dodge. I've had doge and ford both and like the ford better. A friend of mine has a duro max and I like it too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)