Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Leaving LQ trailer hooked up to truck while parked for a few days
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-19 9:22 PM
18 replies, 7432 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-14 10:45 AM (#1575)
Subject: Leaving LQ trailer hooked up to truck while parked for a few days

I bought (well me and my wife) bought a really nice Exiss 3 horse slant L/Q gooseneck.

I have it in front of my house getting accustomed and used to all the gadgetry it has. LOL.

I live in a city, and i'm towing it around as much as i can to learn how to tow the thing. Yes, I've never towed anything in my entire life - I bought the trailer three hours away from my house. It was a real learning lesson ;) i guess ya dont know if ya can do it or not if you dont try!! I got it all the way home w/out bringing any lightpoles or stop signs with me through bakersfield!!

My questions is - at my house, it is hooked up to my 3500 Dually, i have the trailer jacks in the up position (so the weight is on the truck) is it ok to leave it like that for a day or two?

Thanks guys! (and gals!)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-01-14 11:01 AM (#1576 - in reply to #1575)
Subject: RE: Leaving LQ trailer hooked up to truck while parked for a few days

yes.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-14 11:04 AM (#1577 - in reply to #1575)

I have occasionally wondered the same thing.  Seems to me that the truck is designed to carry that weight... In the service lifetime of a truck, I'm very certain that the truck supports the trailer's weight for more than 24-48 hours...

Maybe I'm wrong... but I think you're OK doing that...  Congratulations on your purchase--and successful navigation of the Salinas area.  I recently returned back to the normal world (heheheheh) following graduation from Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey.  That part of CA isn't too bad.

Mike

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-14 11:05 AM (#1578 - in reply to #1575)

You're awesome, thank you so much for your reply. I was just wondering because i keep the jacks in the Up position and it actually made my truck squat a little bit. I never EVER thought i could do that to that thing! LOL.

And the scarey part is - I was the guy making the post about living quarters and a GMC 1500 CC. After driving it home up and down hills w/ the duramax (which was absolutely incredible BTW - I kept it on cruise at the posted speed limits and it never came out of overdrive, even up the hills). I would have BLOWN up the 1500 in about 30 miles, without a doubt!

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-14 11:14 AM (#1579 - in reply to #1575)

Originally written by racesarabhorses on 2007-01-14 9:04 AM

I have occasionally wondered the same thing.  Seems to me that the truck is designed to carry that weight... In the service lifetime of a truck, I'm very certain that the truck supports the trailer's weight for more than 24-48 hours...

Maybe I'm wrong... but I think you're OK doing that...  Congratulations on your purchase--and successful navigation of the Salinas area.  I recently returned back to the normal world (heheheheh) following graduation from Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey.  That part of CA isn't too bad.

Mike

Congratulations on your graduation! If you're ever in the area again be sure to PM me if you're in need of company or a suggestion on things you may want to check out.

I bought the trailer at www.thetrailermart.com. I saw the ad on horsetrailerworld.com and can not say enough good things about the people at the trailer mart. I dont know if this forum lets us give credit where credit is due - but they are great. I am keeping it at my house because we are having VERY adverse weather (the temps are in the 20's here - they're NEVER Like that) and I left water in the LQ which froze and busted one of the hoses. :
They were great, I'm going to bring it back (My choice, they found me a guy closer than Bakersfield, but, I like the driving lessons I get by taking it places and they were REALLY exceptional over the phone.). It's not the trailers fault I didnt winterize it (it was the first night i had it) and they're going to fix it for me.

Dawnya
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-14 11:39 AM (#1580 - in reply to #1575)

Cosmopolitan (shaken..not stirred)

My rig stays hooked up 24/7.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-01-14 12:38 PM (#1581 - in reply to #1575)

I don't see any problem leaving it hooked up.

Look at all the pick up trucks that leave the campers on them year round.  Or for that matter the Camper conversion where they buy a chasis cab and add a camper. That weights stays on those spring/tires for the life of the vehicle.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-14 1:33 PM (#1582 - in reply to #1575)

My truck and trailer is usually left hitched together.  When I've the time and inclination, I crank the landing gear to take most of the weight off the truck.

Two reasons:

The tires do get flat spots.  Listen while driving after a few days of setting.  You'll hear the tires slapping the pavement for the first couple of miles.

It's makes the whole rig just a little bit harder to steal.  The added step of jacking up the gear is more time to be caught.

DOWNSIDE ...  Driving off without raising the gear is dangerous to your purse.  But. I habitually do a walk-around before driving anyway.  There were several times I caught an unlocked hitch or open compartment cover.

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-14 8:49 PM (#1583 - in reply to #1575)

Thank you, Jason.  Enjoy your new trailer!!  Sounds like a very nice trailer, and I'll check out trailermart.com.

Mike

CMEL8TR
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-01-16 4:48 PM (#1584 - in reply to #1575)

I don't see anything wrong with leaving your trailer hooked to your pickup 24/7 the only thing that I would be careful of is making sure that you have everything turned off in the living quarters. If your out playing with all of the goodies that it has just be sure and turn everything off when your done, otherwise you will run the risk of running the battery down on your pickup. Have fun with your new trailer.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-16 5:47 PM (#1585 - in reply to #1575)

Another vote for "It's OK"

When you're out camping, you'll have it hooked up for a few days.
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-01-16 5:56 PM (#1586 - in reply to #1575)

We've all probably discussed this before, for the life of me I can't find a recent thread - so....I have a 3500 dually diesel - have air bags on it and my tongue weight on my trailer is about 7,000 lbs......isn't this a ONE TON truck....wouldn't that mean I shouldn't have all the weight from my trailer in my truck bed if I'm not actually towing it? I have always let down all 3 stands/jacks and take it off my truck - the trailer is 45 ft. long - it would be easier to leave it hooked when I'm camping...
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-01-18 5:07 PM (#1587 - in reply to #1575)

How much trouble is it to just put your jacks down?I have electric and just put them down to stabilize the trailer and take a little weight off and leave it like this till I am ready to go again.You can put a sticky note on your steering wheel if you are prone to forget,,,HA HA Have fun!I should say electric operated hydraulic. need a sticky note on My forehead.

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2007-01-18 5:09 PM
Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-18 5:25 PM (#1588 - in reply to #1575)

Originally written by SLICKRNSNOT on 2007-01-18 3:07 PM

How much trouble is it to just put your jacks down?I have electric and just put them down to stabilize the trailer and take a little weight off and leave it like this till I am ready to go again.You can put a sticky note on your steering wheel if you are prone to forget,,,HA HA Have fun!I should say electric operated hydraulic. need a sticky note on My forehead.

Thats somewhat i did - I have elec over hydraulic dual jacks but didnt want to wake the neighbors (they're not that loud, but i'm pushing it by letting is sit in front of my house).

I took and pulled the wiring connector all the way forward and over the side of the bed so as i got into the drivers seat, i COULDNT forget because i had to hook it back up.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-01-18 5:43 PM (#1589 - in reply to #1575)

Not that we wwould ever do that...
Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-18 5:49 PM (#1590 - in reply to #1575)

LOL no not any of us -

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-19 7:27 AM (#1591 - in reply to #1575)

I leave my rig hooked up pretty much all summer as I attend many shows and its easier on me. Unless we need the truck for something else ( and we have another truck as well) I just park it by the barn. I don't even raise the trailer up.So like everyone else, I wouldn't be afriad to leave it hooked up. 
Amos
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-19 9:10 AM (#1592 - in reply to #1575)

Jasondt2001- Congrats on the new purchase!!! You will surely enjoy it once you figure everything out. And good luck on figuring out how to pull it. Those first few times out your butt pucker factor will be along about 10. Or at least mine was anyway. One tip however, you need to be very careful, better safe than sorry, and accidents happen very quickly and you have a lot more weight on your back end. Good luck and HAPPY TRAILS
Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-19 9:22 PM (#1593 - in reply to #1575)

Thanks alot Amos.

You're right, i'm just getting the hint of it. I've enjoyed just pulling it around town the last couple days for practice. I'm getting kinda cocky about it because i'm getting GOOD :) LOL.

Just dont ask me to back into a spot yet :P

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)