Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
thinking about getting new truck, help me
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-10 10:17 PM
28 replies, 12759 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

HorseTrainersHusband
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-14 8:44 PM (#2024)
Subject: thinking about getting new truck, help me

First off, i have an '02 Dodge quad cab 3500 dually Laramie package cummins, etc....  Love the truck, want to get something bigger interior wise, wouldn't mind getting a newer dodge, but they are not as roomy as the fords or chevy's.  How much you think my truck is worth??  It is power everything, heated leather seats, 4x2, bumper hith, gooseneck hitch, has only 36k miles on it.

Now, which of the the other two is better, i'm looking at 2005 and newer.

thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-07-14 10:18 PM (#2025 - in reply to #2024)
Subject: RE: thinking about getting new truck, help me

If you are happy with the Dodge, they now offer the Mega Cab in a dually.  I have a Ford and am pleased with the room it has.  It is a crew cab.  I teach high school and it is common to have five kids in there with me.  Plus these are some farm raised kids and they take up their fare share of room.  A friend of mind had a Chevrolet and they felt that my Ford had more room to offer when hauling several in it at a time.  The best thing to do would be go go and take the family and test them out on the same day and compare right then. 
dmgrinnell
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-07-15 1:16 AM (#2026 - in reply to #2024)

I wouldn't go with one of the new 2008 Ford 250/350's. We just had a service tech return from training on the new models and they have some issues to work out! I would wait a couple of years before buying one of the new models or buy a previous years model. There are some awesome deals on 2007 models and really great deals on the 2006 if you can still find one!!! Good luck in your search, buying a new truck is exciting but always a little scarry!
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-15 8:50 AM (#2027 - in reply to #2024)

We have a GMC Duramax with full rear doors, and there is quite alot of room in the back seat...I am 6'1" and fit comfortably in the back seat. We love the Allison transmission and the DMax has plenty of "go". If you already like the Dodge, the new Mega Cap might be up your alley.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-07-15 9:47 AM (#2028 - in reply to #2024)

I think I would keep the "02", 36,000 mile Dodge and .........go on a diet! They may allow you $20,000.00 against a new $54,000.00 truck. Count your calories and save your money!
HorseTrainersHusband
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-15 11:28 AM (#2029 - in reply to #2024)

its not the "calories" that is the issue.  Have a growing family and need a full sized truck.   I'm thinking a 2006 or 2007 f-350 might be the ticket.
Rick
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-15 1:58 PM (#2030 - in reply to #2024)

I have a 06 F-350 crew dually, 6.0 diesel, I'm am 6'3/200lbs and when I have drivers seat set for me I still have room to sit in back behind drivers seat. Plenty of leg room, I guess if you don't mind a short bed I may be wrong but Dodge Mega cab only used to be avaliable in short bed???? I would have loved the mega cab but no short bed for me.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-07-15 2:28 PM (#2031 - in reply to #2024)

My truck is an 02 and their idea of a quad cab was the "half" rear door and there isn't much leg room back there.  when the kids get older I'm gonna have to get a bigger truck too.  We looked at the Dodge mega trucks but I didn't like the short bed.  That was the main thing that kept me from getting one.  That and the $30,000 difference on the truck I did get.

02 Dodge 2500 quad cab with 48,000 miles(at the time) and a gooseneck ball already installed.  Of course it doesn't have power locks and I miss my remote.

Edited by Terri 2007-07-15 2:31 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-07-15 5:10 PM (#2032 - in reply to #2024)

I drive a 2006 F350 and several friends have the 2006 Duramaxs. They both do the towing job just fine. The Ford Crew Cab is slightly bigger inside.

In 2006-2007 you can get a 360HP duramax engine. Thats a little more ummph than the Ford 325hp.

I think the 2005-2007 Duramaxs are a little more "Chip Friendly" if you want to chip or program the engine for more power.  Ford is becoming quite Anti Chip in their warranty departments.

My sister just bought a 2008 Ford with the new engine/emmissions and it's working out just fine.

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-07-15 8:36 PM (#2033 - in reply to #2024)

My husband has always driven GMCs that he has purchased new. We're on our second crew cab. Lots of room in the back seat. Great for storage too when you lay the back seat down. Just bought an 07 GMC 3500 SLT crew cab, long bed, dually, 4x4 with a Duramax. It's EVERYTHING we need. We've never had any problems with any of the GMCs since buying our first in 1985.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-07-16 12:54 AM (#2034 - in reply to #2024)

Originally written by HorseTrainersHusband on 2007-07-14 9:44 PM

First off, i have an '02 Dodge quad cab 3500 dually Laramie package cummins, etc....  Love the truck, want to get something bigger interior wise, wouldn't mind getting a newer dodge, but they are not as roomy as the fords or chevy's.  How much you think my truck is worth??  It is power everything, heated leather seats, 4x2, bumper hith, gooseneck hitch, has only 36k miles on it.

Now, which of the the other two is better, i'm looking at 2005 and newer.

thanks

The Dodge Megacab...has the shortest bed...so depending on your trailer's nose will be a question you need to consider...

The twin turbo of Ford seems to be more complicated than the Duramax...without the requisite more power

I recommend the Duramax...

HorseTrainersHusband
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-16 9:34 AM (#2035 - in reply to #2024)

i'm thinking a ford is the way, my company participates in the ford partner recognition program (x-plan) and i'm also a previous ford buyer and a member of AQHA, so the incentives should be good on a new ford pickup.
Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-07-16 10:05 PM (#2036 - in reply to #2024)

I think you would be making a mistake buying the new ford..  All though the incentives may be good but whats it worth not having to take it back all the time for waruntee work???  Ford's engine has been re-modified and is going to have troubles..  Its a given..  I am a die hard Chevy fan but when Chevy switched to the duramax they had nothing but troubles..  I wouldn't have owned one then..  I bought an 06 4 door 4x4 2500hd..  Love it.. There is just as much room in the back as there is the front..  With my seat all the way back still have room for passengars back there..  If you read a comparison on all 3 you will see the chevy duramax leading the competition...  Plus the 6 speed allison automatic is going to get you 20mpg at 65mph..   Thats what mine gets..  Good luck!
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-07-17 5:33 AM (#2037 - in reply to #2024)

Originally written by HorseTrainersHusband on 2007-07-16 9:34 AM

i'm thinking a ford is the way, my company participates in the ford partner recognition program (x-plan) and i'm also a previous ford buyer and a member of AQHA, so the incentives should be good on a new ford pickup.

This makes the third time you have said you wanted to go get a Ford, go get one, there have been numerous suggestions that you not buy a new F-350 due to service issues. Sounds like you have made up your mind already. I would say the trade value on your truck will be less than $20K Somewhere in the $18.5-$20k range. Obviously different dealers have ways of doing simple math can make that look better or worse.

Edited by HWBar 2007-07-17 5:36 AM
jhavniear
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-07-17 8:25 AM (#2038 - in reply to #2024)

Dodge mega cab with flatbed.
HorseTrainersHusband
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-17 10:12 AM (#2039 - in reply to #2024)

its not that my mind is made up, just a simple fact that can save me some money. I do not want to get an '08 model, i have heard bad things about the regeneration cycle the engine goes through. I would prefer to get another dodge and get the megacab, but isn't that a much shorter bed??? Wouldn't i have to modify my gooseneck trailer with one of those extenders???
I wouldn't mind buying a chevy with the duramax/allison combo, great engine and tranny, but i don't want to pay 7-10,000 more for one either.

I am going to wait till show season is over, sell my truck privately and then go to the dealers with cash in hand and see what can be done.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-17 7:40 PM (#2040 - in reply to #2024)

If you buy a Ford, make sure you sign up for US Rider first! You'll need it!
calfroper1
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-18 2:02 AM (#2041 - in reply to #2024)

I have a brother that is a mechanic for a dealer that sells fords and dodges.He said he is really impressed with the new ford engine not near the problems like they had with the 6.0. He claims he has seen more problems with the dodge taking out injectors because of high line pressure to the injectors. I traded a 05 for the new 08 the truck rides  smoother the motor has more low end power than the 6.0 and all the talk about regen cycle is nothing to worry about.  I have about 35000 miles on mine right now and has not been into the shop yet. All the trucks out there are pretty comparable right now.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-18 7:46 AM (#2042 - in reply to #2024)

You mentioned that you didn't want a 2008 model because of the regeneration. Just in case you weren't aware, Dodge and GM also have particulate filters that go through regeneration on the 2007.5 models. Ford is the only one calling their new diesel engines 2008 models.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-07-18 1:31 PM (#2043 - in reply to #2024)

Coupons and incintive discounts don't matter.They sell ALL of them for invoice and below with out a  lot of haggle.
Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-07-18 2:07 PM (#2044 - in reply to #2024)

I'm going to be selling or trading in my 03 F250 crewcab soon. The only hold up is I can't decide whether I want a Dodge or a Chevy. I really like both of them. I am pulling a 4 horse steel trailer with 4' SW...trailer weight empty is about 6500lbs. My current F250 has a short bed and there is no problem with turning my gooseneck trailer...I can turn 90 degrees with no chance of hitting the cab so I'm "ASSUMING" that I would be okay with a short bed in a Dodge or a Chevy (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!). I will of course measure beds and such before I actually buy.

I will probably be buying a used truck in the 2003-2006 year range. Anybody have any suggestions on where I can find information on how much used Dodge or Chevy trucks can tow?

Sorry if I hijacked your post, HorseTrainersHusband.
HorseTrainersHusband
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-18 8:48 PM (#2045 - in reply to #2024)

no problem there.

I have heard that the 03 and up cummins will do 15,000 pounds no problem, same as the duramax in he chevy.  In the newest models, the chevy's duramax is looking to be top paired with the allison.  I wouldn't be getting rid of my 2002 dodge cummins except the cab is too small.  i have an almost 2 year old and it is becoming a pain to get her in and out in that extended cab truck.

If you want a dodge 3500 laramie quad cab dually let me know.  Its in great shape with only 36k miles.  power everything, cummins engine, auto tranny, 3:73 gear ratio.  Has no issues pulling my loaded exiss gooseneck, which is a 4-horse with 5' shortwall.  30' overall.

Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-07-18 9:22 PM (#2046 - in reply to #2024)

I have a 2006 2500HD 4 Door with the Shortest Bed you can get..  Never had a problem pulling a GN trailer..  I checked my mpg last night and was getting 19 mpg and that was quite a bit of city driving on that tank..  Couldn't hardly believe it.. My opinion is that when a company changes engines or transmissions its better to let someone else purchase and drive it for a few years..  Granted I seen someone with 35k miles on one, on a post above, already but how long is it going to go???  No one knows until the first guy reaches it..  He maybe looking for a new motor at 100k miles.. Thats why I waited on my Duramax..  They haven't made any major changes to the engine since they have come out.. They have only improved little things that has made them go from being on the bottom to the TOP! From what I read shouldn't have a problem getting 300k miles out of one with no major troubles..  Good luck..  I'll sell my 2006 4 door 4x4 26,000 miles for $34,900/obo....
Running Roan
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-09-24 12:08 PM (#2098 - in reply to #2024)

Roan On The Range

Some friends of mine bought a Dodge dually with the new Megacab. There is A LOT of room back there, which is nice because I have long legs, but is was really TOO much room. I'd rather have the extra bed space.

deeredriver_kev
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-26 10:14 PM (#2180 - in reply to #2024)

If you are in the market for a used truck, I would be very very cautious of the Ford 6.0L Diesel. There are a few out there that run well and are problem free, but I've seen more with rusty towhooks than I have out working. I live on a farm, and in a farming community, and I can tell you there are many 'Ford Farmers' that are looking for an alternate route with their 6.0L trucks. I think many of my friends worry if their check engine light is actually off or just burned out from always being illuminated.....
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)