Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
taking muffler off diesel truck.....
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-15 9:03 AM
30 replies, 9817 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-09 7:06 AM (#1250 - in reply to #1225)
Subject: RE: taking muffler off diesel truck.....

HWBar, I completely agree with your opinion on Cummins engines.  My diesel mechanic is a Cummins fan and has done a good job of opening my eyes to the benefits that Cummins has to offer.  He's pretty sharp for a youngster, I'm old enough to be his dad.  I've given serious consideration to purchasing a Dodge for our next replacement vehicle in the "work truck" catagory.  I'm not thrilled with the brakes, drivetrain and interior of Dodge trucks, but I do like the Cummins engine. Happy trails.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-14 9:47 AM (#1251 - in reply to #1225)

Check with your state laws first, most states require a muffler, if you are dead set on removing it then do it and learn for yourself if it is illeagle.One young feller in my area removed his and you could hear where he was along way off.Then one day he must have pissed off a stater cause he got about a fistfull of citations for all his handy work.So go ahead and take it off if it makes you happy forget about all the other people who would rather not hear it.Ya mite evev run it into the cab so you could really enjoy the extra noise YE HA!! damn that sounds good!!!! hu ? whats that? can't hear ya somethin must be wrong with my ears.If you need performance get a good exhaust that is legal and gives you the performance you are looking for.Don't make Me have to write ya up son.
Stymie
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-06-14 11:59 AM (#1252 - in reply to #1225)

It all depends on the verbage of the law in your particular state. Some laws are worded as such that the turbo would be considered a muffler. I took my muffler off a couple of weeks ago and it did lower my EGT's about 50 deg going down the road. My truck has a cat on it and I didn't even really notice a change  in the volume, just a little deeper at idle.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-14 2:42 PM (#1253 - in reply to #1225)

Yupperdoo on the state laws!!!Good thing about it even with the muffler off they are not real loud like a gas engine.I rebuilt one in My shop and fired er up just to make sure everything was ok and it had no muffler just the turbo and it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be.

Course thats a mighty small engine and dinky little turbo so it is no wonder it was not too voicetrouse!!!

Kinda like a 5.9 lawn mower engine or weed eater.Now you take a POWERSTROKE that is a loud one HA HA HE HE

Backin3
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-15 8:57 AM (#1254 - in reply to #1225)

When I bought my  '98 Dodge 3500 it had a straight pipe, no muffler.  I replaced the muffler and added a larger tailpipe, at the shop's suggestion.  I immediately noticed that the transmission no longer "searched" for gears in OD, a problem I was worried about.  The guy at the muffler shop said it had something to do with "back pressure" thru the exhaust system. 

Now, I'm FAR from being a mechanic, all I know is that my tranny does fine now and I DON'T miss the noise! ( I can actually HEAR the person in the passenger seat !) To each his own, but I prefer the muffler and conversation.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-15 9:03 AM (#1255 - in reply to #1225)

Not to mention the HORSES in the trailer get to enjoy a quieter ride.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)