Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
99 Ford F350 Super Duty Brakes
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-04 1:01 PM
3 replies, 5516 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Big Mac
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-01 7:37 PM (#2104)
Subject: 99 Ford F350 Super Duty Brakes

We just got back from Big South Fork (a lot of mountains) when we got home and pulled in to park the trailer we had no brakes. The peddle went completely to the floor.
I want to know if anyone else has experienced this after a long pull. Now my husband checked the brakes, no leaks and the mastercylinder was OK.
After the truck sat for a few minutes we had brakes again.
We took it to the shop and this is what they told us................
The shop said it could have had a vacuum by-pass and that it may never happen again. He told my husband that diesel engines work off of a different vacuum system than gas engines.

We don't like the odds on this and want to know if anyone out there has had this happen to them and if so how do we fix it.
We don't want to take a chance on the ODDS.....................
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-04 2:27 PM (#2110 - in reply to #2104)
Subject: RE: 99 Ford F350 Super Duty Brakes

I've pulled a lot in the mountains, with Fords, and have not had that happen. I don't blame you for not wanting to take chances with this.I think I'd talk to a different shop if the first shop can't really tell you what happened. The vacuum system is different for gas and diesel. The deisel doesn't naturally create much if any vacuum, and so they will have a vacuum pump. The vacuum is for the boost, or power brakes, so I'm thinking if that quit your pedal would get hard, or difficult to push, instead of going clear to the floor. That sounds more like master cylinder.
What I'm wondering is if your brakes got real hot if it could have actually boiled the fluid in the line some place- that could cause a soft pedal. And then when it cooled back down, the fluid turned back to liquid and then behaved normally. This is just a guess- you really do want to talk to someone who can figure out what happened. Good luck!
Big Mac
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-04 7:14 PM (#2113 - in reply to #2104)

You are right. My thoughts from the beginning were that something
had to be broken, not working, etc.

My husband called a Ford Dealership and it goes in the shop next week.
The service tech told him that there has to be something not working and when he took it by, they decided to install all new brakes, flush the fluid and mastercyclinder.

The thought of coming down a moutain and not having brakes makes me
sick to my stomach....................
foundation horse
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-04 1:01 PM (#2209 - in reply to #2104)

Semper Fi

Bump. I would appreciate any updates on this scenario.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)