Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Whats your favorite mod to your truck/rig?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-08 1:32 PM
43 replies, 12177 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 4:25 AM (#1828)
Subject: Whats your favorite mod to your truck/rig?

Just curious what everyones favorite/beneficial mod to their truck/rig was?

I upgraded all of my braking systems on my truck , digital controler, bigger vaccume booster & master cylinder and exhaust brake. Made a HUGE difference in stopping power. At some point I want to upgrade to slotted rotors to disapate heat.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-04-14 2:47 PM (#1829 - in reply to #1828)
Subject: RE: Whats your favorite mod to your truck/rig?

Definitely the exhaust brake. I'll never again drive an auto trans truck in the mountains without it.
osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 4:56 PM (#1830 - in reply to #1828)

Amen on the exhaust brake! It was by far the best mod. I don't hesitate in the mountains at all anymore even when I am hauling hay.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-14 7:58 PM (#1831 - in reply to #1828)

Air springs on the truck.
Dual purposing the loading light as automatic back-up lights (both trailers).
Rubber "Tractor lights", one on each side at the front of the goosie, to shine back at the trailer wheels when backing - also hooked to the back-up light circuit so they're automatic.

Electric over hydraulic brakes and air ride came stock on the goosie, the Chevvy HAS adequate brakes and I ALWAYS hesitate in the mountains, whether I'm hauling or not - 'cept maybe on the BIKE !
(-:

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 9:16 PM (#1832 - in reply to #1828)

Hesitate-meaning driving the speed limit. I have found that on my pick up, I wanted to upgrade the brakes somewhat for piece of mind. Sure your pick up may have pretty good brakes, but the upgrades out there made an amazing difference. I did the same thing on my Jeep Cherokee. Increasing stopping distances, less effort to stop and most of all increasing the safety of my vehicles.

Did you pigtail off of your back up lights to you trailer? Sounds like a good idea.

Edited by osue077 2007-04-14 9:22 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-14 10:00 PM (#1833 - in reply to #1828)

Originally written by osue077 on 2007-04-14 9:16 PM

Hesitate-meaning driving the speed limit. I have found that on my pick up, I wanted to upgrade the brakes somewhat for piece of mind. Sure your pick up may have pretty good brakes, but the upgrades out there made an amazing difference. I did the same thing on my Jeep Cherokee. Increasing stopping distances, less effort to stop and most of all increasing the safety of my vehicles.

Did you pigtail off of your back up lights to you trailer? Sounds like a good idea.

Given that my brakes are already better than the friction between the tires and road, I don't need any more. Getting oneself into situations that require repeated HARD braking isn't on my list, so more fade resistance isn't a requirement.

Yes, basically I tapped onto the truck's back-up wire, it is fused at 10 amps, so pulling 105 watts for 3 rubber tractor lights (same as my loading lights) isn't a problem. The loading light is a REAL attention getter when you HAVE TO back-up at night. Most car drivers just aren't used to a back-up light that high.
osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 10:13 PM (#1834 - in reply to #1828)

To eaches own I supose. Just not satisfied so why not improve?

As far as the back up lights, did you have to upgrade the fuse in the cab or under the hood to handle the increased wattage?
MrTruck
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-04-17 1:27 AM (#1835 - in reply to #1828)

I like my Turbo Wing. I can find my truck in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-04-17 7:38 PM (#1836 - in reply to #1828)

My best mod was buying a new truck and moving My motherinlaw out of state!!!
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-04-17 10:22 PM (#1837 - in reply to #1828)

Love the exhaust brake, but the truck came with that... Best mod is the camera system husband installed on the back of the trailer. I have back in between multiple obstacles, to park in very tight space in our yard. I find with the camera, I don't have to continually stop, get out, and look to make sure I am clearing a T post, tree, shed, or fence line.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-18 8:38 AM (#1838 - in reply to #1828)

Custom seats for my comfort on long trips and a huge (100+ gallon) auxillary fuel tank.

Edited by hav2ride 2007-04-18 8:39 AM
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-04-18 9:47 AM (#1839 - in reply to #1828)

slickernsnot.....it would work well with ex's too.....Believe me I've offered!!!!!!!!!! I told him to just name the state!He just won't take me up on it!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-18 7:27 PM (#1840 - in reply to #1828)

Originally written by osue077 on 2007-04-14 10:13 PM

To eaches own I supose. Just not satisfied so why not improve?

As far as the back up lights, did you have to upgrade the fuse in the cab or under the hood to handle the increased wattage?

It is more a matter of not needing any "improvement".
By definition anti lock brakes have the power to lock up on good dry pavement, prudent driving should keep you out of situations where you need repeated HARD braking - this is NECESSARY with horses on board.

Do the arithmetic on the back-up lights.
As I said, 105 watts on a 10 amp fuse at 14 volts - that won't blow.

Another minor but nice improvement I did was on the butterfly latch handles.
I didn't like the metal on metal and relatively loose feeling, so I cut some large diameter heat shrink tubing into about 2 inch lengths and heat shrunk it onto the latch bars.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-04-18 8:12 PM (#1841 - in reply to #1828)

Originally written by ISHOM on 2007-04-18 7:47 AM

slickernsnot.....it would work well with ex's too.....Believe me I've offered!!!!!!!!!! I told him to just name the state!He just won't take me up on it!

Some mods just don't work as well as others !

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-18 9:53 PM (#1842 - in reply to #1828)

Aluminum Truckbed...

http://www.hillsboroindustries.com/Products/AluminumTruckbeds.aspx

and removing the lien from the title...

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-04-19 12:21 AM (#1843 - in reply to #1828)

How about chipping your truck? I had not heard of that until recently, but it's supposed to give you lots more power and help improve gas mileage too... I might look into that.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-19 7:19 AM (#1844 - in reply to #1828)

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2007-04-18 9:53 PM

Aluminum Truckbed...

http://www.hillsboroindustries.com/Products/AluminumTruckbeds.aspx

and removing the lien from the title...

Very similar to what I have, from Lucky's in Royalton VT - your neck o' th' woods ?

re chips: I don't think the hossies like dragstrip starts, any more than nosedive braking.
OTOH if you want/need to impress teens on Main ST - and are willing to spend several hundred dollars to do it... well, your wallet, your tires, your ticket for exhibition driving.
rdm551
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 9:06 PM (#1845 - in reply to #1828)

What is the 'exhaust brakes' that some of you are referring to?  How expensive is it, and can it be done on any truck? 
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-20 12:25 AM (#1846 - in reply to #1828)

Originally written by Reg on 2007-04-19 8:19 AM

Very similar to what I have, from Lucky's in Royalton VT - your neck o' th' woods ? re chips: I don't think the hossies like dragstrip starts, any more than nosedive braking. OTOH if you want/need to impress teens on Main ST - and are willing to spend several hundred dollars to do it... well, your wallet, your tires, your ticket for exhibition driving.

I'm more Northwest...but they are just a trip down I89...and an excellent outfit...

The other thing to consider when changing chips is EXHAUST TEMPERATURES...most people who change their chips are also changing exhaust systems, et cetera...

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-20 3:39 AM (#1847 - in reply to #1828)

Hey Reg,

I guess I don't understand why you are trying to make a inconsiquential point to me regarding the improvements that I have made and plan to make. In my situation, where I live and where I drive, I made the decision to "upgrade" to a higher quality of part / system not only with my truck but also with my Jeep. This mainly because knowing that the equipment on these vehicles are not adequate (IMO) for what I use them for. I pull more than just a horse trailer and much heaver on grades approaching 10%. My decision to "upgrade" was to make better to handle any situation that I encounter. Futhermore, I thought that this thread would be a great way to pass on knowledge on what "improvements" are out there for people to explore, good, bad or otherwise. Not to scrutinize what I have done.

Edited by osue077 2007-04-20 3:50 AM
osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-20 5:48 AM (#1848 - in reply to #1828)

Originally written by rdm551 on 2007-04-19 8:06 PM

What is the 'exhaust brakes' that some of you are referring to?  How expensive is it, and can it be done on any truck? 

It is a device that is added to the exhaust on a diesel that restricts the flow of exhaust leaving the engine, slowing the engine down. Most are around 1000 bucks installed and if you haul in the hills, you will love it. It is like down shifting.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-20 7:21 PM (#1849 - in reply to #1828)

Brakesmart brake controller.  No more adjust, adjust, adjust for different driving situations.  It stops with the truck period.  It take a pressure reading from the brake master cylinder. No more jerky, jerky in slow traffic. The harder you mash on the brake pedal the more brakes the trailer has. Best money I ever spent.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-20 7:29 PM (#1850 - in reply to #1828)

Originally written by Spooler on 2007-04-20 7:21 PM

Brakesmart brake controller. No more adjust, adjust, adjust for different driving situations. It stops with the truck period. It take a pressure reading from the brake master cylinder. No more jerky, jerky in slow traffic. The harder you mash on the brake pedal the more brakes the trailer has. Best money I ever spent.

Are they (back) in production yet ?
I seem to have just missed them about 3 or 4 years ago, but I see ads every so often and when I contact them they say they'll be getting another batch made "real soon now". There have been other rumors that the design was bought/sold a few times and the new owners would be re-introducing it - new and improved (-:
I'd still like to follow up on it - or put a pressure trandux in my master cylinder and breadboard something of my own - - Like there's still a Radio Shack within 50 miles of here ? NO !

Rick
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-04-20 9:20 PM (#1851 - in reply to #1828)

Reference the exhaust brake. This can be put on an automatic?? and do you have the dealer do it or can I find it done someplace cheaper??? I don't drive in mountains much but hills in and out of my home it would be nice.

Around $1000??????
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-04-20 9:55 PM (#1852 - in reply to #1828)

Yes, it can go on an automatic. You can have them put on by third party shops, you don't need to have the dealer do it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)