Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ball height on truck
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-22 12:41 PM
4 replies, 5177 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

pberni1
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-20 7:33 PM (#1997)
Subject: Ball height on truck

I have a question about optimal ball height for my trailer.  I recently bought a 2h bp and the manufacturer recommended an 18" ball height on the truck + or - 1/2".  I added a hitch to my truck, and the ball sits at 17 1/4" - a tad bit lower than the 18" + or - 1/2".  How much difference does 1/4" make?  If I can find a new "pin" (or whatever the bar is called that the ball is attached to) with more rise in it, I would like to be within the 1" reccommendation - but if I can't find exactly what I need, is it better to be slightly lower than the recommended as I am, or slightly higher than reccommended?  THANKS!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-06-20 8:51 PM (#1998 - in reply to #1997)
Subject: RE: Ball height on truck

I believe you can get a ball with a longer shank and put a washer under the ball base on top of the hitch stem to get a little more rise without getting really complicated.......just a thought.  Make sure the ball has a shank that just fits the hole as you do not want any sideways movement, and the ball is weight rated for all the load the trailer & horses etc might have........
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-06-21 7:57 AM (#1999 - in reply to #1997)

It's not a big difference, I would not worry about it. Rarely is your truck / trailer combo level once on the road anyway. FYI there should be nothing between the base of the ball and the " tongue". Rich
gabz
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-06-21 2:23 PM (#2000 - in reply to #1997)

The reason the manufacturer provides the optimum height is so that when your trailer is LOADED, it will ride equally on both axles and place the correct amount of weight on the tongue.

If, when you load the truck and trailer, the trailer is not level, you will experience very poor driving and poor fuel mileage. Many times, when a BP is attached correctly to the tow vehicle, it will appear to be at a slight angle until the horse(s) are loaded. Additionally, loading the bed of the pickup - if that is the tow vehicle, with a few thousand pounds and towing the trailer with 2 horses & "stuff" - could cause the jack wheel, weight distribution hitch, and /or chains to drag and potentially CATCH on uneven ground - WORSE YET - to catch on railroad rails at a RR crossing.

The only way you will be assured of the correct height, is to load everything up, put a level on the fender of the trailer, bed/ top of tailgate of the truck, and /or A-frame of the trailer to see if the entire setup is level.

Good Luck - hope this helps.

Edited by gabz 2007-06-21 2:25 PM
pberni1
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-22 12:41 PM (#2001 - in reply to #1997)

Thanks for the input, folks.  I called a couple of trailer places around here and the opinion I got the most was too high is better than too low.  I ended up buying a new "tongue" and they put my old ball on it - my ball now sits just a gnat's hair under 18.5" from the ground - I'm not sure if I will be able to tell any difference or not, but I do feel better knowing I am not outside of specs.  I figured the money was well spent for the peace of mind.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)