Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck bed height?
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-07-04 10:54 PM
4 replies, 5667 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-07-04 8:37 AM (#2019)
Subject: Truck bed height?

I am looking to trade my Dodge diesel 2500 for a Dodge 3500 dually. Found one I like but when hooked to my gooseneck LQ there was hardly any clearance between the trailer and truck bed sides. There is quite a difference between the old truck and the new one, maybe 6" to 8" taller on the new one. What would be the floor of the bulkhead bed area is only 4" or 5" above the truck. If I raised the trailer in the front I think it would really put it at quite an angle. The trailer is a Bison.

Has anyone else run into this problem and what did you do?

j&j

Edited by j&j 2007-07-04 8:39 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-07-04 9:27 AM (#2020 - in reply to #2019)
Subject: RE: Truck bed height?

I had the same problem just a tad different, I had a 2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 dually. I pulled a 14' shortwall LQ trailer(very heavy) with. I sold the LQ trailer and bought a 6' shortwall dressing room(very light). That's where the problem came in, the LQ trailer was heavy enough to make the truck "squat" and remain useable, the dressing room trailer was not. I looked into lowering the truck $2500 was what I was quoted to get it down 3" in the rear(converting the leaf spring to air bags). I decided to buy a GMC the GMC is 5" lower at the tailgate than the Dodge was. So far so good, GMC has comparable power and much better ride, interior than the Dodge. The Dodge was a much better looking truck than the GMC, but I got over that pretty quick. 

I have also started noticing alot of Dodges with dings, dents in tailgates and bed sides, mine had both. People are trying to use them.

Edited by HWBar 2007-07-04 9:30 AM
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-07-04 2:08 PM (#2021 - in reply to #2019)

Wish I'd read this post before I responded to your other one. I also have a Dodge (4X4) that was too high for my older trailer. I got Dodge to lower the truck with a "kit" they had. They did it free! I don't know if they're still doing that, but check it out. Then, the trailer/truck combo was still mismatched, so I had the trailer raised using blocks. The combination of those two fixes made my trailer ride nearly level, with plenty of room for bumps, RR xings, etc. I could have done the whole thing by raising the trailer, but then my step-up would have been HUGE.
Poppa Cracker
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-04 4:53 PM (#2022 - in reply to #2019)

Swapped my pretty bed for a not so handsome flatbed, which was much more functional, for a total of about $1500.00. Kept my pretty bed for the day I trade and I will put it back on and it will fetch a good bit more looking new and I will put my flatbed on my next truck to use and abuse it thru another truck of my choice. Much cheaper than trading trucks or buying expensive "kits"
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-07-04 10:54 PM (#2023 - in reply to #2019)

This is Fancy Aluminum Deck solution...$4500 installed...

http://www.hillsboroindustries.com/Products/AluminumTruckbeds.aspx

Here's a cheaper solution...

http://www.bradfordbuilt.com/

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'