Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Manual locking hubs - incredibly dumb question!!
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-17 3:22 AM
4 replies, 5222 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

DrivinMeBuggy
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-08 11:33 AM (#2128)
Subject: Manual locking hubs - incredibly dumb question!!

...or, at least, you'd think it was a dumb question were it not for the fact that the last three Ford salesmen I have asked about them haven't had a good answer!

If your truck has manual locking hubs does that mean that you have to get out of the truck to engage them every time you want to go from 2-wheel to 4-wheel drive? It's such a dumb thing to have to do (I'm imagining horizontal rain...or ankle deep mud...or all the other fun things that make us wish we were in 4-wheel drive). If this is the case, why on earth do so many people seem to select it as an option on their 4 x 4 Ford trucks?!

Yours, most perplexed....
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-08 1:07 PM (#2129 - in reply to #2128)
Subject: RE: Manual locking hubs - incredibly dumb question!!

You do have to manually lock in your hubs to be able to select four wheel drive. When the hubs are locked in, you can typically select 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive high range(highway gearing), or 4 wheel drive low range(off road gearing). What I do is try to plan ahead, and go ahead and lock my hubs in ahead of time, and then drive in two wheel drive until the 4 wheel drive is needed. It does not hurt your equipment to do this, although driving with your hubs locked in will decrease your fuel mileage slightly. 

The reason I have manual hubs rather than electric, or shift on the fly, is the electric hubs can malfunction. When they do, they usually won't engage. When I need 4 wheel drive, I need 4 wheel drive. To me, the inconvenience of getting out of the truck to lock in the hubs is outweighed by the possibility that I may not be able to lock the hubs in at all! 

Bill

DrivinMeBuggy
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-08 2:19 PM (#2130 - in reply to #2129)

Alright! Thanks Bill. So it's not really such a dumb thing because you do no harm (other than slightly, to your wallet) by having the hubs locked but running along in 2-wheel drive?

Could I, then, lock them at the beginning of our Frozen North winter and not unloack them again until spring? Or would having them locked all that time actually start to do damage?

Thanks for coming to my aid and education!
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-08 2:59 PM (#2131 - in reply to #2128)

You could do that, although you might start seeing more wear on your front drive parts and tires if you leave your hubs locked all winter. I'm in Colorado, so I have an idea of what you're talking about. I left mine locked in for about 6 weeks last winter because of all the snow we were getting. I put 50 or 60 miles a day on my truck. That's about the longest at one stretch I've left mine locked in. The other thing I do is I try not to have my 4 wheel drive engaged on dry pavement.
Good luck!

Bill
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-17 3:22 AM (#2138 - in reply to #2128)

DrivinMeBuggy - 2007-10-08 12:33 PM ...or, at least, you'd think it was a dumb question were it not for the fact that the last three Ford salesmen I have asked about them haven't had a good answer!

If your truck has manual locking hubs does that mean that you have to get out of the truck to engage them every time you want to go from 2-wheel to 4-wheel drive? It's such a dumb thing to have to do (I'm imagining horizontal rain...or ankle deep mud...or all the other fun things that make us wish we were in 4-wheel drive). If this is the case, why on earth do so many people seem to select it as an option on their 4 x 4 Ford trucks?!

Yours, most perplexed....

Manual locking hubs are the only way to go, if you are dealing with SAND...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)