Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck tire pressure, towing and non-towing driving
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-13 1:26 AM
6 replies, 22253 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

ncsuacd
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-05 9:32 PM (#2212)
Subject: Truck tire pressure, towing and non-towing driving

For what its worth, this is for a GMC 2500HD, Duramax. But I don't think that matters as much as the door sticker readings included below....

Ok.....
All measurements below are "cold" readings, ie the truck has been sitting for at least three hours.

The door sticker in my new truck for tire pressure says:

Front: 60 psi
Rear: 72 psi

The dealer had them set at:
Front: 55 psi
Rear: 62 psi

I think their reasoning is that when you drive it it "feels" better with less air in the tires .

Now, I am not willing to go below the minimum pressures (per my door sticker).

My tires themselves are rated max 85 psi.

What psi should I be running them at normally?

What psi should I be running them at for towing?

My father seems to think (and he is pretty smart) that I should run them at:
Front: 70 psi
Rear: 75 psi
For towing, and non-towing driving.... he also thinks I should ask here.... :)

What do you guys think???

Edited by ncsuacd 2008-01-05 9:33 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeepplr
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-06 1:57 AM (#2214 - in reply to #2212)
Subject: RE: Truck tire pressure, towing and non-towing driving

It depends. Run max pressure if towing a heavy trailer. If you are not pulling a heavy trailer run the pressure that is most comfortable for you.
I have a 4 horse with 10' LQ that I pull with a 2500HD so I run max for my tire, 85psi. Empty the truck rides poorly at that pressure but needs the pressure to tow that load. Over time watch the wear pattern on your tires, lots of wear in the middle is too much pressure, lots of wear on the sides too little pressure, even wear is just right. If I am not going to tow but will be driving my tow rig I run 50 front and rear. My tires are Goodyear Silent Armor 265/75/16 load range E.
Hope that helps. All else fails to to a tire dealer that sells the brand tire you have and ask the manager.
ncsuacd
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-07 7:51 PM (#2215 - in reply to #2214)

So if you are driving, but not towing, you run your truck tires at well below the door sticker?

But if you are driving and towing you run them at the sidewall numbers?

My door sticker says 60 front, and 72 rear

It doesn't differentiate towing....
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-09 10:45 AM (#2216 - in reply to #2212)

I would use the numbers on the sidewall of the tire itself rather than the door numbers. Those numbers will also tell you the maximum load for each tire. I'd start with max pressure when you're towing, and then if you are also doing quite a bit of driving without a trailer, I'd probably drop the rear tire pressure to 45 to 55 psi when not hooked to a trailer or carrying a load. I leave my front tires pretty close to the max on the sidewall as long as the wear pattern looks good, because hooking to a gooseneck does not change your front axle weight nearly as much as it changes your rear axle weight. Your diesel engine keeps the front of your pickup loaded pretty heavy all the time. Like the poster above said, watch the wear pattern on your tires- that will tell you a lot. In the summer though, and when you are doing long hauls, I'd sure keep my tires up close to the max pressure. The more the sidewalls flex, the more they build heat when you're going down the road, and too much heat will do your tires in.
Hopefully I haven't confused the issue!

Bill
Jeepplr
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-11 2:06 AM (#2218 - in reply to #2215)

ncsuacd - 2008-01-07 7:51 PM

So if you are driving, but not towing, you run your truck tires at well below the door sticker?

But if you are driving and towing you run them at the sidewall numbers?

My door sticker says 60 front, and 72 rear

It doesn't differentiate towing....

Yes, I keep the pressure lower on my truck when I am not towing to help with the ride. I just had the trucks oil changed yesterday and lowered the pressuer to 50/50, once I hook up the trailer I will go to the max printed ON THE TIRE, forget what the door says unless you have the exact tire the truck came from the factory with. I always go with what the tire has printed on it, even for the few months I have stock tires on my truck.
ncsuacd
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-12 1:15 PM (#2219 - in reply to #2212)

And the trailer/hitch guys told me that the door sticker WAS the towing tire rating.... Geez....

Thanks for the advice guys! Without you all, I would be lost in all of this!!
Jeepplr
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-13 1:26 AM (#2220 - in reply to #2219)

ncsuacd - 2008-01-12 1:15 PM

And the trailer/hitch guys told me that the door sticker WAS the towing tire rating.... Geez....

Thanks for the advice guys! Without you all, I would be lost in all of this!!

The door sticker is only valid for the tire the truck came from the manufacture with. If the tires have been changed to a different brand, size or weight rating then go with the tire.
In either case what is on the tire is the max that tire can be inflated and at that pressure there is a max weight it can carry.
Personally, I trust the info printed ON the tire over that printed by the trucks manufacturer.
If you are still confused go to a tire dealer that sells the brand of tire you have. If you have Goodyears don't ask Firestone, they may not tell the truth, they want to sell tires, just like don't ask a Ford salesman what your GM truck can pull.
I play with Jeeps, one of my Jeeps tires at max pressure 50psi can carry the entire Jeep. On the road I run the Jeeps tires at 20-30 psi. On the trail I run ZERO-10 psi depending on what I am doing.
When I drive the big truck empty I take the pressure down so the ride is tolerable that right now is 50psi but if I take it for a long road trip I may take it down to 40 to help smooth out the pot holes. When I tow I take it to the max on the tires sidewall, I think it is 80 or 85psi.
If you are in warm weather 70 or warmer you can eyeball tires somewhat. Take the tire to near max pressure and deflate till all of the tread is on the ground and there is a slight buldge in the sidewall. If there is a buldge at max then take it down till all the tread is on the ground. This is just a way to estimate if there is enough air in a tire. The buldge is what will give you a cushion and a better ride.
Take air out for ride put max pressure in for towing.

Edited by Jeepplr 2008-01-13 1:30 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)