Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
CDL Confusion
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-12-12 8:57 PM
6 replies, 8432 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

SG.
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-10-17 9:54 PM (#2139)
Subject: CDL Confusion

Fuddy Duddy

Okay help me out here lol
Friend got stopped today and was told that if she weighed more than 10001# she had to have CDL no ifs and or buts

I am Confused lol on these definitions

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

FOR THE PURPOSES OF COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE (CDL)

Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) - a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle -

1. has a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs.
  2. has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more or 

How do these regulations and terms apply to horse trailers?

1. If you are driving a vehicle or combinations of vehicles under 10,001 lbs. GVWR or GCVWR, you don't have to be concerned with the FMCSR's or a commercial driver's license (CDL). You must, however, follow the safety equipment requirements and driver's license requirements of your own state.
  2. If you are driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles interstate 10,001 to 26,000 pounds GVWR, you must decide if you are commercial and subject to FMCSR. You do not need a commercial driver's license (CDL), although your home state may have an additional classification of driver's license. (The initial decision is up to the owner whether or not he/she is pursuing a hobby or is involved in interstate commerce and he/she bears the burden of proof. If you only travel within your state, you may follow the state definitions of commercial, but if you plan to travel into other states and your vehicle or combination is 10,001 lbs or more, the official recommendation from Federal Authorities is that you follow FMCSR's)
  3. If you are driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles intrastate 10,001 to 26,000 lbs GVWR, you must follow your home state requirements if they differ from the Federal requirements.
  4. If you are driving a vehicle or combinations of vehicles 26,001 lbs. GVWR or more interstate you must have a commercial driver's license (CDL) and you must follow FMCSR.
  5. If you are driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles 26,001 lbs. GVWR or more intrastate, you must follow your state guidelines for commercial licensing (CDL), and FMCSR requirements.

Can someone please put this into simple terms for me? LOL
SHE got a BIG OLE TICKET and she has a Dodge Dually and pulls a 3 horse Trailer with a 8ft LQ
Definitely NOT a HUGE TRAILER

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
spiff07
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-10-18 9:18 AM (#2140 - in reply to #2139)
Subject: RE: CDL Confusion

Bling Queen

Please someone put this in English!!!!!     We just got a GMC 4500 and pull a 4 horse trailer w/ 10 1/2 ft. living quarter.....do I need a freakin CDL???? 
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-18 12:57 PM (#2141 - in reply to #2139)

You might. If the GVWR on you truck and on your trailer adds up to 26,001 lbs or over, you will. That info is on a sticker usually inside the driver's door post, and on the plate with the VIN# on you trailer. There are a couple of exceptions, but basically that is the rule.

Bill
cowboyscash
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-10-20 10:07 PM (#2142 - in reply to #2139)

In nevada with a class C you can tow up to 10000 pounds.You have to have a
endorsement to tow over 10000 but less than 26000lb so you are not commercial

Dash4kj
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-10-22 2:39 PM (#2143 - in reply to #2139)

Blond Bombshell..

What needs to be done to get a license? Im getting a mini freight and have a 19ft short wall 4h trailer.. Do i need a class C or B? Can i just go take the test? How do i know which test to take?

BlackPearl03
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-29 9:04 PM (#2184 - in reply to #2143)

Well, one way to get around the CDL bull shit, atleast if you live in Texas. IS to just register your trailer as a farm trailer. that will exempt you from a lot of rules and regulations. Same thing with any flatbed trailers you have. All of ours are registered that way, never had any problems. Not even crossing state lines. i pull a featherlite 3horse, 10ft shortwall, 8ft wide and am not bothered. Also a 40ft dovetail.
easternshoreduramax
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-12 8:57 PM (#2195 - in reply to #2139)

I have a friend who had a Freightliner FL60 for towing his 5th wheel. He asked a qualified individual about this and he said that as long as the vehicle was used for personal and not commercial use, that he didn't need a CDL. There a alot of these vehicles that have decals that say "Private Coach Not For Hire" for this reason.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)