Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying Truck to Pull Trailer - Help Needed
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-24 11:52 AM
27 replies, 10866 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

totaleclipse
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-24 7:44 PM (#1738)
Subject: Buying Truck to Pull Trailer - Help Needed

Hi.  We are contemplating purchasing an '07 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Heavy Half.   We will be hauling a Sundowner GN all aluminum 3-H with 6' LQ (generally hauling only two Arabs).  I am finding all the computations for whether or not this truck can handle the load a bit overwhelming, so perhaps someone can enlighten me?  The Tundra specs are:  GVW 7,100 lbs with a towing capacity of 10,300 lbs.  The trailer has a GVWR of 15,210 lbs (those are the best specs I can come up with).  We live on the Prairies and mostly drive on fairly flat terrain.  It seems that my research suggests that because the trailer is a GN, the truck can handle pulling alot more weight than if it were a BP.  Is this correct?  Thanks for any help you can provide.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-24 8:26 PM (#1739 - in reply to #1738)
Subject: RE: Buying Truck to Pull Trailer - Help Needed

With the price of the BIG three diesels compared to Toyota and being a GOOD U.S. citizen Toyota bigger then a 1500 and smaller then a 2500 would not even be in shopping criteria.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-03-24 8:35 PM (#1740 - in reply to #1738)

Amen folks!!

My 2'C's...Steve

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-03-24 8:42 PM (#1741 - in reply to #1738)

a sundowner 3h 6' lq is not a real small trailer.. one thing to consider is its not just hauling the two horses,its all the other crap that goes along and it really adds up alot of weight.. extra water,hay,saddles,(all tack).. depending what you are going to use it for if camping all the camping gear etc,,, and what ever you are going to put in lq.are refrig etc.. i would really research this before buying... happy trails
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-25 1:19 AM (#1742 - in reply to #1738)

Your also going to have to know the rear axle weight rating and Gross Combined Vehcile Weight Rating(GCVWR). Sundowners are not noted for being a light trailer.  They are HEAVY!!! For as much as they want for that truck (CRAZY HIGH Price) you could get a 2500 Diesel that would pull that trailer like a dream for much cheaper. Don't listen to all that hipe they give that truck. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-25 3:36 AM (#1743 - in reply to #1738)

The Toyo PEAK TORQUE is like at 5200 RPM.That is screaming.Most gas burners are that way.Get you a LEFTOVER 07 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins  auto.Some GREAT deals on them right now.
totaleclipse
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-25 8:39 AM (#1744 - in reply to #1738)

Thanks for the input.  As to the price comparison of the Big 3 and Toyota, I live in Canada and perhaps the levies on imports is not quite as high here.  One of the things we were surprised about when shopping around, was that the Toyota priced out very well against the 2500 HD's (and they have totally up-graded the '07 Tundra).  We actually do favour a Chevy 2500HD Diesel 4x4, but new ones in these parts are very pricey, and 2nd hand ones are somewhat scarce. 

But on that note, I guess what you are saying is the a 2500 HD Diesel would do the trick with this trailer?  Also, the Sundowner is a 727 - which is the all-aluminum frame (much lighter weight) than their standard aluminum trailer.  We did pull it about 3 times last year with our Chevy Heavy Half 4x4, and it pulled really well (two horses only).  We generally travel about 3 hours from home (pretty well on the flat) for endurance racing and competitive trail rides. 

Thanks again!

ridinhigh
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-25 8:45 AM (#1745 - in reply to #1738)

Originally written by totaleclipse on 2007-03-25 8:39 AM

Also, the Sundowner is a 727 - which is the all-aluminum frame (much lighter weight) than their standard aluminum trailer. 

Better get that manual out.

Edited by ridinhigh 2007-03-25 8:46 AM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-25 8:48 AM (#1746 - in reply to #1738)

The NEW UPDATED Toyo does NOT have a 2500 rear axel.Its heavier then a 1500 but NOT a 2500.It does not have full floating rear bearings etc.Plus its still a GAS burner which don't tow or as  nice.Unless the Toyo priced out several thousands less then a 2500 diesel it still would not be on list of tow vehicles for a LQ trailer.
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-25 10:47 AM (#1747 - in reply to #1738)

I wish I could offer you more detail - I think you're going to be fine with the weight, especially since you've previously used a heavy duty 1/2 ton in the past.  The new Tundra is a very solid beast, especialy for a "1/2" ton.  I saw one comment about max torque being very high in the RPM range... probably true, but I've also read that a majority of the torque is available at much lower rpms's, and of course you would have the 6 speed tranny with the 5.7.  There are several comparison tests out there and the Toyota does real well in it's class - there are some videos on the Tundra website that show "sanctioned" comparisons between all the 1/2 tons pulling 6000 lbs - of course the Toyota pulls the pants off of all of them - if it didn't I doubt the video would be on the site... LOL.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/tundraexperience/index.html#

(Correction - the tests shows them all pulling 8500lbs) Click on "Straight Info" to see the videos. 

With all that said - I do agree with some of the other comments - you can easily buy a very loaded Dodge 2500 diesel for as much or less than a loaded Double Cab or Crew Max Tundra (at least here in CT).  It's really up to you and what you want.  I think this is a good time to be buying a truck - there are so many good ones out there.

Good Luck!

Steve

Edited by SHMANN 2007-03-25 10:53 AM
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-25 10:57 AM (#1748 - in reply to #1738)

Hey Hounddog - take a look at their specs - it's 401 ft. lbs. at 3600rpm.  Quite a bit of torque is available lower in the RPM band too.  It is a nice setup for towing.

Steve

PTRJason
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-25 12:29 PM (#1749 - in reply to #1738)

Buy a Ford F-250/350/450 Diesel :D  Sorry I am a Ford guy, and after all they are either made in Canada or USA.  If you have the funds, they new 08 Fords are out and they are pretty nice looking.  But Ford hold up pretty good.

Maybe think about a Dodge too.  At my work (law enforcement) we run 2-2004 Dodge Rams (Gas) one 1500 and one 2500, and 2-2006 Dodge Ram 1500s.  All crew cab, 4x4s.  The trucks spend 97% of their time on patrol doing 5-10MPH and the 2004s both have more than 130,000 miles on them and still run pretty good, ok they run okay, but we also beat the you know what out of them.  99% of our patrol is dirt washboard, rutted roads, some of it 4x4 only, and they hold up.  I know its not towing, but you also need a truck that can last so just giving some input.

I would look into the Dodge 2500 Cummins (SP) 06 or 07.

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-03-25 4:53 PM (#1750 - in reply to #1738)

Wow...

Am I the only one who generally considers that their trailer gross capacity has to be less than the towing limit of their vehicle? Maybe I'm guilty of always wanting to be "overtrucked"...

Speaking from opinion only, I'd be looking at one ton trucks to pull that kind of a load.

LAXPatrick
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-25 9:43 PM (#1751 - in reply to #1738)

I wouldn't recommend the Ford 6.4 diesel.  You may get the new flame thrower option. They have a recall for it right now.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/21/news/companies/ford_recall.reut/

Video of one of the new trucks with the problem. Hope for fords sake they figure it out before some gets hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=321LwkM7i90

Edited by Spooler 2007-03-25 9:50 PM
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-26 8:27 AM (#1752 - in reply to #1738)

"" better get that manual out""  I think the 720 is the all aluminum model of Sundowner--NOT the 727.  Please ckeck this out.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-26 9:53 AM (#1753 - in reply to #1738)

PTRJason, my Ford diesel was made in Mexico...sorry to burst your bubble.
PTRJason
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-27 1:42 AM (#1754 - in reply to #1738)

Originally written by huntseat on 2007-03-26 7:53 AM

PTRJason, my Ford diesel was made in Mexico...sorry to burst your bubble.

I forgot some Ford trucks are made in Mexico also.  I have a Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor made in Mexico, and with 260K miles on it.

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-03-27 6:16 AM (#1755 - in reply to #1738)

No one has mentioned the pin weight of the trailer yet, and I consider that to be a big factor. Usually aprox 17% -25% of trailer weight. What is the cargo capacity of the truck? Not only pin weight, but you have to add up everything going in truck; hay, feed, firewood, tack,ect.

Don't know the specs on the Tundra, but suspect any 1/2 would not be rated for the load you plan on dropping into the bed. 

I'm a big Toyota fan, but I pull with Ford F350 7.3l PSD

totaleclipse
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-27 6:22 AM (#1756 - in reply to #1738)

Yah, I got the Sundowner numbers mixed - we do have the all-aluminum model.  Also, we are now leaning towards an F250 7.3L SuperDuty Powerstroke Diesel.    Have finally been able to find some good sites that actually list the cvgwr, etc.  The best seem to list the towing capacity, differentiating between a tag trailer and a 5th wheel. 

Also noticed info that suggests the re-worked Ford 2000 and up models 6.3L (?) wasn't the greatest engine and had some recalls/problems, so the '99 seems more promising.

Any suggestions as to what we should look out for in a used truck that has been towing (by a farmer)?

Thanks for all your input.  It's been great!

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-03-27 9:15 AM (#1757 - in reply to #1738)

Ford PSD were 7.3l until 2004, then they went to 6.0l. had some problems early on but seem to work them out by 2006. Now they have changed again in 2008 to a 6.4l twin turbo. I think they had to for EPA.

As far as what to look for.... all the usual stuff. Maint is critical on diesel, so ask about previous owners maint habits/records. Check turbo for dusting, there was problem with stock air cleaner box leaking a couple of years.I'd take some test strips with me and check SCA levels. It would be great if you could get him to give you an oil sample to send in to lab, that would tell you volumes about the engine.

Read this site, I think he has list of things to ck before buying.  

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_import/pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/index3.html

bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-03-28 12:44 PM (#1758 - in reply to #1738)

Maybe there is a BIG reason that used diesel 4x4's are so scarce!!!

KSHORT
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 8:26 AM (#1759 - in reply to #1738)

KEEP LEANING TOWARDS THAT DIESEL ANY DIESEL NOT HALF-TON. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GO UP A HILL SOMEDAY. THE 7.3 IF IT HAS AUTO TRANS. IS NOT GOING TO BE AS FAST AS 6.0 WITH 5 SPEED OR DURAMAX/ALLISION, BUT IF YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT 1/2 TON SPEED AND POWER IS PROBABLY NOT TOP PRIORITY.
Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 12:26 PM (#1760 - in reply to #1738)

I've never been happier w/ my duramax and allison. I think i have quite a bit more truck than you'll need but, I think that's much better to have too much than too little.

Also I'm SCARED to buy the first model year of anything. That's the reason I got the 07 Classic GMC Sierra Crew Cab Dually. I only put about 10k on it; Exiss 310 Event... Living quarters status = lived and three horse slant full with three horses in it. The trailer in itself is enough to make me feel initimated; the truck makes up for it.
I think a 2500 would do that trailer fine. I would for SURE get a diesel. i wasnt at first real excited about the diesel option but, it's what i got. I can't tell you how happy I am with it. This thing is a 7500 pound hot rod. It's a blast to drive; and easy to manuever.
I had a 5.3 1500 sierra that i traded on my dually. I think the stress alone of going somewhere with not enough truck or safety justifies the price tag. Another note; although it is a hefty performer (the toyota) the same load on two trucks the diesel will out pull it and absolutely leave it on a hill. I didn't beleive either but; now i'm a believer! LOL. It'll also get better mileage while pulling and alot of the time get better mileage empty w/ a diesel than gas.

Rick
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-03-31 8:06 PM (#1761 - in reply to #1738)

IMO anyone who pulls a gooseneck LQ trailer with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck with a long box/wheelbase is crazy.

Had a 97 F250PSD traded up to 06 F-350 dually and man all these years of pulling my 3 horse LQ I now realize I was under trucked, I still believe that I am safer now but a f-450 is not out of the question if stopping became and issue. Yah anything can pull a trailer on flat ground and move down the road but try stopping quickly???????

Good luck
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-04-01 9:02 AM (#1762 - in reply to #1738)

Can someone speak to this? I have always heard that you don't want to let diesels sit around much. My truck is at the barn for use for hauling and it sits a lot of the time. Is that true, and if so, does that change the advice of getting a diesel to haul with? Hoping to trade in within next year or so but would a gas engine be better in this case? Thanks.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)