Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Newbie...Truck and Trailer ?'s
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-20 11:32 AM
9 replies, 5515 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ash
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-16 1:48 PM (#1083)
Subject: Newbie...Truck and Trailer ?'s

Here's some info on the truck: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Ext. cab, short bed, with the 5.9L. This is my first full sized truck, I bought it used 8 months ago with 57,000 original miles on it, it has a little over 66,000 on it now.

Now i've been thinking that I would prefer a Gooseneck trailer as it puts less strain on the truck, or so i've heard. Is there any truth to this? I also want a stock/combo, any recommendations on size and/or weight? I understand that since my baby's only a 1500 she cant pull as much as easily as the larger trucks out there; is there a need to upgrade anything on the truck itself to help it tow? Cooling system?

TIA, Ashley

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-17 10:22 AM (#1084 - in reply to #1083)
Subject: RE: Newbie...Truck and Trailer ?'s

Hello Ash .. Welcome to the forum... We're not ignoring your ??

Your question has been asked many times.. I can't begin to cover all the angles that have been discussed.  Use the search button to find some of the past discussions.

You will at least have to decide BP or GN for your needs.  There is no best for everybody.  The GN is a lot more stable towing.  But they weigh more.  It doesn't make it easier on the truck. 

From your use, it looks llike you use your truck as a daily driver.  A bigger truck will use a lot of fuel but is needed for a large trailer.  There is just no alternative.  So you have to chose starting from the smaller two horse trailers.  Your limit will be the truck's hitch weight capacity and CGVWR.  Try to stay well within it's max ratings.   A 14foot LQ,  4 horse trailer is too much for your truck.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-18 4:37 PM (#1085 - in reply to #1083)

Agreed you'll have to chose between a truck for pulling and something for daily use. While a 1/2 ton can pull some smaller GN, I'd want at least a 3/4. Right now, you'd probably do well with a BP set up. If you can afford to replace your truck, go with a 3/4 for a GN.
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 7:30 AM (#1086 - in reply to #1083)

Hey Ash,

Sorry but I agree with them also. I did have a 1500 truck and pulled a 4 horse gooseneck with it, and it did fine, but I think If I would have continued it would have shortened the life of my truck. I wanted to let you know though that if your still want the more comfortable ride of a 1/2 ton and the pulling performance of a 3/4 ton try a 1500 HD. that's what I have now and I Love It. When I am driving around town I don't have the stiff suspension of a 3/4 ton truck but when I am pulling I have the same amount of power as one. Plus it comes factory with the transmission cooler(very important when towing.)

I was also told(don't know if it is true) that when you have a 4X4 you loose some of your towing ability. Might want to look into that also. Good Luck!!

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 9:15 AM (#1087 - in reply to #1083)

Ash - you need to remember that a 1/2 ton pickup is built on a car frame. That is why you get a more comfortable car-like ride. They are great vehicles for lots of things. But they don't pull much. A 3/4 ton is built on a truck frame. Heavier frame, bigger tires, stronger transmission, stronger suspension. If a 3/4 t also has a towing package, it'll be beefed up for towing. It's not just the literal frame and engine. The tranny, coooling system, tires etc. are heavier.

That being said, a 1/2 ton can handle a 2 horse bumper pull in most cases. You didn't say how many horses you plan to haul. A 1/2 ton will pull a 4 horse trailer. However, you'll not have a comfortable ride and you will pay down the road in truck repair bills: transmission, cooling, suspension. That's an expensive lesson. So is a break down on the road.
You may be able to talk to the manufacturer, or a good dealer ( not all of the dealers know diddily about trucks) and get the specs on what your truck may handle. Stay within those and you can heve a great time. I don't want to rain on your parade. What I'm saying is carry a good umbrella.
Ash
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 12:55 PM (#1088 - in reply to #1083)

I only own one horse, an 1800lb Belgian. I'm pretty sure the weight of my horse plus the weight of a small BP stock trailer would equal the amount of weight my truck could safely tow. If i remember correctly, the trucks rated at 7500lbs? Or something along those lines. I'll also only be trailering locally to the nearby trails, about 5-10 miles away. This is my daily driving truck. And if I were rich instead of beautiful :) i'd gladly buy a larger pick-up. I think i'll stick with a small BP, I really like listing #74211. But i'll mosy on over to my local trailer dealer and see what he has. Thanks for all the info! Ashley
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-19 4:44 PM (#1089 - in reply to #1083)

Originally written by Cloud9 on 2006-06-19 10:15 AM

Ash - you need to remember that a 1/2 ton pickup is built on a car frame.

WOW, and just when i though i had heard every last justification as to why a 1/2 ton is hardly suitable to tow anything over a few thousand pounds.  you may want to ask for a refund from the indiviual that sold you that line.

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-20 6:36 AM (#1090 - in reply to #1083)

WOW, and just when i though i had heard every last justification as to why a 1/2 ton is hardly suitable to tow anything over a few thousand pounds. you may want to ask for a refund from the indiviual that sold you that line.

AMEN TO THAT!!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-20 9:53 AM (#1091 - in reply to #1083)

We just traded in my half ton pickup because my husband bought a 5th wheel camper that was too heavy for it, BUT not only did it tow my goose neck horse trailer it was a comfortable ride, within its limits, it came with a tow package(oil& transmission coolers, extra large radiator and trailer wiring) and was rated for a 10,000lb trailer.  The only thing I had to watch was the toung weight to make sure I stayed with in limits.

The DEALER and DODGE rep said the "car like ride" came from them using longer leaf springs on the truck.  Not because its on a car frame.   To counter the sag from the longer springs, I added helper springs to make it ride like a truck should.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-20 11:32 AM (#1092 - in reply to #1083)

Since you have a Draft I would assume the horse is probably 16+hands - be sure the trailer you buy is at least 7' and 7'4" or 7'6" would be even better.  It's much nicer for the horse to be able to hold their head in a natural position. 

I see that you aren't planning on driving very far, but once you get "wheels" it sure is tempting to get outta Dodge and see what else is out there. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)