Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mishap ending in a new truck!
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-21 3:29 AM
25 replies, 9627 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-16 6:55 PM (#1279)
Subject: Mishap ending in a new truck!

Yesterday the wife and I were driving down the road, my '96 Dodge 1500 starts making a funny noise (whump whump whump) up in the front end. I figure it is a u-joint starting to complain (128K on the ol' Dodge). We were out away from home 25 miles or so, figure we could finish our errands (one of which was to the Sec. of State to get plates renewed on the truck) and I would look at it when we get home. About 1/2 way home after finishing our errands in town the noise gets really bad. I slow down, start wondering if we should stop and look at it when the front end gives way- got it pulled over and the front passenger wheel is sitting at a 45 degree angle!!! Start calling for a tow truck... We just moved in November and I don't know any mechanics (I would be pushing my mechanical limits to put in a new U joint). Turns out the front axle shaft snapped!!!  When it went it took out the front u-joint, caliper, rotor, ball joints and a whole bunch of other stuff.  Lucky we didn't end up upside down in a ditch as we were miles out into farm country!  We had it towed to the local Dodge dealership, ended up driving home an '06 2500 Quad cab. They even gave me $4500 for my towed in trade (other than the front wheel, truck is clean). Now my trailer  no longer costs more than our truck. :-) And the Dodge silver matches our '06 Featherlite quite well! The 3H was pretty much pushing the limits of the 96 4X4 extended cab at 7000lbs loaded, but now I have truck to spare! Whoo-Hoo for my new truck! Gotta get the Prodigy installed- now for the part why I'm here- is the wiring harness for an '06 Dodge the same as my '96 for the Brake controller? Both have factory tow packages-

Edited by statzk 2007-02-16 7:16 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-02-16 10:00 PM (#1280 - in reply to #1279)
Subject: RE: Mishap ending in a new truck!

Congrats on the shiny new truck! Glad you didn't have a wreck.-Betty
statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-16 11:25 PM (#1281 - in reply to #1279)

I'm really happy about the new truck.  I'm really really really happy there was not a serious accident because of what happened.  I'm even more happy this didn't happen last weekend when I was hauling a horse!

New truck, new trailer- life is good!

~Kevin

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-17 8:40 AM (#1282 - in reply to #1279)

Congratts on your new truck... I love my new 2006 2500 Dodge...But, I hate the fuel mileage. I get an average of 11 to 12 miles a gal. and they tell me that there is nothing I can do to up my mileage that won't void my warranty.. But even with the mileage, I LOVE MY TRUCK... I had an 05 and got great mileage. When they designed the new 06's they sure messed something up..
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-17 9:12 AM (#1283 - in reply to #1279)

" I love my new 2006 2500 Dodge...But, I hate the fuel mileage. I get an average of 11 to 12 miles a gal. and they tell me that there is nothing I can do to up my mileage that won't void my warranty.."

That's awful mileage. I run 20mpg with my '03 Dodge 2500 4X4 unloaded. 10-11mpg with a full load in my 3h LQ trailer.

Edited by Cloud9 2007-02-17 9:13 AM
statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-17 6:49 PM (#1284 - in reply to #1279)

Well I haven't had it long enough to figure out the mileage- but I did manage to get my new truck hit today!!! Illinois Dept. of Transportation snow plow put a nice crease and scratch down the bed of my truck that has 110 miles on the OD. ;(
He was backing down the shoulder and I was stopped at a light- he swung a bit too wide and just clipped the truck. Now my pretty new truck has a HUGE 3 foot long scratch and crease down the passenger bed. Have to go get estimates on Monday...

The computer was saying 12.5mpg on the x-pressway on the way home, but I was going 75 or so. I figured it should be better slower but who knows... My old '96 with the lift kit and 5.9 Magnum motor got 11 or so around town and 16 on the Highway. Only 8 or so when towing!!!
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-17 7:10 PM (#1285 - in reply to #1279)

Originally written by ASJ on 2007-02-17 12:40 PM

Congratts on your new truck... I love my new 2006 2500 Dodge...But, I hate the fuel mileage. I get an average of 11 to 12 miles a gal. and they tell me that there is nothing I can do to up my mileage that won't void my warranty.. But even with the mileage, I LOVE MY TRUCK... I had an 05 and got great mileage. When they designed the new 06's they sure messed something up..

How many miles on your truck?  The mileage dosen't start coming up until about 30,000

miles.  If you have 4.10's you should get around 16-17 mpg and 3.73 you should get 18-20 mpg. Gotta keep it at 70mph.  Anything greater and it will hurt your fuel mileage.

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-02-17 9:11 PM (#1286 - in reply to #1279)

Originally written by Cloud9 on 2007-02-17 9:12 AM

" I love my new 2006 2500 Dodge...But, I hate the fuel mileage. I get an average of 11 to 12 miles a gal. and they tell me that there is nothing I can do to up my mileage that won't void my warranty.." That's awful mileage. I run 20mpg with my '03 Dodge 2500 4X4 unloaded. 10-11mpg with a full load in my 3h LQ trailer.

I'm getting about 11-12 pulling my loaded 3-horse gooseneck.  Manual trans, dually, quad cab, 2 wheel drive.

The Cummins diesel is a THRILL pulling this load.

Get about 20-21 on the highway at 68mph, unloaded.  9000 miles on the truck, so things will get even better.

Mike

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-02-17 9:14 PM (#1287 - in reply to #1279)

Originally written by statzk on 2007-02-17 6:49 PM

Well I haven't had it long enough to figure out the mileage- but I did manage to get my new truck hit today!!! Illinois Dept. of Transportation snow plow put a nice crease and scratch down the bed of my truck that has 110 miles on the OD. ;( He was backing down the shoulder and I was stopped at a light- he swung a bit too wide and just clipped the truck. Now my pretty new truck has a HUGE 3 foot long scratch and crease down the passenger bed. Have to go get estimates on Monday... The computer was saying 12.5mpg on the x-pressway on the way home, but I was going 75 or so. I figured it should be better slower but who knows... My old '96 with the lift kit and 5.9 Magnum motor got 11 or so around town and 16 on the Highway. Only 8 or so when towing!!!

Heheheheh.  Sorry to hear that!  I had about 2000 miles on my new truck--including the 1000 mile trip home from the dealer--when I backed into my trailer's gooseneck.  Had the tailgate off the truck, and thought the trailer was lifted high enough... BAMMMM!!  A few choice words, and $300 later, I had the dent gone and new paint/undercoating.  Truck is just about good as new and I can't tell where the dent was.  They "pulled it out" instead of replacing metal.  Not sure how that works, but it is virtually perfect and I can't tell anything ever happened.

I'm sure it'll fix just fine.

Mike

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-17 10:09 PM (#1288 - in reply to #1279)

I hope Illinois is better about fixing your truck than the state of Tennessee.  When I was in the insurance business, one of our customers was hit in the front end by a state truck with a plow.  Granted the person was also a state employee, but he was driving his own personal truck and was pulling out of the parking lot.  Basically, the state said they were self insured and we never got anything out of them.  We had to file it on his insurance and charge out a collision deductible.  Hope you have better luck than I did when I had to work that claim.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-17 10:21 PM (#1289 - in reply to #1279)

Boy I sure hate to hear about your truck. I would be sick...

I now have 18,030. miles on my truck and the mileage hasn't change since mile 1. I had an 05 with a 410 rear end and I got between 15 and 17 on it. Our 03 3500 gets between 15 and 17 unloaded and around 11 to 12 with either one of our trailers hooked up.

I just don't understand what in the world they did between 05 and 06 to make such a big difference.

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-17 11:32 PM (#1290 - in reply to #1279)

Originally written by robdnorm on 2007-02-17 10:09 PM

I hope Illinois is better about fixing your truck than the state of Tennessee.  When I was in the insurance business, one of our customers was hit in the front end by a state truck with a plow.  Granted the person was also a state employee, but he was driving his own personal truck and was pulling out of the parking lot.  Basically, the state said they were self insured and we never got anything out of them.  We had to file it on his insurance and charge out a collision deductible.  Hope you have better luck than I did when I had to work that claim.

Now you have me all worried!!!  IDOT has the same "self insured" deal, although the driver of the plow truck told me to get estimates, then you send them to IDOT and they cut you a check.  The driver of the plow truck was cited for "impropper backing".  I already called IDOT and got the ph# for the claims office.  Too bad they will not be in the office until Tuesday...  That is 3 full days of worry!  I haven't even told my insurance agent about the new truck yet- although he does know I was looking as I called him about the towing insurance while on the side of the road with my broken down old one Wed. night!

How do I know what gears are in my truck?  I looked and do not see it anywhere on the sticker.  Does anyone know if the harness for my '96 truck brake controller (Prodigy) will work with the new truck or do I have to order a different one?

Edited by statzk 2007-02-17 11:34 PM
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-18 5:54 AM (#1291 - in reply to #1279)

Good luck on your claim - I worked for a state claims unit at a University - I found things worked best if you can find one person within the Claims Office that can help you.  That way you've got someone your can "bug" if things get bogged down.  If it's like the State of CT, things work slowly, but if you stay with your contacts you can usually get it done. 

Regarding your gear ratio on your new truck - Do you still have the Window Sticker?  Every Dodge I've looked at had the ration on the Window sticker.  If not, then I think you would have to track it down based on your s/n.  I'm sure the dealer could help with that.

Edited by SHMANN 2007-02-18 5:57 AM
HorseTrainersHusband
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-18 6:24 AM (#1292 - in reply to #1279)

congrats on the new truck. I run a 4 horse gn loaded and pull it with my 02 dodge 3500 dually and get right at 15mpg, granted i have 3.55 rearend and run up to 75mph and still get 18-20mpg unloaded. I thinks it is interesting that they even put this rearend in such a heavy duty truck, i run at 75mph on the interstate and am usually only at 2200 rpm's.
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-18 10:53 AM (#1293 - in reply to #1279)

thanks for the info on the 06 dodges fuel mileage.. that is scary hope they get that worked out.. i have a 05 with 28000 on it and get around 22 not pulling and 14 pulling 3h lq alum trailer..i dont have any thing added for help scared to do that becasue of warrenty right now maybe later on.. i hope this truck last me 150000-200000 anyway.. as far as the brake controller i traded a 02 2500 for the 05 3500 and i think but not positve that the wiring harness was different but if so you can pick them up easy.. good luch and congrads on your new truck and trailer enjoy!!!
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-18 11:01 AM (#1294 - in reply to #1279)

You have 14 days to notify your agent that you traded vehicles in most cases.  I would make sure I found someone at the state and keep their direct line or extension handy and stay on them night and day.  It's like the old saying that the squeaky wheel gets the oil.   We tried everything down here with that claim from calling our local politicians at the state level to get some help.  Of course, it might have been an isolated case since the guy was actually an employee of the state.  However, it involved his personal truck and he was clocked out for the day.  Each state is probably different though.  If all else fails, you can turn it in on your insurance and have them subrogate the state.  This way the truck gets fixed and then your insurance has to deal with getting their money back.  Either way, you will be able to get it repaired.
rose
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-02-18 11:21 AM (#1295 - in reply to #1279)

Happy new truck!  My 06 2500 Dodge got whacked by the gooseneck at 350 miles;  somebody didn't lock the gooseneck (not me this time).  There should be a "pigtail" in your glove box that you wire onto your controller and then plug it in.

I am getting 20+ mpg running around (regular cab, long bed, 4x4).  Haven't checked towing mpg.  Truck has less than 4k miles so far.  And I love the Cummins and my Dodge.

spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-18 11:40 AM (#1296 - in reply to #1279)

congrat's on the new wheels! we sold our 04 ford 6.0 (liked the power&trans,not all the problems) bought a 05 srw dodge cummins and fell in love,then we decided to order a new trailer with bigger L/Q's so we bought a 06 dodge drw with the cummins,fuel mileage stunk! we took it to dodge thet ran program on it and it seemed to have more pep and we now have 14k on it and with the trailer we get about 12 to 14 mpg and 19 to 21 mpg highway. i had 4:10's in the ford but ordered 3:73 rears on the dodge, best move i ever made that cummings has more than enough power. good luck with IL dot,call your state rep asap.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-18 2:04 PM (#1297 - in reply to #1279)

Hey there... Do you know what kind of program that the Dodge dealer ran on your truck? All I can get from the dealer that I bought mine from (5th truck from this dealer) and the local dealer is that they know that the new 06's get bad mileage but they don't know any thing to do about it. I almost hate that I traded my 05 in for the 06, but I really like the dodge and wanted a few extra's that my 05 didn't have. Our 03 3500 is great and gets good mileage. It is a 5 speed. My 05 and the 06 are both auto trans. My son has an 05 2500 6-speed and gets 19 to 21 on it. But even with the mileage I love my truck and all it's extras.

Sure hope you get your new truck fixed without a lot of hassle. It's bad enough to have a messed up new truck without having to deal with the hassle. Maybe your insurance company will pay first and go after them for you. I had a problem in the past with another insurance company and my insurance company took care of me first and went after the other company so I was worry free..

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-18 9:18 PM (#1298 - in reply to #1279)

If they gave you that much for your trade they made it up elsewhere...sad but true.
spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-19 10:06 AM (#1299 - in reply to #1279)

asj, sorry they said it had to do with the injection system and the timing being different from 05 to 06. if i remember correctly my check engine light came on so i took it to the dealer and they reprogramed the computer, it helped so i did not ask any more questions,i wish they would get it fixed i still do not have the mileage i had with my 05.i was considering aftermarket airbox and exhaust i do not think that voids any warranty issues and heard it improves mpg and power.anyone have some input about doing this to a 06 cummings?
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-19 4:15 PM (#1300 - in reply to #1279)

I asked about an air intake and was told it would void the warranty. We just put one on our 03 3500 just to give it a little more air for cooling, but if we take it in for anything we will have to take it off first. I asked about a K&N filter and was told not to use it on my 06 by the service dept. at the dealer because the 06 pulls to much air and would suck all the oil out of it. I know the last time I took it in for an oil change they checked my air filter and it looked like a rats nest. It was pulled all apart. It was sucking the filter into the intake.
spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-20 8:39 AM (#1301 - in reply to #1279)

crazy, on my 05 the dealer tried everything to sell me a k&n filter. i have heard not to use a k&n on the 06 but a dry filter aftermarket system.i will ask the warranty guy on my next oil change,there has to be somthing wrong or a design issue if they are pulling the filter in,that tells me that it is not getting enough air from the getgo.any DODGE dealer have a comment . signed, would not hesitate to give my DODGE a new HOME!!!!!
statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-20 12:00 PM (#1302 - in reply to #1279)

Originally written by huntseat on 2007-02-18 9:18 PM

If they gave you that much for your trade they made it up elsewhere...sad but true.

I would think so too, but if they did I sure can't find it!  We got the new truck for less than the interweb says the dealer invoice was by about $5K, more than $13K off the window sticker price out the door.  Love the new truck, and after going to the auto show this weekend and seeing the sticker prices on all the trucks there I am in shock we got our 2500 Laramie for the price we did!  Sticker price was $43.9K, with trade in we paid $27.5K.

Found the gear ratio- 3.73s in my truck.  2500 4x4 Quad cab Laramie w/ 5.7 Hemi.  I wanted a Diesel but then I would have had to get an '07 and miss out on $10k of '06 savings from Dodge.

Also got in touch with IDOT today.  They are sending me the claim form- we'll see where that goes.  I do have a direct line ph# and a persons name now.  Suprised they called me back so soon- I left a VM a couple hours after the accident and got called back this AM @ 9:30.

Edited by statzk 2007-02-20 12:04 PM
rose
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-02-20 7:02 PM (#1303 - in reply to #1279)

Statzk: Did you find the "pigtail" in your truck? Should be in the glove box, it's included with the towing package.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)