Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4x4 truck, trailer height problems
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-02 12:18 AM
34 replies, 12576 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 12:22 AM (#1414)
Subject: 4x4 truck, trailer height problems

We purchased a used 2 horse gooseneck with dressing room last year. It's a big, solid trailer and we got a good deal on it! Love it. However, haven't used it since we bought it - truck needed a hitch installed, brake controller, etc.

We spent the winter doing these things and finally went out to hook up the trailer last week.

Well, barn owners husband had to move the trailer once and used his little F150 to park it. It's on a slant, nose down a little bit :( add to that the 6 inches of snow that has fallen since - we went to hook it up to truck - HD2500 4x4 - and couldn't! As high as we cranked it, we were 4 inches short.

Now I'm reading that 4x4's are higher and that our trailer may not ride level! I'm panicking. Prior owner used a F350 dually to tow it - I don't think she had 4x4.

I'm really hoping it's the slant of the ground, plus the 6 inches of snow, that are getting in the way - and that the extra height of the 4x4 isn't going to make this trailer useless to us. I've done a lot of work on it. Guess I'm an idiot for assuming the 2500 would be able to tow it :(

Any opinions? Someone mentioned we need to get jacks to at least get it up on the hitch and out of the hill it's sitting on and see how level it is on flat ground, which might be a good idea.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-02-27 5:27 AM (#1415 - in reply to #1414)
Subject: RE: 4x4 truck, trailer height problems

Put a block under the front edge of the trailer and crank up the jack, Then put a block under the jack foot and crank it up.

When you park the trailer, Make sure to use as much of the adjustment as possible with the drop leg, then crank the rest.

It drives me crazy when my nephew uses my trailers, His truck has 10 inch lift and his bumper hitch is much higher than mine. When he unhooks the trailers, it's always much higher than my hitch. I have to make the adjustment in order to get the trailer lowered enough to get it on my ball.

Gooseneck hitches have adjustments in the coupler. Raise or lower it so that you have adequet clearance over you bed rails and hopefully have a level trailer. The newer 4x4 trucks just seem to keep getting taller. (see post Dodge looses customer by HWBar)  My 2006 F350 sits a little higher than what my trailer is designed for. I've been trying to decided if I want to lift the trailer or take it back to the dealer and have him add 2-3" to my axles so my trailer rides level.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 7:18 AM (#1416 - in reply to #1414)

There are several similar threads that you should review.
Be VERY CAREFUL with the alternate jacking of the trailer under the front of the floor and then with the landing gear. ESPECIALLY if you're working on snow/ice/slush. You'll almost certainly be under it when doing the jacking of the floor, things could slide, snow could crush, etc.

Once you get it on your truck the next two issues are riding level and tailgate/truck side clearances. It should ride a bit "nose high", but not enough to throw too much of the load onto the rear axle. There are several other threads on this and trailer/side-rail clearance.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 11:24 AM (#1417 - in reply to #1414)

Thanks guys - I really really hope that once we get it out of it's "ditch" and the truck off of the snow that it will at least ride "semi" level and not too much weight will be on the back axle :( I have done searches and it's not good.

BTW - it's not a newer truck - it's a 1993. But I think that the hole the trailer is in, plus the height of the snow the truck was sitting on (while the trailer was sitting on the ground with snow around it) was what was giving us the difficulty. We aren't going to try it again until the snow clears so hopefully then it won't require jacking etc. and we can at least get the thing out!

I can't imagine having to block this trailer to get it higher, it's already waaayyyy high off the ground. At least it seems to be to me!

It's just unfortunately one thing after the other - right now we can't even get the lights to work (we are told this might be because we couldn't get it hitched up - the ground might be through the hitch - not hitched up, no ground, no lights?).

Sigh!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 12:00 PM (#1418 - in reply to #1414)

Originally written by Gaelic on 2007-02-27 10:24 AM

right now we can't even get the lights to work (we are told this might be because we couldn't get it hitched up - the ground might be through the hitch - not hitched up, no ground, no lights?). Sigh!

No .. The grounding through the hitch is never correct.  Consider your brakes being activated through a moving contact covered in grease !...  More likely your ground wire connection or plug is corroded.   If it's the ground

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 12:25 PM (#1419 - in reply to #1414)

Thanks. I didn't think that sounded right! I know nothing of wiring, but it's such a mish mash of wires that I'm tempted to rip the whole thing out and do it all over, so I know it's done right and I can find everything! Right now it's a mess.

I just need to find a book on how to do it...can't be hard, right??!!!! RIGHT??//13 16
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 12:56 PM (#1420 - in reply to #1414)

Originally written by Gaelic on 2007-02-27 12:25 PM

Thanks. I didn't think that sounded right! I know nothing of wiring, but it's such a mish mash of wires that I'm tempted to rip the whole thing out and do it all over, so I know it's done right and I can find everything! Right now it's a mess.

I just need to find a book on how to do it...can't be hard, right??!!!! RIGHT??//13 16

As hard or as simple as you make it (-:
Are you asking for wiring help ?

Here is a start; http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.aspx

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 1:01 PM (#1421 - in reply to #1414)

Reg, I'm asking for help period ;) ;) ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to tackle the re-wiring myself. I don't like how it's done and I can't tell where anything goes, plus, it's basically a mess.

At some point someone used an extension cord to do some of the wiring leading into the trailer I think? Husband (who is about as clueless at wiring as I am) says this is "alright" but I've never seen this before. Anyway, since it's held together with duct tape practically (wiring, not the trailer!) I think it's best if I start from scratch. I'll check out that link!

Many, many thanks!
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 1:48 PM (#1422 - in reply to #1414)

Before you get involved in rewiring, try spraying the ends of the connectors on the trailer and the truck with WD-40. That'll help you get a good connection (WD-49 =Water Displacement Formula #40). If the trailer has been setting outside for awhile it's very possible for some moisture to get into the plug and cause a poor connection.

You might also have the BO's husband move the trailer with his F-150 to someplace level with solid ground. Then place some rather large 4" lumber or a couple of pieces of 2" under where the landing gear comes down. If everything is on level, solid ground or paved driveway, you'll be safer and more likely to have success hooking up.

I like to carry a couple of 4X4s and some 2X6 or 2X8 on our camping trips. The 2X8 give a large footprint to prevent sinking in the mud. You never know what the campground will be like. My Bison 3h LQ trailer has double landing gears. So, I take twin sets. My Dodge 2500 4X4 is high. But it has no trouble handling the big trailer.

You're right that the 6" snow plus the trailer being nose down are the most of your problem. You have some good advice from Reg and Painted Horse. Take it slow and safe. You should be fine. Don't rush it. That's when accidents happen. Good luck.

Ron
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 2:09 PM (#1423 - in reply to #1414)

OK, FREE (worth every penny) advice follows - its OK to ignore it, just dispose of it responsibly by recycling the electrons, etc.

I think you should attend to any work the coupler needs first, on the basis that if you get it hooked up and try to YANK IT out of a "ditch", or even over a snow mound, that coupler had better be in good shape.
Then the wiring, you want to be able to at least actuate the brakes.
Then the brakes, magnets, etc.
NOTE; at full power a set of 4 brake magnets will draw 12 amps (3 amps each). A battery charger can be a very effective tool for checking that all 4 brake magnets are at least hooked up. Blue wire to ground wire (usually white).

OK, here's a little bit of DETAIL on the jacking up part;
You will want to use a decent floor jack, something better than a wheel changing scissor jack or the tippy little "8 ton" bottle jacks that places like Walmart sells.
FIRST Chock the trailer's wheels !
You (or hubband) are going to be under it from time to time.
With melting snow and shifting of weight it COULD start to roll, fall of the jack - bad, VERY BAD things could happen very soon after that )-:

Crawl under there and measure how far back the first cross member is from the one that runs across the front edge of the floor.
Cut a 2x8 long enough to overlap both that cross member and the front cross member by 2 inches. e.g. if they're 2 inches wide spaced 16 inches on center, cut a 22 inch long 2x8.
Use this on the TOP of the jack to spread the weight of the trailer onto the first and second cross member.
It would probably be a good idea to put a couple of fat nails or screws 2 inches in from each end to act as stops so the board doesn't slide out from under the cross rails, although I havn't actually done that.
Use another length of 2x8 for the jack's ground pad, maybe a foot long, this one can save you a lot of work since you can actually raise the trailer instead of just pressing the jack into the snow (or mud). Use at LEAST 4x4 blocking, do NOT trust bricks, cement block or cinder block.
I have several 8ft 4x4s that I've cut into 6 16 inch lengths, I arrange them in a cross stack pattern with the bottom row running down my driveway for drainage. My trailers are on block stacks when not in use anyway, they are more stable with the jacks less extended and I don't have to worry about sinking.
I wouldn't wait until the snow is gone, I wouldn't be able to anyway (-:
You'll need the blocking whether it is snow or mud and a dozen 16 inch 4x4s are kinda handy to have around anyway.

DISCLAIMER:
This is probably incomplete, although I tried to include everything and write as clearly and unambiguously as I could - use it at your own risk and DO take care.
If you're in any doubt, just DON'T !
It could be WELL WORTH $100 to have someone more adept at this stuff do it for you.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 3:02 PM (#1424 - in reply to #1414)

Thanks for the advice!

I am now officially Very Nervous trying to jack this thing up so we can move it/hitch it up. But the snow won't be gone for awhile, and the more I think the more I realize we may have to do something to jack it up and get it out of there. Sigh.

I really hope it's the snow and the dip it's in that are giving us grief.

We are going to be very very careful (the idea of us crawling under there makes me cringe) and will take all safety precautions. Thanks again.

Edited by Gaelic 2007-02-27 3:14 PM
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 5:49 PM (#1425 - in reply to #1414)

Just have the last guy that used the trailer hook up to it, crank the jack all the way up, push the jack leg all the way down, and if there is still room between the foot and the snow, ground or whatever, add a board or two, crank the jack down, move his truck and then hook up. Use the time you saved measuring, cutting and worrying to have a cold beer, or considering where you are, maybe a stiff drink. Don't stress over this, it ain't no big deal.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 6:00 PM (#1426 - in reply to #1414)

Heh heh it's -30 out, but I might take you up on that good stiff drink ;)

Unfortunately, BO who dumped trailer where it is is in no hurry to move it again (he did not like where we originally parked it) and his truck also will not navigate the snow now surrounding the vehicle (hence the 4x4 on our truck). I am loathe to approach him about the subject, as well, one of the reasons I am anxious to get trailer moving again is I'd like to move the mare to another farm. But that's another story ;)

I went today to get a circuit tester, wire strippers, some other odds and ends. I was lost in a sea of parts and NOTHING was in the same place as our local Canadian Tire is being renovated. I left in a very foul mood and now I'm thinking of just lighting the trailer on fire and paying someone to move mare :( :( GRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 6:09 PM (#1427 - in reply to #1414)

Tell BO if he doesn't get his ass down there quick, he will have to deal with the charred remains of what once was your trailer. All it takes is conviction to follow thru. Ain't no big deal. Not worth the stress.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 6:20 PM (#1428 - in reply to #1414)

Haha you keep saying ain't no big deal but I ain't getting trailer budged any time soon as barn owner (a) doesn't care and (b) his truck won't get through the snow to move it anyway. Dinky toy of a truck, he has. That's why it's so damn LOW in the first place.

I am stressed.

It is a big deal.

Turning trailer into a giant bonfire might be very gratifying. ;) ;) ;)
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 6:41 PM (#1429 - in reply to #1414)

Not trying to make light of your situation. I'm sitting here with a cowboy from just south of Calgary, and he asks where you are located. If it's not too far, he will send somebody to move your trailer and adjust the BO's attitude toward things. Don't stress, life is too short.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 6:51 PM (#1430 - in reply to #1414)

Trucks, trailers, "electrical stuff" and most "mechanical stuff" behave much like horses.
If you have doubt they pick up on it and THEY become doubtful.
If you approach the task (or jump) with confidence you get cooperation and it all works out. {Zen and the art of making inanimate stuff cooperate}
Forget the beer or stiff drinks, that doesn't work for riding & jumping, it doesn't work for mechanical tasks either.

'scuze me, I have to go and help with the cutting out of a DRESS right now,
I'll be right back...
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 7:03 PM (#1431 - in reply to #1414)

I know you aren't making light ;)

Very kind of the Calgary Cowboy, unfortunately I'm in Toronto - southern Ontario - and it's a heck of a commute (and several provinces) away! I'd love for him to adjust the BO's attitude though. Again, whole different story. My escaping my current boarding situation is contingent on the trailer moving, I'd like that to happen sooner rather than later ;)

Reg - are you saying my trailer is picking up on my negative thoughts, much like my horse does? Because I'm about as negative as it can get right now. I'm surprised it hasn't spontaneously combusted already :)

Good luck with that dress thing. I can't do that either.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 8:06 PM (#1432 - in reply to #1414)

We just wondered about something else. Is the gooseneck hitch (tube) raised as high as it will go into the tube attached to the trailer? You might be able to gain a few inches there. Just a thought. Scuze me, I have to go try to get in touch with my horse's Zin so I can try to rope a steer, be back later.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 8:20 PM (#1433 - in reply to #1414)

Yeah, it is.

And I think it's ZEN you are after with that horse, my friend. Though Zin might be something I've just never heard of. What do I know, my mare wouldn't know a cow if it stepped on her. ;)
daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-28 9:14 AM (#1434 - in reply to #1414)

How about backing the truck as close as possible to the trailer aligning it with the hitch. Then dig two tracks for the back wheels of the truck to lower the back end. This may be impossible because of the snow...I have no idea since I live in Phoenix!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-28 9:54 AM (#1435 - in reply to #1414)

Folk have different thoughts, angles, attitudes, approaches towards things like this.
Just to let you know "where I'm coming from", here are a couple of thoughts.

I like to be self sufficient when I'm on the road, ESPECIALLY when I have a trailer behind me that has horses in it.
Despite my USRider membership I like to think that for MOST of the things that are likely to go wrong I can fix them and be on my way before they would get to me. Sure, the truck could blow an injector pump, fuel pump, etc. and I don't carry spares for those - they are UNlikely, could happen, but unlikely to. Flat tires, serpentine belts, fuel filter, etc. I carry spares and the tools to do roadside replacement. I do ALL the preventative maintenance MYSELF, so I know that the truck hasn't just been parked at the dealership for the day and had an oily rag wiped over a few places that some owners might check. Following the "Chinese bearings" scare (old thread) I even carry a spare brake drum, pre-loaded with bearings and grease.

For THIS little predicament... and from MY mindset... there would probably be value in the learning experience for Gaelic & hubby to get this trailer out themselves.
This is just an opinion, with a little explanation of how I got to it.
If frustration, anger or lack of confidence start to cloud things then it might well be better to have someone else do it, but sooner or later they will have to go through the learning experiences of hooking up and unhooking in less than perfect locations/conditions.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-28 12:13 PM (#1436 - in reply to #1414)

Ah yes.

The learning experience. I agree, I'd rather know how to do it myself, really.

I've had plenty of opinions on another board (oh yes I like to torment multiple people at the same time ;)) who have said "pay someone to get it out for you" or WORSE "pay someone to do the wiring".

Well, in a sick sort of way I'd like to do the wiring myself - mostly because (a) I want to know how it works if I ever have a problem and (b) I want to know it was DONE RIGHT.

Also, I have no lights, how on earth will I get it TO a shop without lights or brakes?????

BTW - it appears someone along the line has wired this trailer using an outdoor extension cord. Is this correct? Or is it a band-aid solution? I do NOT plan on doing this, just curious.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-28 2:11 PM (#1437 - in reply to #1414)

Originally written by Gaelic on 2007-02-28 11:13 AM

, I have no lights, how on earth will I get it TO a shop without lights or brakes????? BTW - it appears someone along the line has wired this trailer using an outdoor extension cord. Is this correct? Or is it a band-aid solution? 

Without lights or brakes, moving an empty trailer is best done carefully during the day.  Can be done, just be slow and careful. 

As for the extension cord wire.  If the wire size is correct for the current, it isn't such a travesty.  It is surely rated for the voltage.   The bigger issue is the cord like not likely to be oil or weather resistant.  Two issues a trailer must contend with.

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-28 3:36 PM (#1438 - in reply to #1414)

Yeah, but not knowing if the brakes work or not (wiring) I'm SO nervous doing it. Terrified, actually. Sigh.

I've spent the entire day poring over all the information so kindly given me, and it's starting to make sense (YAY!). I've also found a NAPA auto parts store that I'm going to instead of Canadian Tire, hopefully they'll have more stuff I'm looking for all in one place instead of me getting lost in the rubbermaid aisle looking for wire strippers for an hour.

Now...to figure out the colours....every website says something different ;)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)