Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
First time buying a truck and trailer
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-11 8:49 PM
14 replies, 6079 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

mylittlebaymare
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-09 3:54 PM (#1560)
Subject: First time buying a truck and trailer

I am looking into buying a simple, safe but not fancy, used 2 horse trailer and a truck (probably used also) to pull with. I just have a few general questions...

-What is the reccomendation between bumper pull and gooseneck trailers? I am buying on a budget, and I have noticed that bumper pulls are substantially cheaper, but I have also been told that goosenecks are safer and easier to tow. Are there any good resources I can read up on about the bumper pull vs. gooseneck debate?

-I am definitely getting a truck, not an SUV, to pull, but I'm sure I don't need a Ford F350 or anything THAT heavy-duty for a 2 horse with 2 average sized Thoroughbreds, do I? What requirements should I be looking for in a truck (what size, towing capacity, torque, wheel base, etc.) to pull this size trailer?

-What can I expect to pay for this combination (nice used 2 horse with a dressing room and midsize (?) used truck) of truck/trailer?

Thanks for all the help for this complete novice!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-10 12:42 AM (#1561 - in reply to #1560)
Subject: RE: First time buying a truck and trailer

Oops...Anyway, if the trailer is solid and safe, don't worry about ugly.

bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-10 12:45 AM (#1562 - in reply to #1560)

Well, computer glitch. Here is the first part of my reply.Buy the biggest truck you can afford. Better to have too much than not enough. We always end up taking a lot of stuff with us.
dallyup31
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-01-10 4:37 AM (#1563 - in reply to #1560)

Yes, buy the biggest truck you can afford. I would look around for a gooseneck. TB's are going to be cramped in most 2 horse bumper pulls.
Goosenecks pull alot easier also.
Probably find a good combo for around 10k or so.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-01-10 6:21 AM (#1564 - in reply to #1560)

I started out with a F150 and a bumper pull.

But I wouldn't go back to a bumper pull now that I've had a couple of goosenecks.

But it really depends what you do. I load up and head for the mountains. So I want to take 3-4 horses, I need to take some hay and of course a place for me to sleep.

The fuel mpg is not that much different between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck. Buy the bigger truck.

A 3 horse slant load bumper pull or a 4 horse straight load will give you more space to haul extra stuff. Even if you never plan to have more than two horses. Many folks use the extra stalls to haul, portable panels,  muck buckets, lawn shairs etc.

Of course stay within your means and buy soemthing that has been well cared for. 

horse crazy
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-01-10 8:50 AM (#1565 - in reply to #1560)

Yup, by the biggest truck you can afford and nothing less than a gooseneck to pull. You'll be glad you did. Otherwise you may find yourself wanting to trade both of them before too long.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-10 10:09 AM (#1566 - in reply to #1560)

Unlike most people here I recommend the bumper-pull for your needs.  Many trailer makers make trailers big enough for your horses to travel safe and comfortable while not breaking your bank!  I have hauled LARGE(16.3+ hand horses, not "cow ponies")horses for years in bumper-pulls and recommended them to my clients back when I was a trainer.  I would recommend brands like Turnbow, Merhow, Trailet, Hawk, Equispirit, Keifer Built...just to name a few.  You can find these used in larger sizes quite easily on this site.  You don't need to buy more trailer than you need!  In fact it keeps the moochers from asking you for a lift!

I sent a client down to Florida a few years back to buy a used Keifer with dressing room and ramp, 7'6" tall for $5K.  They made a spring break vacation out of the trip!

The truck is more about your tastes, just be sure you know the towing limits and don't exceed them!  We towed for years with a gas powered F-250, single cab...it was a tight fit but it served us well for over 200K miles of showing.  My F-150 towed the load but didn't have any power to spare and I wasn't to happy about that feeling, today's F-150's have lots more power than the older ones.  You should have your trailer style/weight in mind prior to getting your truck.

Don't feel you need to over-buy with either the truck or trailer.  You are the one driving the rig and making the payments!  If you get what YOU want then you'll be happy!

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-10 10:18 AM (#1567 - in reply to #1560)

Listing #  100915

Listing #  95247

Listing #  102299

In about 5 minutes i found these for less than $5K... and they are easy to resell!

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-01-10 11:17 AM (#1568 - in reply to #1560)

ok I'll jump in here.......yes, goosenecks are preferred but it sounds like you'd do fine with a bp unless you have tons of hills, curves etc...  I have only towed with bp- t/b's/ warmbloods, and there are many good ones out there- personally preferred the Merhow and Hawk as they come standard 7'6" for the big guys, Hawk is a close second but the weight was a factor with the preferred rumber floor.  Trailets seem to be very similar to Hawk. 

For the truck, don't know so much, only my experiences- i have a Tundra V8 that hauls/stops over 6000 lbs easily- if the weight gets much higher might opt for something beefier.  Freinds have Ford, Dodge, and Chevy- all 3 seem to have numerous repair issues but haul well (theres an oxymoron!)  Not sure of their engine sizes- Ford is a 250. 

Make sure you check the weight of the trailer you do want, surprising how they can differ!  Good luck!

RoperChick
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-10 12:17 PM (#1569 - in reply to #1560)

I agree with what others have said, get the biggest truck you can afford.  A 3/4 ton will probably be plenty of truck for what you will be doing.  A gooseneck trailer is more stable, but a bumper pull would be fine too.  But... if it were me and I could afford the gooseneck that's what I would get.
10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-01-10 12:57 PM (#1570 - in reply to #1560)

1 Spend a lot of time reading the archives here. Go though them page by page and read everything that looks like it would be useful or interesting. There is a lot of good stuff here, trust me.

2 Familiarize yourself with the legalilities of licensing and registering the truck, the trailer, and yourself appropriately in your state. You may find that going 'bigger and HEAVIER' opens you up to issues you may not want to deal with. Talk to your insurance broker as well.

3 There is a book, "The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining, and Servicing a Horse Trailer" that is excellent. My local library has a copy and I found it was well worth the read.

4 Spend some time watching the prices of used trailers in your area. I found it cheaper to buy a brand new Titan 3 horse gooseneck than to buy a similar sized trailer used (here in Ontario) and I looked for nearly a year!

Above all, have fun.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-11 4:00 PM (#1571 - in reply to #1560)

You have some good advice here. Especially, look at the archives. There are several to many threads answering similar questions.

We pulled stock trailers for years hauling two to four horses with 3/4 ton Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks. Moved up to a diesel when we got into Big LQ trailers.

You should do fine with almost any 3/4 ton truck. I would NOT recommend trying a 1/2 ton as they just are not robust enough. 1/2 tons are cars with a pickup bed. 3/4 ton ia a truck.

When you're ready to look at trailers, fist thing is to know your horses' heighth,length and width. Not heighth at the whithers but to the top of their heads. Then measure the trailer compartments. The horse needs some room to move and to raise and lower his/her head. We had one trailer that was great except that our 16.3hh 1400 lb Appendix QH was cramped in the stall. If you can, try loading your horses in the trailer before you buy. If possible, take a test ride without and with your horses to see how they accept it and how well it handles with your truck. There are many people who say slat load is the best and many others who like straight load. I like slant myself as horses seem to load easier. But it's really personal preference - the horse's preference. You don't want to lay out 5K for a trailer that your horse won't load into.

Then, have someone who knows trailers go over it with you to check the floor top and bottom, welds, brakes, tires, suspension, possible leaks, etc. DO NOT consider a trailer with no brakes or faulty brakes. They're death traps. Also make sure that you get a brake controller on your truck. If you are mechanical you can install it yourself. Otherwise get it done by a professional. It is your lifeline in an emergency.

Spend some time in advance. Then just go out and enjoy your horses.

Happy Trails.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-01-11 6:52 PM (#1572 - in reply to #1560)

Originally written by Cloud9 on 2007-01-11 5:00 PM

You should do fine with almost any 3/4 ton truck. I would NOT recommend trying a 1/2 ton as they just are not robust enough. 1/2 tons are cars with a pickup bed. 3/4 ton ia a truck.

any modern 1/2 ton will EASILY handle a 2h bp.  you are certainly free to your opinion but you need to step up about 20 years in the automotive industry if you want to give usefull advise.  take a look at the specs of a modern 1/2 ton, brakes, engine, weight, etc........now compare those numbers to the "3/4 ton trucks" of years gone by.  it will open your eyes. were you hauling horses 20 years ago?   some of these new 1/2 tons are absurdly close, and in some cases better than the 3/4 tons that i was driving, and the 2h bp hasnt changed much. 

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-01-11 7:08 PM (#1573 - in reply to #1560)

Originally written by mylittlebaymare on 2007-01-09 4:54 PM

-What is the reccomendation between bumper pull and gooseneck trailers? I am buying on a budget, and I have noticed that bumper pulls are substantially cheaper, but I have also been told that goosenecks are safer and easier to tow. Are there any good resources I can read up on about the bumper pull vs. gooseneck debate?

jmo, a gn is a waste of space, weight, and money on a 2h trailer. the gn will not tow any better with that short of a trailer.  a gn advatages do not come into play until larger trailers are needed.

-I am definitely getting a truck, not an SUV, to pull, but I'm sure I don't need a Ford F350 or anything THAT heavy-duty for a 2 horse with 2 average sized Thoroughbreds, do I? What requirements should I be looking for in a truck (what size, towing capacity, torque, wheel base, etc.) to pull this size trailer?

sounds like you will be in the ~5000# trailer range.  i would look for a 1/2 ton with a v8, 4.10 rear gear, and towing package already installed. a 3/4 ton would not be unreasonable and would likely already be set to tow. how far, how often, is a larger trailer in the trucks future and will the truck be "tow only" would influence my decision between 1/2 vs 3/4 ton.

-What can I expect to pay for this combination (nice used 2 horse with a dressing room and midsize (?) used truck) of truck/trailer?

to many variables at this point to hazard a guess.

mylittlebaymare
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-11 8:49 PM (#1574 - in reply to #1560)

Wow, thanks everybody who responded! I will certainly take everything you have said into account, what good stuff I have to research now! And yes, when I go to actually look at trailers I will be taking a good friend who knows what she's doing.

Again, thanks, and happy trailering!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)