Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck bed Tents
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-06 8:26 PM
3 replies, 5497 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-03-05 8:29 AM (#1699)
Subject: Truck bed Tents

Has anyone ever used a tent that goes in the back of a truck bed? How well do they work? What are the best ones out there? What features should I get? Since current finances are making me lose hope that I'll ever get my gooseneck, I was wondering about these things. I hate tenting it, but maybe having it up off the ground would make it a little more bearable. Thanks!

Edited by Dunagain 2007-03-05 8:30 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-03-05 9:04 AM (#1700 - in reply to #1699)
Subject: RE: Truck bed Tents

Before we got our LQ we used the truck tent several times.  It worked pretty well for us.  We had a small freestanding canopy to set our chairs under and cleaned out the horse trailer to use for storage and a place to change clothes.  If you are camping with electicity, take an electric blanket or fan (depending on the weather) to keep you comfy.  A small set of steps (I used my 2-step mounting block) will make it easier to get up on the tailgate and crawl in.  

I feel your pain.  It was a while before we could save up enough for a decent weekend trailer.  But I didn't let that keep me from going and you shouldn't either.  It is SOOOO much fun and relaxing!

RIDE ON!

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-03-06 9:59 AM (#1701 - in reply to #1699)

Some friends of ours have one that they used before they had their gooseneck trailer. It seemed to work out well for them as long as the weather wasn't terrible. The only drawback I see is that you have to unload everything from the pickup box before setting up the tent. And that can be a lot of stuff when camping for a weekend if there isn't enough room in the front tack room in your bumper pull trailer. They used a lot of Rubbermaid totes.

My wife and I looked into them. I do not remember having too many options to choose from. Both brands I found seemed very similar--zipper door, screens, rainfly, etc. If it is an option, the rainfly that extends past the tailgate is nice. You can be out of the tent and still stand under the fly.

My wife and I bought a used 8' pickup camper instead. Paid $500--roughly double what the tent would have cost. But we have better protection in bad weather, regularly sleep up to four people, and don't need all the Rubbermaid totes, as most stuff just stays in its place.
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-03-06 8:26 PM (#1702 - in reply to #1699)

Thanks for the info! That's one of my main concerns is weather. I've been camping before (slept in the back of the trailer after cleaning it out) and have been thankful for the solid roof above me MANY times! The camper idea sounds good, but I don't have anywhere I can keep it when it's not on the truck...and we can't keep it on the truck. I live in a subdivision and board my horse, so while they'll let me keep my horse trailer at the barn, I think they'll draw the line at a truck camper too. Hmmmmm....maybe I'll win that lotto and this whole subject will be moot! 52
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)