Working Truck World
'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Questions about weight that a truck can pull
Moderators: windy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-19 11:40 PM
2 replies, 4798 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General -> Truck Talk
Refresh
Message format

rmcdaniel
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 11:24 PM (#1889)
Subject: Questions about weight that a truck can pull

I have a few different questions? I am looking for a trailer, but I only have 2wd  1/2 ton truck with a 5.3 liter engine. I am very confused about the GVWR stuff. How do I know how much weight my truck can pull? I am currently looking at a 3 horse sooner with a dressing room, the owner says she pulls the trailer just fine with a 1/2 ton although her truck is 4wd.

A friend of mine suggested that I get a transmission cooler for my truck to aid in hauling, What are these, how do I know if my truck already has one, and how do they help in hauling?

Does it matter what size tire you have on your truck for hauling a trailer?

My truck sits lower to the ground than most 1/2 tons, also it is a short bed does this make a difference in hauling?

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-04-19 11:31 PM (#1890 - in reply to #1889)
Subject: RE: Questions about weight that a truck can pull

this subject has been cover on this site so if you do a search you should  find a lot to read also the sticker on the door should tell you the pullin that your truck can do or the manual also will have this information
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-04-19 11:40 PM (#1891 - in reply to #1889)
Subject: RE: Questions about weight that a truck can pull

Look in your owners manuel for the trailer weights.  It should have the trailer max weight for bumper pull trailers but if you are getting a gooseneck, keep reading it will give you a different limit for 5th wheels/goosenecks.   If you don't have the manuel, you should be able to  the manufacturer web site and e-mail them and they will be able to look that information up for you.  Dodge did for me. 

A transmission cooler will help keep your transmission from over heating.  If you have it, you will have TWO smaller radiatior looking things mounted in front of your radiator, one is the cooler the other is for the air conditioner.  I think that is also where the oil cooler is mounted if you get one.

As far as tires, you need to look at what you have and see what weight they are rated for.  It is stamped on the tire wall.  If your unsure, stop by any tire shop and they can look at it and tell you what it is rated for.

A short bed CAN make a difference if you get a gooseneck.  You have to be carefull to not hit your cab when making sharp turns.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
(Delete all cookies set by this site)